Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife found out something funny, If you lock the door while the door is open then try to close it, It will not latch.

My wife does not have electric door locks on her old vehicle, and she is in the habit of getting out of the car and locking the door and closing it. It just slams and bounces back. Then unlock the door and it will close.

Let me know if anyone else's does the same. I don't see it as a problem, but kinda strange. I have only tried it on the drivers door so far.

Sorry if this is a repost, but I did a search and could not find anything about this.

Later

Mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
mine (and the mrs) both have electronic door locks, and i always set the alarm/lock before closing both calibers and have not had an issue.... may be something that only happens on the manual locks.....hopefully someone answers soon.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the factory security group that locks from the key fob so that is how I normally lock it, Most people probably don't use the manual locks anyways, but this is kinda strange.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just tried it, mine doesn't do that with either manual locking, power button on door or key fob (which still honks the damn horn!).

Always closes and stays locked.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah, the whole horn thing... too loud at night. So I turned it off. Kinda miss it during the day to confirm it's locked and alarmed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I reported that problem a month or two ago in this or the other forum..What happens is if I push the manual lock and close the door--it closes, if I use the Keyless remote to lock the door berfore closing it --it closes. If I use the power lock swith on the door and then try and close the door -- it bounces back. Really strange. I am wondering if it has something to do with failing to set the alarm (I have the DCG) which is set by the Keyless remote and the Cali' computer is just reminding you!!! After all, I think it has a little bit of Herbie in it...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I haven't checked yet, but I would imagine this as some sort of safety feature to prevent you from locking your keys in the car. If you need the keys or the fob to lock the car, there's little chance of you accidentally leaving them inside while you just push the lock down with your hand.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Most cars will not allow you to lock the doors if they are open and the key is in the ignition, first time I've heard of this set up (haven't tested my own yet, always use the remote)

·
Registered
357 Posts
my car doors shut ok if I use the door lock switch. usually do this at the beach since stash my keys already then pull the board out. haven't tried pushing the button instead, wouldn't that just lock the driver's door only?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've noticed the door bounce too.

My old car had no electronics in it (just a hamster running on a wheel), so I got used to locking the door manually too. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes, when I lock it manually, and slam the door shut, the door would just bounce open again.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I was sitting in the driveway this morning with the engine running. The wife climbs in and in the process, accidentally bumps the manual lock on the passenger's side. The door just bounced back open.

I haven't tried it with all combinations of locking i.e. manual, fob, electric, key in ignition, key out of the ignition, etc., but it does appear to be a mechanism to keep one from locking the key inside the car.

My Nissan won't allow the driver's door to lock at all when the door is open and the key is in the ignitoin. Whether manually, or lectrically, the door automatically unlocks when you try to lock it. This is so you don't lock the car with key in the ignition. However, I did lock the key in the car once while the car was running, but I bumped the electrick locks before I started the car and then closed the door after I started it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts