Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I did a quick search but couldn't seem to find what I'm looking for. How does the Tire Pressure Monitoring system work? Is it something that attached to the valve cap? Something in the RIM?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Basically there's a wireless sensor on the inside of each of the 4 wheels (rim). I would guess after that, the signal is transmitted to some place where it goes through the computer and displays in the dash on the left hand side.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The sensors are in the valve stems on each wheel. They are battery powered wireless transmitters. The batteries are supposed to last at least 5 years.

If you have this option and purchase new tires make sure you tell the tire shop to NOT replace the valve stems. Normally tire shops install new stems when purchasing new tires.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So its in the stem itself? What about for aftermarket wheels? Is there a special stem that can be ordered for them?

Also, if its all done wirelessly, could the car get confused if its driving beside another Caliber? Is there some kind of vehicle specific coding?

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can buy the sensors separately so if you ever got a second set of wheels (i.e. snow tires) you should be able to get the proper stems.

Watch out though, the training magnet doesn't work on steel rims i believe, you will need to get the dealer to re-program/train the TPMS when you switch to steelies.

The range should be short enough that another car shouldn't interfere. By training the sensors, the car knows which sensors belong to it so therefore i would say it is highly another caliber would cause interference.

Now in the rare case that there is interferance from something i think EVIC will display a mesage like "TIRE PRESSURE UNAVAILABLE". When the interference is gone it will then display "TIRE PRESSURE NOW AVAILABLE".

Edit: Ah i was looking over the important notes and it does say:
- CAUTION: Do not attempt to install a tire pressure sensor in an aftermarket wheel. Use tire pressure sensors in original style factory wheels only.

- CAUTION: The TPM system has been optimized for the original equipment tires and wheels. TPM system pressures have been established for the tire size equipped on your vehicle. Undesirable system operation or sensor damage may result when using replacement equipment that is not of the same size, type, and/or style. After-market wheels can cause sensor damage. Do not use tire sealant from a can, or balance beads if your vehicle is equipped with a TPM system, as damage to the sensors may result.

So therefore i would advise against using it in an aftermarket wheel, the disadvantage is then the TPMS will be complaining all the time. If you need a set for Snows then you should try to get another set of the factory rims, for example if you have chrome wheels maybe just get the normal style ones.

·
Registered
901 Posts
tkyoshi said:
...So therefore i would advise against using it in an aftermarket wheel, the disadvantage is then the TPMS will be complaining all the time....
bummmerrrr to those people who have the EVIC and changed out their tires/rims.... paid for a feature and can't use it.

Also, if they weren't aware of the need to save the valve stems, those things are long gone... bummer #2. So if they ever want to go back to their stock rims, they'll have to buy new valve stems from the dealer.

·
Banned
400 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
bummmerrrr to those people who have the EVIC and changed out their tires/rims.... paid for a feature and can't use it.

Also, if they weren't aware of the need to save the valve stems, those things are long gone... bummer #2. So if they ever want to go back to their stock rims, they'll have to buy new valve stems from the dealer.
Not a bummmerrrr at all, I have the EVIC system and AFTERMARKET WHEELS! Just a light that stays on while I'm driving. Doesn't bother me at all. Plus I'm not lazy, can always check the pressure myslef.

On the bright side of things, there are plenty of people who've had their TPS installed with AFTER MARKET WHEELS! Also, I know a PROFESSIONAL WHEEL SHOP that WILL INSTALL my old TPS with my AFTERMARKET WHEELS!:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well i'm sure you can do it with aftermarket wheels like you said. Basically they say that so if you get wacky/faulty readings it's not their fault. Also if something goes wrong with aftermarket wheels then there is no warranty which is totally fine because why should they have to warranty problems caused by non-original parts anyway.

·
Banned
400 Posts
tkyoshi said:
Well i'm sure you can do it with aftermarket wheels like you said. Basically they say that so if you get wacky/faulty readings it's not their fault. Also if something goes wrong with aftermarket wheels then there is no warranty which is totally fine because why should they have to warranty problems caused by non-original parts anyway.
Exactly my man! What they should be doing, is GETTING WITH THE TIMES! Maybe they should start making CUSTOM WHEELS OF THERE OWN! I don't mean that cheeeeeeeeap BS either!:D

·
Registered
357 Posts
after all the trouble we had coming up with a "TPM" bypass on another car (to accomodate aftermarket wheels and high performance rubber/different psi's) I would rather not have such a system. too much of a good thing re:hi-tech, windoze, you name it. just ask korea what with their failed nodongfly missile. LOL!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I emailed my dealer today and if I did want to order a set of TPM Valve Stems I'm looking at $63 CAN each. I was also looking at getting a set of the 15" SE rims for my snow tires, but they want $82 CAN each for those.

Anyone in Ontario selling a set of 15" SE Rims? I'll even take the tires too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts