Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new car. I just got myself a nearly new SRT-4 (neon) a couple of months back. I'm in love with the power of this light as hell car. I know i can never settle for "economical" power again. Since a much needed job fell though and student loans are coming due soon, i have to make a compromise.

Later on i was hoping to add a turbo to a 1.8L caliber. What are the steps in doing this? Will mopar release the same components used on the Caliber SRT-4? Will they fit the 1.8L block? Can it be done by a weekend mechanic (myself) or should it be left to a professional. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
RonJ2002 said:
I'm in the market for a new car. I just got myself a nearly new SRT-4 (neon) a couple of months back. I'm in love with the power of this light as hell car. I know i can never settle for "economical" power again. Since a much needed job fell though and student loans are coming due soon, i have to make a compromise.

Later on i was hoping to add a turbo to a 1.8L caliber. What are the steps in doing this? Will mopar release the same components used on the Caliber SRT-4? Will they fit the 1.8L block? Can it be done by a weekend mechanic (myself) or should it be left to a professional. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron
Hey Ron,

Right now it is too early to tell what will work with what. The main problem is that the Caliber SRT-4 is not released yet, so no one (general public at least) does not have their hands on one to test fit and tinker.

Installing a turbo does require moderate to high experience skills and differes from person to person.

Right now it is still a waiting game.

-Joe-

·
Registered
644 Posts
not sure about the 1.8, but if you woulda gotten the 2.0 at least for sure some bottom end components would line up. manifold and turbo might fir on there, but all piping and lines would have to be fabricated.. not to mention tapping you oil pan. dont know what your using your caliber for, just keep in mind boosting your 1.8 will void your warrantee in a heart beat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Darren07RT said:
not sure about the 1.8, but if you woulda gotten the 2.0 at least for sure some bottom end components would line up. manifold and turbo might fir on there, but all piping and lines would have to be fabricated.. not to mention tapping you oil pan. dont know what your using your caliber for, just keep in mind boosting your 1.8 will void your warrantee in a heart beat.
If you go 2.0L, the question becomes: how much torque can the CVT handle?

·
Registered
127 Posts
^^^ agreed

the belt pully system is a great daily driver idea, but when you put serious torque threw it, will it slip???

·
Registered
377 Posts
Darren07RT said:
just keep in mind boosting your 1.8 will void your warrantee in a heart beat.
Only if the turbo breaks something from the factory and he tries to get Dodge to pay for it.

Dodge/DCX is probably the most lienant (sp?) car company when it comes to honoring warranties. Hell I have heard tales of Neon ACR's blowing out struts at the track, the driver taking it to the dealer and the dealer had it repaired, under warranty, before the next time he had to be on the track. For those who forgot, the ACR-series of Neons was a limited production run of Neons bred for the track or autocross. Back before this whole SRT thing where it seems more like a horsepower and straight line acceleration race now with the other manufacturers, than an actual race where turns are involved.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
we're talking about standard 1.8L .. non turbo caliber here ;) lol.. the ACR is built for autocross.. so it is repaired under normal use... some dealers will void u for new wheels.. so ya just never know..

·
Registered
644 Posts
from what i was told the CVT will hold to 267hp.

·
Registered
357 Posts
240hp would be plenty fine with me :p
actually as is I think it would be too much for the disc/drums, soft suspension and 215 m&s tires. got to control myself here not to mod anything other than basics otherwise will quickly go upside down on the deal unless keep it long term.

·
Registered
127 Posts
its not a matter of how much HP it can handle, the issue would be how much torque can the tranny handle. Torque is what gives the drivetrain all its problems not HP.

·
Registered
377 Posts
suzq044 said:
we're talking about standard 1.8L .. non turbo caliber here ;) lol.. the ACR is built for autocross.. so it is repaired under normal use... some dealers will void u for new wheels.. so ya just never know..
Dealers cannot void any warranty, only a DCX zone represenative can, and it is illegal to void a warranty just because of wheels, federal law dating back to 1975.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Darren07RT said:
from what i was told the CVT will hold to 267hp.
I'd love to know your source on that, I've been casually looking for that info for a long time. Be sure it's for this specific tranny, too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
gsx rated98 said:
its not a matter of how much HP it can handle, the issue would be how much torque can the tranny handle. Torque is what gives the drivetrain all its problems not HP.
To further on this, horsepower is nothing more than the solution to an equation. The equation being, torque and RPM. The more RPMs an engine can crank and where the torque peaks, determines what horsepower is. This is how the Honda S2000 can have 240 BHP (@ 8,300 RPM), but only have 153 ft-lbs of torque (@ 7,500 RPM). While the Caliber R/T has 172 BHP (@ 6,000 RPM) and 165 ft-lbs of torque (@ 4,400 RPM).

·
Registered
644 Posts
a guy i was talking to on this board whos a tech said his friend whos a tranny mechanic took a coarse on it ..... he said 267hp cant say this is 100% true just relaying what i know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
CoolCallie said:
To further on this, horsepower is nothing more than the solution to an equation. The equation being, torque and RPM. The more RPMs an engine can crank and where the torque peaks, determines what horsepower is. This is how the Honda S2000 can have 240 BHP (@ 8,300 RPM), but only have 153 ft-lbs of torque (@ 7,500 RPM). While the Caliber R/T has 172 BHP (@ 6,000 RPM) and 165 ft-lbs of torque (@ 4,400 RPM).
That's right - as I mentioned in another thread, horsepower is just a function of torque over time.

horsepower = torque * (rpm / 5252) (.'. torque = horsepower * (5252 / rpm))

I expect both limits of the transmission to be equally important.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's all about the torque. Here's some circumstantial evidence towards a ~260 lb-ft torque capacity, but I'm guessing it's for the CVT3 that's in the Murano and not the CVT2 that's in the Caliber/Compass (doesn't make much sense to have that much "extra" torque capacity -- I'd guess something like 200 ft-lbs for the CVT2, but that's just a guess)

http://www.autotechdaily.com/pdfs/T08-02~1.PDF

Yamamoto also confirmed that Nissan will begin building continuously variable transmissions at its Jatco Ltd. plant in Aguascalientes, Mex., later this year. The facility will supply the fuel-efficient transmissions to Nissan’s nearby assembly plant in Mexico (likely for use in the new Sentra) as well as to facilities in Canton, Miss., Smyrna, Tenn., and possibly Europe. Production is expected to total about 300,000 units per year.

Yamamoto expects demand to increase as sales of hybrid vehicles grow. Another plus: Nissan’s next-generation CVT is expected to deliver slightly more torque (266 lb-ft vs. 258 lb-ft for the current system).

·
Registered
226 Posts
The CVT will never hold the torque.

When my husband and I installed my turbo kit in my 03 Neon R/T, it took us just over a week or so... Working on it all the time. There are modifications. No turbo is just a "bolt on and go" mod.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts