Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, as promised. My buddy has a turbenetics turbo <ill let u know what size after the storm passes miami>, big ass intercooler <bought off ebay>, custom manifold <he bought a "make your own manifold" kit>, 2.5" piping <made at miami mufflers, according to my friend; they are the only ones who have a mandrel>, custom 650cc injectors <sourced by the shop that put his car together>, custom 3" turbo back exhaust <made at miami mufflers>, and for engine management he went with the aem. He's looking into a tranny swap, or begging level one xmissions <in new jersey> to build his tranny up.

From a roll; I got the jump on him. Afterwords he just destroys me. By 100MPH he's got me by atleast 2 or 3 busses.

From a dig; PFFFT no question about it. His cars a beast now.

He dyno'd at 290-ishWHP and 320-ish WTQ. After his tranny work he's gonna pour more boost, he's at 17LB's right now.

I told em about these forums and he said he'll eventually get on here lol!

Strongest caliber r/t here?

·
Registered
506 Posts
ok i need to know what he has, where he got it... cuz i need to get my cali turbo'd

·
Registered
377 Posts
Bull****.

You expect someone to believe that a 2.4L DOHC dual variable cam timing 4-cylinder only gained 120 WHP and 160 ft-lbs at 17 PSI on a Garrett turbo? Maybe if it was a turbo sized for a Briggs & Stratton motor. One of two things happened here:

A) It is true and he just got a real ****ty selection of parts and a horrible tuning.

or

B) It's utter bull****.

Let's present some true to life scenarios here, Mikey's Ford Focus on FocalJet, which was the former HKS Focus car, makes 447 FWHP at 17 PSI on a 9.5:1 compression ratio with a GT3037S turbo and an HKS Type S intercooler. He runs an 11.3 @ 127 MPH. He did this with less displacement and less technology than the World 2.4L engine has.

Suneil's Ford SVT Contour, which has a 2.5L DOHC V6, still no cam timing, running a T3/T4 liquid cooled turbo, Spearco liquid to air intercooler and an 8-pass 1/2" heat exchanger, makes 401 FWHP and 380 ft-lbs. It retained the stock computer and used a custom tuned chip only. He was running a 9.0:1 compression ratio.

Any idiot who knows even a little something about cars can tell you that, the compression you run, the higher the power output. So how come this turbocharged R/T is making so much less power than the older, more archaic cars in the two above scenarios?

Then there is also the fact I have yet to see standalone engine management systems that utilized the CAN protocol, which Dodge uses and Ford/Mazda has since 2003.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
never said anything about a garrett turbo. I said turbonetics <didnt know they were the same?> Plus this is a friend from school, its not like i saw his build up from scratch! Did i see a dyno sheet? Nope, he showed me the video on his camcorder, there was a zoom into the PC screen.

Believe it or not, I could care less. Ill post more info when i see him on campus. And ill post pics for you. might take a bit cuz theres some hurricane going over miami, i have no idea when schools supposed to start again <hopefully soon so i can shut u up>

·
Registered
644 Posts
maybe on like 6-9lbs a 120 gain... if he didnt do any internal work hes in for some **** running 17lbs.
does he have a CVT transmission too? if so, i thought the CVTs couldnt hold that kinda power?
a buddy of mine is putting down 240 on a b16 running real low boost...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Darren07RT said:
maybe on like 6-9lbs a 120 gain... if he didnt do any internal work hes in for some **** running 17lbs.
does he have a CVT transmission too? if so, i thought the CVTs couldnt hold that kinda power?
a buddy of mine is putting down 240 on a b16 running real low boost...
He can be running 17 PSI and be putting out less power than that B16, if he improperly sized this turbo.

With as much torque as he is claiming, the slightest bit of wheel hop would destroy the CVT.

·
Registered
377 Posts
sheek360 said:
never said anything about a garrett turbo. I said turbonetics <didnt know they were the same?> Plus this is a friend from school, its not like i saw his build up from scratch! Did i see a dyno sheet? Nope, he showed me the video on his camcorder, there was a zoom into the PC screen.

Believe it or not, I could care less. Ill post more info when i see him on campus. And ill post pics for you. might take a bit cuz theres some hurricane going over miami, i have no idea when schools supposed to start again <hopefully soon so i can shut u up>
Garrett, HKS, Turbonetic, or Rotomaster, it doesn't matter. Should use common sense when someone tells you they are running 17 lbs of boost and only gained 120 WHP and question it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
the tropical storm that hit miami did zero damage.... schools should be open thursday, so we will be waiting for those pictures.

·
Registered
644 Posts
So what are you saying, maybe his trim size and sh*t is to big and just cant spool properly, or the turbo is to small to make efficiant power? Cuz i would think the safest way to go on this car with out snapping your CVT in 346,000 places would to maybe run a small, avg spooling turbo at low boost.... but im no gear head... like you said if he has something thats gunna boost hard the tranny is toast.. just know a little bit about alot...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hmm, I think the Jatco CVT is rated for 350 Nm, or about 257 foot-pounds of torque (it's about 1.36 NewtonMeters to one foot-pound).

Then again, no pics no care.

·
Registered
644 Posts
if someone could get EXACT spec on the CVTs tq handling id love to know... thats the only think holding me back from attempting to mod my cali more heavily.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My bad... the JF010E in the Murano was intended to handle the higher torque of those VQs... the JF011E in the Caliber is another piece of hardware.

·
Registered
140 Posts
hey guys, you want to see my twin turbo 2.4 liter pushing 350 hp, it runs the 1/4 in under 12, and im full of **** like this guy....

·
Registered
258 Posts
it been a bright sunny day in miami (and most of florida) so, where are the pics?

·
Registered
140 Posts
so umm..... did this guy just disappear? i mean any one on here knows you need pics........ especially with a huge claim like that.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts