Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having given some more thought to my 08 CSRT-4 there are two complaints which have continually surfaced as my biggest gripes.

First - Stopping Distances

Second - Pedal placement

1 - My 2008 Audi A5 3.2L All-Wheel-Drive, 3700 pound coupe, from 60 to 0 will stop in 108 feet. It uses brakes that are 12.6" front and 11.8" rear, all single piston calipers.

We know of course that the CSRT-4 uses 13.3" dual piston fronts and 11.8" single piston rears for stopping power; paired to a larger Master Cylinder. It has been tested by C&D, and others, to stop in 120 feet from 60!! It also weighs in at 3200 pounds (500 pounds LESS than the Audi).

So the car with smaller brakes, and more mass to stop will do it 20 feet better than the car that has a more robust brake system and that weighs 500 pounds less!? I am no physicist, but come on! :notallthere:

Will the A5 brakes last, say, as long as the SRT's on a track (fade is what I am after here)? No. I think the SRT's will outlast it there, but the simple fact is above. The heavier car with a less robust brake setup does a better job stopping the car.

Discussion please. :)

2 - There is a complete and total lack of heel-toe pedal arrangement. I consider this to be basic component of performance driving! How could the SRT engineers over-look this!? The Getrag Transmission is a wonderful paring to the 2.4L, but the full potential can't be released due to the pedal setup!! Pity.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Having given some more thought to my 08 CSRT-4 there are two complaints which have continually surfaced as my biggest gripes.

Second - Pedal placement

1 - My 2008 Audi A5 3.2L All-Wheel-Drive, 3700 pound coupe, from 60 to 0 will stop in 108 feet. It uses brakes that are 12.6" front and 11.8" rear, all single piston calipers.

We know of course that the CSRT-4 uses 13.3" dual piston fronts and 11.8" single piston rears for stopping power; paired to a larger Master Cylinder. It has been tested by C&D, and others, to stop in 120 feet from 60!! It also weighs in at 3200 pounds (500 pounds LESS than the Audi).

So the car with smaller brakes, and more mass to stop will do it 20 feet better than the car that has a more robust brake system and that weighs 500 pounds less!? I am no physicist, but come on! :notallthere:

Will the A5 brakes last, say, as long as the SRT's on a track (fade is what I am after here)? No. I think the SRT's will outlast it there, but the simple fact is above. The heavier car with a less robust brake setup does a better job stopping the car.

2 - There is a complete and total lack of heel-toe pedal arrangement. I consider this to be basic component of performance driving! How could the SRT engineers over-look this!? The Getrag Transmission is a wonderful paring to the 2.4L, but the full potential can't be released due to the pedal setup!! Pity.
Sounds like you're complaints are based out of a magazine. Have you tried to get your own results, or just basing on C&D? Do you race alot? If so, why would you buy a car without looking at the pedal arrangement? And just because the rotors are bigger, doesnt mean its the same electronic system controlling braking than the Audi. I personally dont care that it brakes in 12 feet less.

·
Registered
162 Posts
A5 3.2 $40000, CSRT4 $23000 = $17000 to upgrade the brakes and make it go so fast you dont worry bout pedal placement and still have money left over to take the lady to disney world:jester:.

Im thoroughly satisfied with both things on my csrt.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Probably because 99% of people who drive this car wouldn't use heel and toe. What size and type of rubber does the audi use compared with the Cali?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I love the braking on this car. Not a fan of the pedal placement either. I like to blip the gas when downshifting, but find it a pain in the ass because the gas is so far away.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I love the braking on this car. Not a fan of the pedal placement either. I like to blip the gas when downshifting, but find it a pain in the ass because the gas is so far away.
yeah, and the pedal doesnt have that instant response of a cable throttle. proper pedal placement and cable throttle would of made this car way better for tracking. not that i really care though, since the only racing i have ever done has been in a straight line. maybe one day for fun ill bring it to a track and try road racing.

but true, a lot more goes into a cars stopping distance than just brakes. type of fluid, electronics, wheel weight, wheel/tire dimensions, type of rubber, type of asphalt, suspension can even affect it. one of these may not cost you 20 feet, but all of them combined sure as hell can.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had a lot of cars, and while my cali takes a back seat to my cobalt ss in terms of braking, the cali is by no means bad! Just my opinion, but I think it stops pretty damn well. ( Can't tell you how bad oklahoma drivers are and how many times these brakes have gotten me out of a bad situation! )

As for the heel and toe aspect...Why not just adjust them as you see fit...adding or taking some away from the brackets down there? I'm not sure if you can since its fly by wire...but that's just my .02

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Probably because 99% of people who drive this car wouldn't use heel and toe. What size and type of rubber does the audi use compared with the Cali?
Lol yeah... and the Audi A5 comes with 245wide tires from the factory as compared to the 225...and if I remember correctly you have all the options except for S-line so that means you have the optional 19inch wheels with 255 dunlop sport summer tires which are by far sticker. Which allow for better braking lol.....

And once again your looking at magazines for performance stats? They also stated the Cali runs the 1/4 in 14.6 while quite a few members on here have run 13.8s-13.9s bone stock. Mags dont listen to them :rofl:

And I have no problem with heel to toe...I do it every day lol....rev matching is seemless in this car :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Lol yeah... and the Audi A5 comes with 245wide tires from the factory as compared to the 225...and if I remember correctly you have all the options except for S-line so that means you have the optional 19inch wheels with 255 dunlop sport summer tires which are by far sticker. Which allow for better braking lol.....

And once again your looking at magazines for performance stats? They also stated the Cali runs the 1/4 in 14.6 while quite a few members on here have run 13.8s-13.9s bone stock. Mags dont listen to them :rofl:

And I have no problem with heel to toe...I do it every day lol....rev matching is seemless in this car :beerchug:
^^^^^^^^ :rofl: dont lie, we all know you cant drive :jester:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you're complaints are based out of a magazine. Have you tried to get your own results, or just basing on C&D? Do you race alot? If so, why would you buy a car without looking at the pedal arrangement? And just because the rotors are bigger, doesnt mean its the same electronic system controlling braking than the Audi. I personally dont care that it brakes in 12 feet less.
20 feet, even 12 feet, is the difference between the stop line and being in the middle of the intersection. ;) Or how late you can brake on the track...

My A5 rubbers are 255/35/19 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT's, with I believe the same wear-rating as the CSRT's (220, A, A)

but true, a lot more goes into a cars stopping distance than just brakes. type of fluid, electronics, wheel weight, wheel/tire dimensions, type of rubber, type of asphalt, suspension can even affect it. one of these may not cost you 20 feet, but all of them combined sure as hell can.
Agreed. However, just based off mass alone, the CSRT should stop better only because it weighs less.

You must have some funky looking feet!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
20 feet, even 12 feet, is the difference between the stop line and being in the middle of the intersection. ;) Or how late you can brake on the track...
If you're driving at an intersection at 60MPH and have perfect reaction time maybe. I dont know about where you live, but I havent seen any traffic lights around here in a 60MPH zone.

My A5 rubbers are 255/35/19 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT's, with I believe the same wear-rating as the CSRT's (220, A, A)
Those stats are taken within the same tire manufacturer. You can't compare between brands, it doesnt mean anything.

Agreed. However, just based off mass alone, the CSRT should stop better only because it weighs less.
Again. You cant go on mass alone. Its like saying a fat midget should stop running faster than a muscled athletic runner because he weighs less. Yet the fat midget only has blubber for legs.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
^^^^^^^^ :rofl: dont lie, we all know you cant drive :jester:

Ouch :twak: thats cold blooded! I see you are hanging out with Uber and Un4gtbl too much now :rofl:

You must have some funky looking feet!
Thats like comparing the Veyron the Audi the Veyron weighs over 4000lbs but can stop in 103 feet how come the Audi cant do it better?

Theres quite a bit going not just weight lol....Size of the rubber, type of rubber (treadwear rating varies from company to company), type of brakes, etc etc and once again you can only take the magazines at face value lol. You bought the CSRT4 so obviously you didnt take into all the bad press the mags gave it.

Not sure that I do lol I do wear a size 12 shoe :icon_eek: lol its not difficult for me to heel toe :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts

Second - Pedal placement

1. Like most European cars these days, the Audi probably runs a real soft pad and rotor that wears out quickly to attain good braking numbers.

2. The pedal placement could be better...My wife has trouble downshifting and matching engine speed too so don't feel bad.:stickpoke: JK

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
Ouch :twak: thats cold blooded! I see you are hanging out with Uber and Un4gtbl too much now :rofl:

Thats like comparing the Veyron the Audi the Veyron weighs over 4000lbs but can stop in 103 feet how come the Audi cant do it better?

Theres quite a bit going not just weight lol....Size of the rubber, type of rubber (treadwear rating varies from company to company), type of brakes, etc etc and once again you can only take the magazines at face value lol. You bought the CSRT4 so obviously you didnt take into all the bad press the mags gave it.

Not sure that I do lol I do wear a size 12 shoe :icon_eek: lol its not difficult for me to heel toe :beerchug:
Good points Doctor

·
Registered
265 Posts

My 1995 Yamaha GTS stops in 94 feet and it has only 2 wheels and weights 550 lbs

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
i think the engineers mentioned in one chat session too that the brakes perform better when warmed up. so it is possible that the test car was tested without the brakes being warmed up.

but like it was mentioned, the mags stats for this car were b.s to begin with. 14.6 1/4 and 6.2+ 0-60.... i did 14.0-13.9 stock and the evic showed me mid to high 5 sec 0-60's more often than not.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts