Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I was bored and decided to do something I have been wanting to do for a long time.

One 12 volt plug in is not enough. Kids have their 12 volty thingies. Me and the missus have our 12 volty thingies. But we can only run one at a time.

Today I followed the thread about making the 12 volt constant on and added a plug in the back seat.

Here is the view of the console out.....

Here is the underneath view of the console.....

Marking the hole.....

Installed in the console.....

Installed in the Caliber.......

Plugged in and ready to go!

Wow, looking at that I should clean the cupholders. I dont think I will take pictures of that though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
did u have any troubles taking out the center console? when I tried takin mine out it was SUCH a pain. I'm hoping i was doin something wrong and theres an easier way.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nice cupholders. They REALLY stand out!!! Cool idea for a new power outlet for "12v thingys". Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
k0cky said:
did u have any troubles taking out the center console? when I tried takin mine out it was SUCH a pain. I'm hoping i was doin something wrong and theres an easier way.
After I figured out the 4 screws on the top edge of the cubby in the console did nothing, and that the two in the bottom of the cubby are all that held it down (along with the clips in the front) it came out easy. I did damage one of the clips in the front, but a trip to Checker Auto Parts and 1.75 for a bag of 5 I was back in business.

Just a word of warning, dont take it out to far until you disconnect the *********** plug for the cup holder lights and 110v power.

I wish there was enough room to mount it on the side of the console but the seats cover too much of it. I had planned on putting one on each side. But not enough clearance with seats.

I think I may put one in the very back next.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
mr_badda_bing said:
After I figured out the 4 screws on the top edge of the cubby in the console did nothing, and that the two in the bottom of the cubby are all that held it down (along with the clips in the front) it came out easy. I did damage one of the clips in the front, but a trip to Checker Auto Parts and 1.75 for a bag of 5 I was back in business.

Just a word of warning, dont take it out to far until you disconnect the *********** plug for the cup holder lights and 110v power.

I wish there was enough room to mount it on the side of the console but the seats cover too much of it. I had planned on putting one on each side. But not enough clearance with seats.

I think I may put one in the very back next.
This is perfect timing for this thread! Just yesterday I was playing around with the console tryong to figure out how it comes out. I figured out the two screws all by my self but i figured that there were hidden ones up front so i didnt force it. I would like to run a power outlet to the back my self now that you mention it!

You could also put one inside the console as well probably

Where did you get the extra plug from?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UN4GTBL said:
This is perfect timing for this thread! Just yesterday I was playing around with the console tryong to figure out how it comes out. I figured out the two screws all by my self but i figured that there were hidden ones up front so i didnt force it. I would like to run a power outlet to the back my self now that you mention it!

You could also put one inside the console as well probably

Where did you get the extra plug from?
I got it at the local auto parts store. It is a car quest. It came with a mounting bracket that I did not use. I used a 1 inch hole saw on my drill to cut the hole. The 12 volt plug has some tabs that hold it tight inside the hole.

I ran the wires from the existing 12 volt plug. I took the shift bezel off and spliced into the pos and neg wires there.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
mr_badda_bing said:
I got it at the local auto parts store. It is a car quest. It came with a mounting bracket that I did not use. I used a 1 inch hole saw on my drill to cut the hole. The 12 volt plug has some tabs that hold it tight inside the hole.

I ran the wires from the existing 12 volt plug. I took the shift bezel off and spliced into the pos and neg wires there.
I did a similar thing as that when i installed the power inverter into our caravan last year - hard wired into the back of the plug, and we can still use that plug plus we now have two three prong plugs to plug in such things as ps2's an laptops for road trips

·
Registered
775 Posts
I added two more 12v outlets to the lower passenger side of the console a few months ago. Mine aren't as neatly done as your being recessed and all. I bought an under dash twin plug stup and mounted it near the floor near the passenger seat. There's just enough clearance that the passenger seat can slide all the way forward without hitting it. Now I can charge two cell phones and power my GPS unit all at the same time.

I've considered running one more outles to the back seats, but haven't done it yet. Pulling too much power is obviously a concern, but the only thing I power all the time is te GPS, and I rarely charge ore tha one cell phone at a time since I'm usually driving by myself to and from work. So, with the three outlets I have now, I very rarely ever draw power from all three at the same time.

If I remember, I'll take a pic or two and post them tomorrow.

·
Registered
644 Posts
looks good, but please clean your car...lol

·
Registered
683 Posts
Ayone have the link to the thread about 110v outlet on all the time? I thought there were some ramifications of this mod that might not be desireable, meaning it did more than just keep the power on the outlet.

I assume the 12vdc for the 2nd outlet is just tapped into the 12vdc feeding the inverter in the console? Thats ok but max current remains the same split between the two outlets.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Huff said:
Ayone have the link to the thread about 110v outlet on all the time? I thought there were some ramifications of this mod that might not be desireable, meaning it did more than just keep the power on the outlet.

I assume the 12vdc for the 2nd outlet is just tapped into the 12vdc feeding the inverter in the console? Thats ok but max current remains the same split between the two outlets.
It is tapped into the 12V in the front below the shift bezel. The big thing we were looking at was not having the cables stretched from the front of the car to the back. The biggest draw we ever use in front would be the iPod charger or the cell phone charger.

I have not seen a thread for the 110V all the time. I am not sure if the invertor works from battery alone or from the Alternator.

·
Registered
311 Posts
mr_badda_bing said:
So today I was bored and decided to do something I have been wanting to do for a long time.
Good job. I've been thinking about having one go all the way to the back area but haven't looked hard enough for a spot. Seeing your job, I know it's definitely possible. Thanks for sharing.

Tyke

1 - 13 of 13 Posts