Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a new SXT with the CVT auto tranny, and the thing got stuck in park yesterday. According to the manual, you can pop a little plug off the side of the console and hit a reset switch, and this allowed us to shift into drive over the weekend. You have to do it every time you take it out of park. The engine light is on as well, I assume this is related to the problem. The car is at the dealer now, I'll update on what they find out. Haven't heard of this problem before on these vehicles. We had the dealer put a hitch on the car and towed a little jon boat to the river, the tranny got stuck when we were sitting on the ramp. Good thing the wife read the manual! The boat is super light, I'm sure this didn't cause the problem but maybe they did something when they installed the wiring for the hitch.

Edited to add: I think the car ran a little doggy too after this happened, seems like it didn't come off a stop light as snappy as it normally does. We have 1500 miles on the car, it is a fun ride with the Musicgate and sunroof.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good news, it turned out to be a blown fuse. It was most likely caused by a faulty ground on my trailer, since they checked the wiring harness on the hitch they installed and thought everything was OK there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Watch them headlines!! Somebody came in my office and acused me of surfing p0rn websites....
:D:D

·
Registered
343 Posts
tom sawyer said:
According to the manual, you can pop a little plug off the side of the console and hit a reset switch, and this allowed us to shift into drive over the weekend.
Funny, I was wondering what that little plug and lever was for when I was pulling the lower cover to put in the neon lights! Never saw it in the manual, guess I have to read that one over!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took me a minute to figure out the double meaning of the headline, sorry about that! I live in a small town, not many trannys in our parks. Or they're so good at it I can't tell the difference.

One thing, you might need a small screwdriver to get the plug out of the side of the console. We tried a key and it wouldn't come out, I had to borrow a screwdriver from someone at the boat ramp to get it out. The plug is on the passenger side of the console, and you stick your finger in and push down (as I recall) on a little lever.

Fortunately, it happened when my wife was with me. She actually reads directions.

But chances are, you won't ever have to do this. Unless you get a hitch on your Caliber, and then have me wire your trailer. Hehe.

We're loving our Caliber so far by the way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way, the Caliber towed my 14' jon boat and motor like a champ, made it up some steep hills better than my little S10 pickup. The hitch and wiring harness was neallry $400, installed by the dealer. The towing limit is 1000lb.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was wondering what that little button cap was for. I was investigating that when I was cursing up a storm while trying to figure out how to get the trim off the radio. I did manage to get the bezel removed with no breakage:p . Now I know what that is for, this is going to sound bad, but the reset button, I would assume resets the tranny back to default?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure what it does but it lets you shift out of park at least. I guess there is some sort of safety mechanism that is actuated electrically, which does not work when the fuse is burnt out. Might be the mechanism that requires you to step on the brake when you shift into drive, from park.

Can you tell I'm no expert?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am no expert either, thats why these forums are GREAT.

·
Registered
357 Posts
tom sawyer said:
Not sure what it does but it lets you shift out of park at least. I guess there is some sort of safety mechanism that is actuated electrically, which does not work when the fuse is burnt out. Might be the mechanism that requires you to step on the brake when you shift into drive, from park.

Can you tell I'm no expert?

this is a pretty common safety feature I think started back in the late 70's/early 80's (press brake to get out of park via shift lock / interlock mechanism). on some cars you can hear the solenoid cycle just pressing the brake pedal. so to me that means it's probably driven off the brake light switch / circuit. just something else to keep in mind troubleshooting problems...

nice to find out here about the bypass, thank you! I better be getting my owner's manual pack from the dealer!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts