Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you wondered what would happen if a tire went low...

I have the EVIC display. I got in my Caliber last night and started it. A chime went off. My EVIC display had changed to show the tire pressure in the four tires with the banner LOW TIRE. The number for the left rear tire was blinking "26" (ideal is 32). Funny thing, the right rear was also showing 26 but it wasn't blinking. In addition, an amber alert light came on under the tach. I filled the right rear tire (and at the same time brought the other tires up to the right pressure) but the EVIC display still showed 26 for the left rear. After a few blocks of driving the pressures for all four tires creeped up to where they more accurately reflected what the pressure in the tires were and that left rear tire indicator stopped blinking. The lesson here is you can't go by the tire pressure display in the EVIC to know when to stop putting air in your tire! It lags WAY too much!

·
Registered
47 Posts
is there a way to disable the TPM system? it drives me crazy with false readings.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Bulldogger said:
I would never rely on my EVIC to tell me how much air is in my tires.
I try to check my tires at least once a week with a pressure gauge no matter what the EVIC thingy says. But the thing must work cause after having the car sit in the sun the side where the sun is shining on always shows a couple lbs. higher. Once you start driving it becomes even on all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
198 Posts
xlimodriver said:
I try to check my tires at least once a week with a pressure gauge no matter what the EVIC thingy says. But the thing must work cause after having the car sit in the sun the side where the sun is shining on always shows a couple lbs. higher. Once you start driving it becomes even on all 4 wheels.
VERY GOOD POINT! Always measure your pressure, and inflate the tires, WHEN IT IS COLD!! That is the only way to accurately measure the pressure. Else, the tire could expand in the sun quicker than the inside air expands, or vice verse, and lead to wrong readings. The TPS is only a warning, use a gauge for accurate results.

As far as lag- the TPS system is a wireless transmitter in the valve stem, and the receiver in the car. The transmitter has a battery. To extend the lifespan of the battery in the valve, it only comes on, measures, xmits the data, once per minute while driving, and once an hour while parked I think. Otherwise, the battery wouldn't last 5-7 years, rather 1-2.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sean said:
As far as lag- the TPS system is a wireless transmitter in the valve stem, and the receiver in the car. The transmitter has a battery. To extend the lifespan of the battery in the valve, it only comes on, measures, xmits the data, once per minute while driving, and once an hour while parked I think. Otherwise, the battery wouldn't last 5-7 years, rather 1-2.
That explains the lag I talked about. Thank you very much. It also explains why, after parking it for only two hours, I suddenly had an air pressure alarm when I started up the car. Because there was alarm after the two hour park I thought I had parked on a nail or something. Where do you find this minutiae?

·
Registered
198 Posts
donsmith said:
That explains the lag I talked about. Thank you very much. It also explains why, after parking it for only two hours, I suddenly had an air pressure alarm when I started up the car. Because there was alarm after the two hour park I thought I had parked on a nail or something. Where do you find this minutiae?
I have the TPS in my 02 van- I remember reading it back when. (http://www.wjjeeps.com/tpms.htm) .. (the DC van is only a "You have a low tire somewhere" alarm, not tire specific, so if you get a warning, you have to figure out which one it is.)

Question though (and it might be in the manual)- when you rotate your tires, do you have to retrain the TPS so it knows there was a swap, OR is the TPS intelligent enough, based on signal strength, that the fronts are now the rears for example???

I think the Cali spare does not have a radio valve in it. (my van does however!)

Neat feature, but nothing beats a good mtce, IMHO.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes, there is a reprogramming sequence that needs to be done when you rotate. And also, the spare does have a TPS sensor in it, this is how the vehicle is able to see that you are using the spare.

·
Registered
39 Posts
donsmith said:
If I remember correctly I read it on the manual. I think it was suppose to read the pressure every 4 minutes but if it detects a huge change among readings, it will start reading it every minute. I know I remember the principle correctly but I'm not sure about the intervals (4 & 1 Minute) :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
athos1800 said:
If I remember correctly I read it on the manual. I think it was suppose to read the pressure every 4 minutes but if it detects a huge change among readings, it will start reading it every minute. I know I remember the principle correctly but I'm not sure about the intervals (4 & 1 Minute) :)
From this page I found the following:

1. None moving tire reports every hour
2. Tire moving over 25MPH reports every minute
3. Loss of 1.5PSI reports every 5 seconds
4. Full system report upon ignition

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tigerr said:
And also, the spare does have a TPS sensor in it, this is how the vehicle is able to see that you are using the spare.
I didn't see a larger valve in the spare- I'll look again tonite.

The BCM can also detect a spare via the higher revs per mile/minute since the spare will be smaller. If its like the PT, the ABS will shut down with a 3% delta in revs on one tire.

I wuld have thought, like that Jeep site, if the spare had a TPS, it would show and monitor it as well in the EVIP.

I'll check the RT later 2nite.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hhhmmmm... if the spare does not have a pressure transmitter, then there's no way to alert you that your spare has gone down? Tires are so reliable these days that it's not uncommon to go so long between flats that you forget about checking the spare manually. Then, something does finally happen and your caught with a flat spare.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tigerr said:
Yes, there is a reprogramming sequence that needs to be done when you rotate. And also, the spare does have a TPS sensor in it, this is how the vehicle is able to see that you are using the spare.
Page 214 in the Cdn manual states that the temp spare is NOT tps equipped. I pulled up on the spare, the stem does not look like a TPS equipped one.

As well, it states that "3 of the 4 wheel wells have a TPS receiver". (I'll guess that the passenger front is the one that does not, call it a hunch). Again, I'll also guess that the tires/sensors do not have to be retrained once rotated since the closest receiver will pick up its closest tire, and its the receiver that tells the EVIC which tire (wheel well) is at what pressure.

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR SPARE, make it a habit....

My $0.02

1 - 17 of 17 Posts