Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for those of you who inquired about the tranny cooler, I have the following to show. I found this while taking the grill off to do the mesh mod.

On the top part of the A/C condenser, notice the vanes are thicker than the rest of the condenser. Also notice the lines coming on/off of it. I followed the lines on the right side to the transmission. They go into the port illustrated on the second image.

So, if you are planning to tow, looks like you'll be ok. As far as the SE w/o A/C, I don't know what your situation is.

Forgive the elementary school illustration, but you get the picture. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cool, thanks for that info. Is this standard or is this part of the towing package?

J

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope, it's standard on the SXT and above, probably if you have A/C, you have it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as I know, I imagine it's standard on the SXT and R/T. As long as you have the A/C.

·
Registered
614 Posts
This begs the question who really needs the towing pkg option? If the tranny cooler is actually standard as you describe with A/C, the towing rating would be higher as if ordering the towing pkg. Someone correct this if they know better.

·
Registered
83 Posts
TechMan said:
This begs the question who really needs the towing pkg option? If the tranny cooler is actually standard as you describe with A/C, the towing rating would be higher as if ordering the towing pkg. Someone correct this if they know better.
The difference is that with the towing package, you are probably getting an independent trans cooler instead. All vehicles with automatic transmissions have some kind of cooler, usually its just a separate chamber of the radiator, in this case it's part of the condenser. A towing package (as was the case when I had my truck) gives you a totally separate "little radiator" for the tranny fluid all by itself. The idea is that it's more efficient because it doesn't have hot antifreeze flowing right near it in the same apparatus.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mmm, interesting point. I remember replacing the radiator in the Spirit, and it had lines for the tranny as well. Like I said, I don't know if the towing package added on, just my observations.

I would like to see what the SE model does for tranny cooling though!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Trythisonforsize said:
mmm, interesting point. I remember replacing the radiator in the Spirit, and it had lines for the tranny as well. Like I said, I don't know if the towing package added on, just my observations.

I would like to see what the SE model does for tranny cooling though!
I would assume it would be the same for all trim levels unless there is a different trany cooler as part of the towing package. As for the 1.8L, no tranny cooler needed on manual trannys.

·
Registered
53 Posts
HSKR said:
I would assume it would be the same for all trim levels unless there is a different trany cooler as part of the towing package. As for the 1.8L, no tranny cooler needed on manual trannys.
Fromwhat we understand when you get the towing package you get the engine oil cooler with the 2.0 and 2.4.

There seems to be a part for a seperate Cooler for the trans but we have yet to install it on a car.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
quadrajet said:
The difference is that with the towing package, you are probably getting an independent trans cooler instead. All vehicles with automatic transmissions have some kind of cooler, usually its just a separate chamber of the radiator, in this case it's part of the condenser. A towing package (as was the case when I had my truck) gives you a totally separate "little radiator" for the tranny fluid all by itself. The idea is that it's more efficient because it doesn't have hot antifreeze flowing right near it in the same apparatus.
I would have to agree with this statement, that is it an actual separate unit that is physically separate than the main radiator.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
All automatic transmissions have the fluid run through the radiator. This allows the transmission fluid to be warmed up to operating temp during cold climates by the radiator fluid. You do not want to use the transmission hard before the fluid warms up since it won't flow right.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HSKR said:
All automatic transmissions have the fluid run through the radiator. This allows the transmission fluid to be warmed up to operating temp during cold climates by the radiator fluid. You do not want to use the transmission hard before the fluid warms up since it won't flow right.
This is true, however this is part of the A/C condensor, and not linked into the actual radiator. And it's forward of the radiator.

·
Registered
33 Posts
from my experince the tranny cooler is most of the time seperate but is still bolted on to, and in front of the rad, or condeser so i do not see much difference in it being a part of or bolted to in heat exchange

·
Registered
976 Posts
The CVT has an internal cooling system as well as the outboard unit
in front of the rad according to the CVT writeups I have read.

·
Registered
667 Posts
You can get cars in 2008 without ac????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts