Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok... so i just got my caliber exactly 1 month ago, just got it tagged on friday... i've loved the car! it's great! yesterday on my way home from work, boom. tire blowout. sidewall. bent the rim enough to where the dealership is saying the rim is damaged, not repairable. here's the thing... i'm about 99.9% sure i didn't run over anything. with the rim bent the way it is, i would have heard it. without a doubt. any suggestions in dealing w/ the dealership? personally, i think it was a bad tire. also, if it was the bent rim that caused the tire to pop, then wouldn't the tear in the tire extend to the rim? just a question... thanks for any advice

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, I don't know about yours but mine came with Firestones on it. Wasn't there an issue with those having blowouts on Ford vehicles a few years ago? Since you have only had it a month and the blowout was on the sidewall AND that just happens to be where the rim is bent I say it was manufacture defect. I would fight it all the way. Plus, if they still have the tire you might be able to figure out if something hit it from the outside by dirt or markings. That still doesn't discount the bent rim. Had the rim not been bent a slight hit on the outside of the tire wouldn't have burst it so easily. I say stick to your guns...I'll back you up, not that that is worth much though lol

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
tires themselves come with warranty, if they said you hit a curb you would have a long scuff around the wheel (as it spun against the friction)... i would start with how you bought the car based on it safety ratings and had this happened at a worse spot could have been very dangerous and demand the dealer repair or replace the wheel as well as all 4 tires which may be deffective and see how that goes. call dodge too

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes Firestone comes on the Calibers. I thought Firestone had fixed the problem. They recalled tons of their tires due to that a few years ago.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a similar experience with my first Ram pickup. I had a sidewall blowout - the dealer sent the tire to a local "authorized" Michelin warranty center (who turned out to be some schmuck at the local tire store) where they claimed that I must have somehow damaged the tire. Long story short, I paid for a replacement tire. Read your tire warranty book cover-to-cover and DON'T let them initmidate you.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
*WARNING: THREAD HIJACKING IN PROGRESS!

Hey Froglove: nice avatar! GO BIG RED!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm not sure how they decide which ones go one there. There were two tire warranty booklets in my "packet" when I got mine. I had the one for Dunlop and for Firestone. The salesman said that he wasn't sure which one was on mine which makes me think it isn't the dealership but who knows.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think all the 15" wheels are fitted with Dunlops at the factory. The 17" Firestones were designed just for the Caliber and are hard to find a decent replacement for so far. The "T" rated Firestones are junk with their thin sidewall. Every car i've owned the last few years have had H, V or Z rated tires like the European models.

·
Registered
203 Posts
BethJ said:
Well, I don't know about yours but mine came with Firestones on it. Wasn't there an issue with those having blowouts on Ford vehicles a few years ago?
Yes, but that was due more to Ford recomending a lower tire pressure than Firestone which caused excess heat build up on the sidewalls from them flexing while the tire rotated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so my dealership just called. they're basically tellilng me tough luck. $200 to replace wheel and tire, wheel they can have tomorrow, 3 weeks on the tire. Also, not covered by any warranty. Now, common sense would tell you if you ran over something that caused your rim to bend/tire to pop, you'd hear it, right? Only thing i heard was the tire popping. I'm so beyond frustrated right now, I don't know what to do. I LOVE my car, but I'm getting a bad taste in my mouth from Dodge (or my dealership, I should say)... I did submit an email to Dodge's customer service explaining the situation. I have to wonder if this is going to be a recurring thing?? My wife previously had a Dodge Avenger and suffered about 6 blowouts in 3 years time. 17" rims, goodyear tires. Am I overreacting for thinking that??

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is why I always buy the road hazard warranty on every tire I buy. But I would think the factory would include some sort of a limited warranty on the tires for blowouts and stuff like that. I haven't personally read my warranty info yet to know for sure.

Also, now woudl be a good time to just purchase new tires so you can get the road hazad warranty. You can get some 235/55/17s for around $100 a tire with probably no waiting. Will give you better handling from the wider tire, and the option to buy the road hazard warranty to protect you from situations like these.

And I'd recomend calling DC customer service as opposed to emailing them. Will probably get quicker results. You also might want to try talking to the manager of the dealership, and if that doesn't work, request to talk to the regional manager for the dealer. The higher you go, the more likely they will be to help you to avoid problems.

·
Registered
689 Posts
scotty_doesn't_know said:
so my dealership just called. they're basically tellilng me tough luck. $200 to replace wheel and tire, wheel they can have tomorrow, 3 weeks on the tire. Also, not covered by any warranty. Now, common sense would tell you if you ran over something that caused your rim to bend/tire to pop, you'd hear it, right? Only thing i heard was the tire popping. I'm so beyond frustrated right now, I don't know what to do. I LOVE my car, but I'm getting a bad taste in my mouth from Dodge (or my dealership, I should say)... I did submit an email to Dodge's customer service explaining the situation. I have to wonder if this is going to be a recurring thing?? My wife previously had a Dodge Avenger and suffered about 6 blowouts in 3 years time. 17" rims, goodyear tires. Am I overreacting for thinking that??
Go down there and take pictures of the tire, a sidewall blowout is NOT normal wear and tear, you would have to have hit something bad enough to have marked the tire.

Then go to a tire dealer for the tire and make a report, get them to state what they think caused the blowout. It may come down to you having to file a claim against the tire company for the tire and wheel. Dodge dealer should replace tire and wheel, unless they can prove it was your fault, hard to do on a sidewall issue, but I'm sure dealer and tire company will try to fight you over it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
scotty_doesn't_know said:
I have to wonder if this is going to be a recurring thing?? My wife previously had a Dodge Avenger and suffered about 6 blowouts in 3 years time. 17" rims, goodyear tires. Am I overreacting for thinking that??
With 6 blowouts in three years, I think I'd start questioning driving habits as opposed to tire brand. I've been driving since 1993 and have only had two blowouts that whole time. One was on my '93 S-10, had a rear tire blowout. Don't know why. and the other was on my Dakota, had a Pirrelli Scorpion blow out because I ran over something and the tire was going low. I didn't know I ran over anything, but looking at the tire afterwards, you could see the hole in the tread where I had hit something. Saved me from a speeding ticket too since it blew out right as an undercover was catching up to me. Both times they were rear tires.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I agree. The burden of proof is with Dodge/Dealer to prove you hit something. If the rim was bent causing the tire to fail then it should be a warranty item. Dodge must prove it was caused by you hitting something or that the tire failed in which case Firestone is responsible. Call DCX customer service. Be polite and explain the situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks, all. some very good advice being offered here. i live in kansas city, and i know our roads aren't the best... but like i said. i have never had a blow out before (18 yrs of driving)... ironic thing is, my wife and i were just talking about her avanger incidents (6 blowouts, 3 years... and she is a careful driver, froglove =)... ) and i was mentioning how i'd never had a blowout.. i think that was last week? ha... must have jinxed myself, huh?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts