Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I told you I would post up about the towing experience once it happened, and today, it finally did!

Setup:
2007 Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0 w/CVT
Curt Hitch, Mopar Wiring Harness
uHaul 5x8

The Curt hitch mounted right up in 30 minutes, needed some larger than what I had wrenches, but that's were work helps out. It's a great design, as there is 3 mount spots on each side rather than the 2 on the others. It doesn't stick out a lot, just enough to get at the receiver. The Mopar wire harness is ok, it seemed to be a lot more than needed. Our family has a Mopar harness in our 98 Grand Caravan LE, and it just mounts up to the rear lights, has it's own relay pack and that's it. The one for the Caliber has to be run all the way up to the front end, that's after drilling an 1.5" hole in the spare tire pan access cover. Once again, Chrysler comes through with wrong wire schematics. Though this one is an easy fix. There is a loop of wire that sticks through the harness near the relay/fuse box end, and the instructions if you have an 07 are to leave it alone. If you have an 08 you are supposed to cut it. So after getting everything plugged up, none of my lights worked. So I cut the loop, and voilà, lights work.

Drove from San Diego to Rosamond for a track day with the crotch rocket at Willow Springs. 200 miles, up and down mountains, through valleys, and through rush hour LA traffic. Averaged about 60-70 MPH on the open road, and the Caliber handled like a champ! I was supposed to get the small 1 motorcycle trailer from uHaul but the retards rented it out even though I had it reserved. I ended up getting the 5x8 enclosed trailer. The trailer itself is 900 pounds and add 450 for the bike and 80 pounds of fuel and gear. Plus the trunk and cabin were chock full of gear. It didn't accelerate for crap, but it got there eventually. Going up inclines I kept it about 50-60, and the revs were about 3-4.5k. The motor temp never went above halfway, but I never put the A/C on because that would just be too much draw on the motor. Ambient temp was about 80. I had to floor it coming onto the highway to get it up to speed, but once it was there it maintained it well, no shimmy and almost forgot I was towing a trailer. You have to plan your braking and acceleration well ahead of time though.

The best part: I got 198 miles on 10.27 gallons of gas, which is 19.3 MPG! Not bad for pulling all that weight with a little 2.0L! I wouldn't want to do it every day, and I am looking at getting a small motorcycle trailer of my own, because it pulled this lug with no prob, it will be a breeze with a smaller trailer. The trip back won't be as bad because I'll be less 15 gallons of fuel in the trailer.

Overall, I am very pleased and pleasantly surprised with the way it handled the weight. Now hopefully the race will go as well. I've already had enough crap happen with other things.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hah yup they are HSKR's hubcaps, they do look sharp.

Haha, you try doing 45, and the wheels are big enough to handle it! :wave:

·
Registered
574 Posts
I got the Mopar wiring kit and did not have to go to the front of the car. Huh. I posted my how-to on one of the Caliber sites.

Either way I am considering the CURT hitch also because of the 3 mount points instead of 2.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Sweet!

Any more pics of the wheels and the bike?

·
Registered
87 Posts
You pulled 1400 lbs plus with a CVT Caliber??? Gotta ask did you install a brake controller?? aux tranny cooler?? I haven't checked but isn't 1400 lbs more then the Caliber is rated for?

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
You pulled 1400 lbs plus with a CVT Caliber??? Gotta ask did you install a brake controller?? aux tranny cooler?? I haven't checked but isn't 1400 lbs more then the Caliber is rated for?
Off the top of my head I want to say 1500.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The Caliber is rated for 2000 pounds tow weight, 200 pounds tongue weight. It pulled and stopped it like a champ though. I don't think I would want to do it again, I need to get a smaller bike trailer. I was tooling down the freeway on the way home at 70 for most of the way. No external brake controller, and the tranny is already cooled with a core in the radiator. I didn't dare run the A/C though, that would've been too much. I've got to figure out the brake light system, I think the harness has a bad relay or a loose connection, all the other lights would work except the brake lights, which would work intermittently.

Here's a few more pics for your viewing pleasure. The track day was a blast, by far the most fun I've had in a while!

What 140 MPH in the straights and 80+ in the corners will do to a set of tires!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Whats the GVWR for the caliber? I ask only because even at 2000lbs tow rating, subtract the 1400lbs for the loaded trailer, then subtract the weight of passengers and any gear in the car. Man you were very close to being over the max. capacity.

If you do happen to do this again, you might want to think of installing a brake controller, and an aux. tranny cooler. All automatic cars have a tranny cooler in the rad, but those ones are small.

Even with a heavy duty 3 core rad on my truck I installed an aux. tranny cooler for towing. The cooler is much cheaper then a transmission.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Sweet!

Nice pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, nice pictures. Cali is pretty capable of towing and stopping if you do not go over some speed limit. I am driving mine not more than 70kmh when towing.

My Cali towing Boat (6m length, 700kg weight), handling it pretty well.

Setup:
Dodge Caliber 2.0 TDI (140ks, 103kw)
2 Wheel Drive
Manual Gearbox - 6 speed
Maximum torque: 310 Nm or 228 lb.ft
Towbar - Brink (factory mounted)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts