Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the dealer the other day getting my Caliber rear brake something in the back fix (still not fix but the dealer told me it was). Anyways while I was walking around the lot I saw a Nice Black Nitro SLT for 23k with everything that I want. So I think to myself damn I should of waited because I paid 20k for my Caliber.

**Anyways to resure everyone here that I love my Caliber and I like the way the Nitro looks. So dont say anything about why you bought the Caliber or the Nitro looks ugly stuff like that.**

Back to it, I had my car since June or July 2006 with 5k miles on it. And still own around 18k on the car. Question is has anyone traded in their Caliber for a Nitro or any other car that they havent paid off? And how much was the trade in value? Because every web site I check didnt have the Caliber listed.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'd say trade in would probably get you about $15K on it depending on the dealer and options. If you are trading it in to buy a new Nitro, they may roll the extra money into the discounts on the nitro, so you will probably end up having to pay sticker for the nitro with no negotiations. Only thing you could do is take it to the dealer and see what they will offer you. I'd say definitly test drive the nitro before you decide to buy or not. Had a friend that really liked the Nitro and was all set to buy it until he took it for a test drive. He didn't like the way it felt when he was driving. Your experience may differ though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah I was thinking about seeing what they would give me. I prob do that tomorrow just to see....

·
Registered
644 Posts
i try and sell it yourself, then go buy your nitro. the calibers are still popular enough, you should get a descent buck for it... definately more then you would trying to trade it in.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Man I did the same thing.. they had a new orange sxt at the dealer 2 weeks after we bought ours and I kicked myself... it was sweet looking and the back sliding floor is a cool addition too!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
boostdog said:
Man I did the same thing.. they had a new orange sxt at the dealer 2 weeks after we bought ours and I kicked myself... it was sweet looking and the back sliding floor is a cool addition too!
Yeah thats how I'm feeling right now. I use to have a 96 Ram and loved it, taking out the curves are fun and easy. Now I have to avoid everything I run over, but the Caliber takes off faster and saves gas.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
boostdog said:
the back sliding floor is a cool addition too!
Cool addition yes, but from what little I've played with them, it sems to me you lose the rear storage bin, where our spare tire is, in the back with the sliding tray addition. I couldn't find a release or anything to allow you to access it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Scjon03 said:
...Back to it, I had my car since June or July 2006 with 5k miles on it. And still own around 18k on the car. Question is has anyone traded in their Caliber for a Nitro or any other car that they havent paid off? And how much was the trade in value? Because every web site I check didnt have the Caliber listed.
I posted the following a few months ago about a friend who traded his Caliber for the first Nitro that our local dealership received:

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2623&highlight=Nitro

However, I believe he had paid cash for his Caliber.

It was pretty loaded and (like mine) from the very first batch of Calibers the dealership had received when the Caliber was released.

I believe he paid sticker for it, around $19,000 at the time.

I believe the dealership gave around $15,000 in trade, and sold the Nitro right at sticker as well. The fact that both sales were for vehicles that were first-on-the-lot may be rather unique factors in that case, but I'd say that in your situation the trade-in and other allowance estimates that HSKR provided in his first response are excellent. Maybe a bit less in offered trade-in; a lot may depend on your particular Caliber model and features that could effect the demand for it as a low-mileage trade-in used vehicle - and the dealership's operating principles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
so did you end up doing anything?
I got rid of my durango and bought a black RT in August. Then about a month later the nitro came out. Man was I pissed. I would have bought that instead. I lease a Caliber also, so I am thinking of getting out of my lease early to lease either a Nitro or a Grand Caravan. I do like the way the Nitro looks but I do want to drive it first before I get my heart set on it. I read it's built on the same line as the liberty and I don't like the ways those drive.
Good Luck on whatever you decided.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I went into a Mazda dealership after I had owned my Caliber for about a month to see what they'd give me for trade in on a mazda-3. I managed to work them up to around $17k for my R/T nearly fully optioned out. So 15k sounds like a decent number to work with.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'd never trade a car in. Always sell my cars myself. The Caliber should get about $3,000-$4,000 more that trading it in. Dealers love to fudge numbers and may offer a rather high trade in value but it'll be against MSRP on a new vehicle. A lousy deal.

The Nitro to me is way over priced. Only 2 years ago I bought a new 2004 Hemi Durango SLT 4x4 for 23K. I saw 2x4 Nitros going for more than that. Too high for me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Update,

K today I went to the dealership to see the Nitro's, find a nice Black SLT, everything I wanted.

Long story short I got 15,500 trade in, worked the dealer from 12000 to 15500. MSRP was 17 something.... 17300 something like that...

The Nitro test drive it, no rattles, no problems, nothing. I made sure because this time I turn the radio off and listen closely. The test drive was very nice and smooth, no vibration at all in the wheel. The only thing is after delivery the paint has little swirl marks and the steering wheel has a little scratch on it. The dealer is taking care of it tomorrow.....

I know I lost lots of money but its better now than later where I wont get nothing off of it....

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Glad you got want you wanted. Be aware though you switched a first year model with another first year model. You can likely expect issues and maybe even identical issues you had before.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Congratulations on the Nitro. I looked at them when I bought my Liberty. I liked it alot, but I couldn't pass up the huge rebate they had on the Liberty. as far as first model year...yes it is a first model year, but mechanically it is based on a stretched Liberty chassis so I don't think you'll have many issues. The Nitro does ride smoother because it sits on a longer wheelbase, and you can get the awesome 260hp 4.0L V-6. The 2008 Liberty will be built on this stretched chassis as well

·
Registered
644 Posts
xlimodriver said:
Medic, how'd this get by you??;)
hell if you got some -->SCRATCH<-- <fixed by admin for xlimodriver!!!> for free, i wouldnt ask the dealer to change it.... ;)

bud glad theyre going to buff out your swirl marks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oops sorry for the miss spelling, oh well,

Anyways took it the dealer, they told me that since my wheel is leather and has audio controls the wheel is not here in the U.S. Has to be shipped which can take a while. Anyways they give me a choice of 3 yrs of free oil changes or wait and order the wheel.

The Scratch is like small, cant notice it unless I point it out... also since it was raining the buffing would come later...

·
Registered
246 Posts
xlimodriver said:
Medic, how'd this get by you??;)
I'm a doctor Jim, not a demi God...haha. Now I gotta go fix the other quote too.

Medic

·
Registered
187 Posts
To the person who said "he was paying cash" as if to imply that his friend got a better deal for offering cash; I can tell you from my career as a car salesman (in another lifetime) that the customer who brags that he'll pay cash is a customer that disappoints the salemen. There's money to be made in financing a car. Money from the customer as either his own cash or cash from his financing institution is all the same to the dealer; it just means the dealer won't make money in financing the car. There's no value in proclaiming to a car salesman that you're paying cash. If fact, the salesman may try to up the trade difference to make up for the loss of making money on the "back end" of the deal. As a buyer I always will tell a salesman that I'll let him finance the car if the interest rate he offers is competitive with that of my bank, and I'll usually do just that. It makes him want to sell me the car more and I feel I can make a little better deal. Even if you're going to pay cash out of your pocket, let the dealer think you're going to finance it with him until that moment when you've settled on the price. On a related subject; be aware of a dealer trying to lowball your credit score to get you to agree to a higher interest rate. Dealers will quote their "credit service" and tell you that you're credit score is less than what you just confirmed with the three major credit reporting agencies. They do this to make you think that you must have made a mistake or overlooked something and that your credit isn't as good as you thought it was. Don't let a dealer using that tactic finance your new car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts