Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm expecting 17" on mine with alloys and just wondered which company tyres Dodge use can you provide me with the size and make and if they are noisy on the freeway or motoway? Anyone got the pressure stabalizers and how they work if you wanted after market Alloys and Tyres?:)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Goodyear Assurance Tripletred are about the best tires (not tyres!) you can buy for the Caliber with 17" wheels on it. Only problem with them is its hard to find anyone that has them in stock right now.

Dodge puts POS Firestone Affinity tires on them in the US that aren't rated very well at all. The size for 17" rims is 215/60/17. The R/T gets Firestone Firehawk GT3 tires which also aren't rated very well at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
Goodyear Assurance Tripletred are about the best tires (not tyres!) you can buy for the Caliber with 17" wheels on it.
Never heard of them before. Why do you like them? Benefits? Why are they good for the Cali especially?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Not many tires in the Caliber OEM 17" size. Another choice besides the Goodyear Tripletread would be the Michelin HydroEdge. I do not have experience with this particular tire but have found that Michelin tires have outperformed anything else I've ever owned.

The factory Firestone 17" tires are awful. Very noisy on the highway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think the UK gets the Continetal which BMW uses as standard so not sure if they are good or just over priced in the package!
I've always used Michelin Primacy's on my other cars as Huff stated they grip very well smaller cars F1 eagles aren't so bad either.
I'm assuming Stephen you got the Durants in this middle picture below.

Who likes the team Dynamics 18" does anyone know if this is the standard alloy if you bought the CRD SXT Sport as they have stated it gets the 18" whilst mine will be 17" on the CRD SXT.
Thanks for the specs I would guess that any 18" would get a rubber glove of about 245/40/18"??? Who thinks 18" would look cool or just mid life crisis? LOL...:rolleyes: The first picture are konig Holes @ 18" they do 17" about £1,000 sterling with decent tyres! or U$1,600ish dollars

Attachments

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Check the 235/55/17 sizes. Same diameter as the stock tires o it won't afect the peedometer, and tons more choices. Not sure why Dodge likes to pick odball sizes for it's OEM tires. Same thing with the Dakota R/T 17" tires. Only 3 options in the stock size. Most people go to a shorter tire for better choices.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Firestone's are the worst tires I've ever had as far as noise goes, especially on cement. They are even worse than the mud tires I have on my Jeep!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Bulldogger said:
Very noisy on the highway? I don't hear it. I'm positive there are better tires, but don't find the firestones on our Caliber that bad. The roads around here must not be too bad I guess. I get almost no noise in the cabin, wind or road. It's almost as nice of a ride as our Magnum ( edit: which has the stock Continentals still on it ).
Road noise is pretty high, IMO. Enough to be noticeable. In fact, a friend that drove with me recently asked "what's that noise?" (I usually have my music cranked up, so it doesn't particular bother me!)

The stock Firestones are not that grippy, particularly on wet pavement. Just try gunning it from a stop when it's raining -- they slip and spin. Then goose it around a corner in the rain, and you'll feel the rear slip out from under you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
clipperjay said:
I'm assuming Stephen you got the Durants in this middle picture below.
No, they're similar but don't have the grooves on the spokes??

The 18" wheels have a 215/55 R18 tyre if that helps :)

They tyres on my Caliber are the same as those on my old Peugeot and seem to do a good job, but I'm no expert ;)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Here are the Goodyear Assurance Tires (not Tyres!) and the ratings:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
Road noise is pretty high, IMO. Enough to be noticeable. In fact, a friend that drove with me recently asked "what's that noise?" (I usually have my music cranked up, so it doesn't particular bother me!)

The stock Firestones are not that grippy, particularly on wet pavement. Just try gunning it from a stop when it's raining -- they slip and spin. Then goose it around a corner in the rain, and you'll feel the rear slip out from under you.
The stock Firestones won't have to much grip. Look at the treadwear rating. If i remember right, it's like 500 for a treadwear rating. Great for treadlife, sucks for traction.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
Here are the Goodyear Assurance Tires (not Tyres!) and the ratings:
In almost every other country but America, it is "tyres"

·
Registered
198 Posts
HSKR said:
Check the 235/55/17 sizes. Same diameter as the stock tires o it won't afect the peedometer, .
Good call.... here is a good site that will compare different sizes and calc the diameter, and speedo error with different sizes.

Basically, there are 3 dimensions. For example, 235/55/17. The width of the tire at the contact patch is 235 mm, the height of 1 sidewall (from the ground to the rim), is the aspect ratio (55%) times the contact patch, of 55% x 235 mm. The last number is the rim, in inches! Yah, metric and imperial in the same scheme...:mad:

The easiest way to resize tires/wheels, without much speedo error is called "PLUS ONE"- 1 size wider, 1 aspect smaller, 1" taller in rim. Most tire places know PLUS ONE.

Here is that site: http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

Comparing the 235/55 17 with 215 60 17, the speedo error is less than 1%. Acceptable. I noticed on the R/T that the speedo, and odo, was off about 1% on a 200 km trip recently vs the GPS, which is very accurate.

Chart of the 2 combinations:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
LMAO!!!!! That is the exact ame site I used to figure out the size I posted. I've ben using the site for about 7 years since I had my old '99 Dakota R/T. It's the best online tire calculator I've found when trying to compare tire sizes.

·
Registered
911 Posts
HSKR said:
In almost every other country but America, it is "tyres"
Well at least we can spell! Just like its COLOR! Not colour! Bloody brits anyways! :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
HSKR said:
LMAO!!!!! That is the exact ame site I used to figure out the size I posted. I've ben using the site for about 7 years since I had my old '99 Dakota R/T. It's the best online tire calculator I've found when trying to compare tire sizes.
Try this one... http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

(Need to have Java on) :cool:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Sean said:
Try this one... http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

(Need to have Java on) :cool:
Nope, still like th one on the Dakota site. Much more information is given, and I don't need a picture to show how much different the tire is going to be. I like the other one too, because with my truck, it's nice to know how the tires affect the final gear ratio as well for when i go racing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts