Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of trading in my 2006 Dodge Charger R/T on a Caliber R/T or SXT depending on how the test drive goes. I might even buy two Calibers, pretty stupid right? Let me explain.

I take the bus to work downtown to save on gas and parking. If I'm going to the grocery store or the mall or anywhere in town, I take my old beater, a 1996 Corolla. The only times I have driven the Charger are on 20+ mile trips, something I don't do very often. Basically, the Charger sits in the garage other then when my wife occasionally drives it to work.

I won't drive it in the rain. I won't drive it in the snow. I won't take it to a car wash. It takes two hours for me to hand wash it very carefully.

I'm thinking if I replace both cars, both my wife and I will have a decent car to drive around town or to work.

I bought the Charger with the intent of not driving it and keeping it a really long time. It has turned out to be lot less fun than I thought, especially for the payment. I have one car I'm afraid to drive because it's too cool, and one car I'm afraid to drive because it's too old. I goofed up. An expensive lesson, but I don't think I'll be buying any more cars that I don't intend to drive.

So, should I go ahead with it and get a couple Calibers (or other cars) or I should I just get over it and start driving the Charger around town, let my wife drive it to work every day, wash it at the car wash, and get rid of it in 7 or 8 years?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
bluedog said:
I'm thinking of trading in my 2006 Dodge Charger R/T on a Caliber R/T or SXT depending on how the test drive goes. I might even buy two Calibers, pretty stupid right? Let me explain.

I take the bus to work downtown to save on gas and parking. If I'm going to the grocery store or the mall or anywhere in town, I take my old beater, a 1996 Corolla. The only times I have driven the Charger are on 20+ mile trips, something I don't do very often. Basically, the Charger sits in the garage other then when my wife occasionally drives it to work.

I won't drive it in the rain. I won't drive it in the snow. I won't take it to a car wash. It takes two hours for me to hand wash it very carefully.

I'm thinking if I replace both cars, both my wife and I will have a decent car to drive around town or to work.
I bought the Charger with the intent of not driving it and keeping it a really long time. It has turned out to be lot less fun than I thought, especially for the payment. I have one car I'm afraid to drive because it's too cool, and one car I'm afraid to drive because it's too old. I goofed up. An expensive lesson, but I don't think I'll be buying any more cars that I don't intend to drive.

So, should I go ahead with it and get a couple Calibers (or other cars) or I should I just get over it and start driving the Charger around town, let my wife drive it to work every day, wash it at the car wash, and get rid of it in 7 or 8 years?
that is funny but i can garanty you ones you drive a caliber you just dont want to stop anymore ,its fun ,its cool but its definitly not cute:D ,cheers thomas

·
Registered
154 Posts
I can understand your point, I once had a car I intended only for the third sunny sunday afternoon of the even month, etc. It wasn't fun at all, the only good part is that when I sold it I got top dollar, because it had low miles and perfect body.

My Caliber is the best of both worlds, I love using it everyday, but it's also the first car I've had in a while that I actually want to wash every week and keep pristine at the same time. If it were just a little bigger I would have traded the Caravan for a second one but maybe in a few years when there's less baby crap to haul around, and the more I drive it the more I love it :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
i'll tell you right now, as fun as it is to drive a caliber, it doesn't compete to the charger for overall feel and power. but since you barely drive the charger, then you won't be mimssing out much.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Personally, I'd keep the Charger and start driving it more, and replace the Corolla with a Caliber. Enjoy the car you have. The Charger is a nice car,especially the R/T with the Hemi. Gas prices have gone down. People who buy cars to sit and look pretty are just stupid IMO. I buy my vehicles to drive. Unless it's some rare or special edition model(not a R/T) it will take a VERY long time to get any type of return on your investment. The Dakota R/T isn't worth anything anymore. You can pick them up all day long for under $10K and thats in good shape with low miles. And when compared to all Dakota's sold, it's a "rare" model. But even the low number ones that we know about like the 32 regular cab blue R/T's made in 1998 aren't worth anymore than the 1000+ Red ones made in '99.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have the Caliber R/T and Charger Daytona. I drive both vehicles with the greatest pride...so far weather hasn't restricted my choice at all. <1st winter is close upon us though> Many good suggestions above. I'd say drive the Charger and enjoy it. You'll get a bit better MPG with the Caliber R/T (rated and demonstrated 23 inner city), but you'll immediately notice the difference in engine power. I haven't driven the Caliber SRT, but I still don't think that it'll put aside the mental stimulus of "the move" given by the Charger. Any of those Calibers would be a good replacement for that Corolla though. ;-)

Tyke

·
Registered
413 Posts
I say drive it............but still take care of it. Thats what i would do. dump the 96 corolla and get a caliber to alternate with the charger just to keep some of the abuse down to a minimum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts