Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well on the 25th i get my parts to install factory uconnect. Anyone with any extra tips or tricks in doing so please give me some insight. Also component locations can save me some time because im going in blind and aside from wiring diagrams will be learning the system as i go.
I plan to take pics and document everything as i go as well for anyone else who plans to do the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
cool I am interested to know how this goes.. that and a sunroof are the only two options I would have added to my car if I would have custom ordered it. If you don't mind me asking... what did the parts end up costing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Total it came to $441.66 shipped. But thats pending anything else i may find i need. Im also looking into getting an EVIC but will be looking for used parts for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
If you install the u-connect after, is the same as a factory option install?.........Does it go through the stereo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Thanks for the information.... I am guessing your write up will have a list of the parts also. As far as tips I did a search here on how to get my bezel off and it was very easy with a small plastic kitchen spatula.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EXcaliber said:
If you install the u-connect after, is the same as a factory option install?.........Does it go through the stereo?
i will be using all the same components as the factory install. So yeah it will communicate over the CAN BUS to the radio and EVIC (if installed). This is NOT the mopar uconnect dealer install kit. Im actually piecing togeather components using collision and mechanical repair part numbers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
TAKE PICTURES OF EVERYTHING!!!!

i plan to add uconnect ealy next year. so any pics would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was all excited today. I get home and UPS left me a nice box... but after tearing it open i realize that instead of the harness i got a lightbulb! I call right away and it turns out my harness was switched with another order :(
Looks like ill have it friday at the earliest but more than likely monday. Im rediculously impatient so im really irritated right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im buisy organizing all the info i have on installing uconnect but im missing one vital bit of info that can save me a TON of time. Where on earth is the telematics modual actually installed from factory? Anyone have any diagrams so i dont have to pretty much gut my dash looking for a good location?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
Fingernipp said:
Was all excited today. I get home and UPS left me a nice box... but after tearing it open i realize that instead of the harness i got a lightbulb! I call right away and it turns out my harness was switched with another order :(
Looks like ill have it friday at the earliest but more than likely monday. Im rediculously impatient so im really irritated right now.
But at least you got a new light bulb for free out of the deal. hehe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Fingernipp, it took a little work to find the control module for UConnect in the service manual. That's because they don't call it a UConnect module. They call it "Hands Free". I've attached the page dealing with the location of the Hands Free module. Hopefully, this is what you are looking for. Hopefully, "Hands Free" means "UConnect".
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THANK YOU!!! thats exactly it .. but i have no clue what they show it mounted on.. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Behind and below the radio is a funky looking metal braket it attaches to. I used zip ties because it was easier than tracking down the correct hardware. Makes for a really short run to the radio. Hope this helps and good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rcompart said:
Behind and below the radio is a funky looking metal braket it attaches to. I used zip ties because it was easier than tracking down the correct hardware. Makes for a really short run to the radio. Hope this helps and good luck.
LOL yeah i was thinking ill use zip ties too after seeing the image. Im not trying to get my arm in there with a screwdriver. Ill just put something between it and the bracket to keep it from rattling if it loosens up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
caprirs302 said:
Is the wire harness that connects the Uconnect box to the auto dimming mirror already in our caliber a-frame?
yep sure is. Ill have all that in a single write up caliber specific too once i get the install done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Fingernipp said:
yep sure is. Ill have all that in a single write up caliber specific too once i get the install done.
can't wait to see it!

also, i looked at my a-pillar on the driver's side and saw a harness, but it was plugged into something already.... oh well, i'll wait for the writeup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ashram said:
can't wait to see it!

also, i looked at my a-pillar on the driver's side and saw a harness, but it was plugged into something already.... oh well, i'll wait for the writeup.
Yeah it will be plugged into a harness for your dome lights and if you have a auto dimming mirror. What you do is count the wires on teh dash end and see if they outnumber the wires on the roof harness side... and by how many.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Fingernipp said:
Yeah it will be plugged into a harness for your dome lights and if you have a auto dimming mirror. What you do is count the wires on teh dash end and see if they outnumber the wires on the roof harness side... and by how many.
they don't outnumber them (i least, i don't think they did)...
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Top