Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We expect to take delivery of our R/T this week since the dealer said our baby had passed QA & was sitting at the factory waiting to be queued & loaded onto railcar. I've been looking for trailer hitches for the R/T model for use with a bike carrier & very occasional trailer use.

I've found the some of the big names in hitches, Hidden Hitch, Reese, & DrawTite list hitches, but specify "except R/T model" & list nothing for the R/T. I also went to MOPAR.com which seems to list all hitch accessories, but not the actual hitch.

So can anyone confirm if they've got a hitch on their R/T & what brand/model it is?

Thanks
J

·
Registered
198 Posts
I do not have one, but am looking for one. Someone here does have a hitch (from Mopar) (Blue Hawaii I think), he has an SE. His pics show that there might be an issue with the RT tailpipe since it shoots OUT vs DOWN and may (I repeat, MAY) interfere with the hitch which he/she has. I have some feelers out to a few local hitch places, if I ever get a reply, I will report back.

Here are BH's hitch pics:

Search results

·
Registered
256 Posts
Uhaul lists one...

"Thank you for your inquiry. The recommended hitch for your vehicle is U-Haul part # 24732. This hitch is a class 1 and can tow up to 2000lbs and is $129.95 plus labor. The cost of labor and other items such as the ballmount and ball must be quoted by your local U-Haul center. This is an 1 1/4" receiver"

I'm in the same boat. I want one for my mountain bikes, but don't know if I want to go the Uhaul route of the Mopar one...

·
Registered
256 Posts
That one would blend in nice if you paint the muffler like someone suggested earlier...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have the Uhaul hitch and it is one piece bolt to the frame type. No need for that extra 90 degree receiver. It looks much like a normal hitch hanging below the bumper and sticking out a bit. Just slide in tow bar/ball mount and off you go. It is on a SXT and not having easy access to an R/T I can't tell you if it will work on that model.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Mopar hitch fits fine on the Caliber R/T, doesn't interfere with the exhaust at all. I just installed one on mine today, 4 bolts and 5 minutes later it was all done. It is the one pictured in the above post.

·
Registered
198 Posts
InfernoRT said:
The Mopar hitch fits fine on the Caliber R/T, doesn't interfere with the exhaust at all. I just installed one on mine today, 4 bolts and 5 minutes later it was all done. It is the one pictured in the above post.
Good to hear, thanks.

You didn't pay $109 for the wiring converter, did you?? A $20 one will work just fine, you don't require a powered converter...

:confused:

·
Registered
199 Posts
There is lots of chatter about putting the hitch on, what it looks like etc etc. Has anyone actually USED one yet? How are these little beasts at hauling trailers around? Interested in ability of the 5 spd 1.8

·
Registered
83 Posts
coastal cali said:
There is lots of chatter about putting the hitch on, what it looks like etc etc. Has anyone actually USED one yet? How are these little beasts at hauling trailers around?
I'm very interested in knowing this as well. Still toying with the idea of hauling an ATV around.

Anyone :confused:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
reviving an older thread. Any more comment on the MOPAR receiver hitch?

Anyone that has towed a trailer, used a bike rack, etc. with this hitch? Please comment on the good & bad of this unit.

Thanks
J

·
Registered
135 Posts
jmettee said:
reviving an older thread. Any more comment on the MOPAR receiver hitch?

Anyone that has towed a trailer, used a bike rack, etc. with this hitch? Please comment on the good & bad of this unit.

Thanks
J
I have one that I use primarily with a bike rack and I am happy with it. I found out the hard way though that the hitch and the 90 degree elbow needed to make it work are sold separately. Make sure to order both at the same time.

Here is a link to some photos of the hitch with my bike rack attached.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g287/calibered/rack-1.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g287/calibered/rack-2.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g287/calibered/rack-3.jpg

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
calibered said:
I have one that I use primarily with a bike rack and I am happy with it....
How secure does the rack feel with the bikes on it? Does this hitch with the extra piece (the elbow) seem to make it extra sloppy or wobbly?

I'm really thinking about getting the MOPAR unit because of the hide-away feature when the 90 is removed....but don't want any unnecessary movement due to the difference from a traditional hitch.

J

·
Registered
135 Posts
I made and posted this little video a while back in which I have a 350 pound guy shaking the rack. The little slop that you do see is do mostly to the bike rack itself.

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g287/calibered/?action=view&current=hitch-wiggle.flv

It does not have what I would call a lot of slop. If you bought one and later found that the elbow created too much slop, you could have someone permanently weld the elbow to the rest of the hitch and then you would 100% slop free.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The trailer with the bike.

It tows very nicely, very well behaved. The only thing that I can see that has changed is that the RPM's are up about 500 to 700 from what they usually are are 65.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Valley/Thule makes a hitch for the caliber. It's a 1 1/4" opening... I have no idea how much as I am waiting to get a price for me & I sell the product.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You could always relocate the axle location to achieve
almost neutral tongue weight with the bike on the trailer,
this might lower your RPMs almost back to normal.
Just a thought!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
bigtsr said:
Just a thought!!
Yeah, the trailer has a moveable axle. It is not bad at all for tongue weight. Pulled it over 300 miles today and the car performed flawlessly.

I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bigtsr said:
Just a thought!!
Not quite. Engine strain is related only to trailer weight. Moving the axle will not affect the engine strain & only affects the vertical load transferred to the car...ultimately affecting vehicle stability. You ideally want ~10% of the trailer weight to be your ongue load.

J

1 - 20 of 24 Posts