Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if you can get UConnect added after the fact? I have the 6 disc player with tape deck. I am looking to add Sirrius and I found out that I could for about $300 (inclused installation and the first year of service) but at the time, I didn't think to ask about getting UConnect. I travel ALOT and it would be great to have that hands free option for my cell.

Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TommyLee said:
You can add the Mopar uConnect, but it sucks compared to the factory installed version.
What do you mean by "it sucks"? Does it loose connection, sound bad or what?

·
Registered
447 Posts
The factory install uses a microphone mounted inside the rear view mirror. The aftermarket install uses a microphone that is mounted somewhere else by the dealer. There's no guarantee of voice quality as they're not exactly sound techs.

By all means try it out though. It's a great system. I use it practically every time I'm in my car.

·
Banned
400 Posts
ghoticov said:
What do you mean by "it sucks"? Does it loose connection, sound bad or what?
If I were you, I wouldn't listen to anyone who hasn't experienced "uConnect" to date. I'm having it installed in my SXT Cali as I type this. Will let everyone know how I like it. If I don't, I WILL order the factory version, and have the Mopar ripped out. Simple..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
STEELBLueCALI said:
If I were you, I wouldn't listen to anyone who hasn't experienced "uConnect" to date. I'm having it installed in my SXT Cali as I type this. Will let everyone know how I like it. If I don't, I WILL order the factory version, and have the Mopar ripped out. Simple..:rolleyes:
If you don't mind me asking, how much are they charging you for it and to install it?

·
Registered
173 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
I have experience using uConnect, both Factory and Mopar. This is how I formed my opinion. I have had uConnect in 5 or 6 of my cars over the past few years, and the quality of the factory unit far surpasses that of the dealer-installed unit.

The Mopar dealer-installed unit uses a seperate speaker mounted under the dash, whereas the factory unit uses your stereo speakers. The factory installed unit also has all your controls, as well as the microphone, integrated into the rearview mirror, thus it looks much cleaner than the Mopar installed unit that has the controls stuck to the dash with double sided tape.

·
Banned
400 Posts
TommyLee said:
I have experience using uConnect, both Factory and Mopar. This is how I formed my opinion. I have had uConnect in 5 or 6 of my cars over the past few years, and the quality of the factory unit far surpasses that of the dealer-installed unit.

The Mopar dealer-installed unit uses a seperate speaker mounted under the dash, whereas the factory unit uses your stereo speakers. The factory installed unit also has all your controls, as well as the microphone, integrated into the rearview mirror, thus it looks much cleaner than the Mopar installed unit that has the controls stuck to the dash with double sided tape.
I totally understand, but if it "just works" the way it was meant to be, then I don't have a problem with it. I had mine installed today, and had them set it up so that sound comes from my front speakers. As for all the controls and everything, the Mopar uConnect unit has it's own controls as well. Although they're not "integrated", they're still functional. Like I said, if I don't like it... I'll order the "Johnson Controls". No biggie.

·
Banned
400 Posts
ghoticov said:
If you don't mind me asking, how much are they charging you for it and to install it?
My uConnect was free, the dealer had made a mistake in my financing. So they asked me what would make me happy... I said, "uConnect". So they gave me a unit, and even had it all installed by a professional audio/video store.:D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
STEELBLueCALI said:
I totally understand, but if it "just works" the way it was meant to be, then I don't have a problem with it. I had mine installed today, and had them set it up so that sound comes from my front speakers. As for all the controls and everything, the Mopar uConnect unit has it's own controls as well. Although they're not "integrated", they're still functional. Like I said, if I don't like it... I'll order the "Johnson Controls". No biggie.
I really want something that is integrated into my stereo, I don't really want anything showing if possible.

With the Mopar Uconnect, is there an external unit of some sort that is visible and is the factory version hidden?

Also, what does "Johnson Controls" mean? Can you order something from from the factory that was not installed at the factory?

·
Banned
400 Posts
ghoticov said:
I really want something that is integrated into my stereo, I don't really want anything showing if possible.

With the Mopar Uconnect, is there an external unit of some sort that is visible and is the factory version hidden?

Also, what does "Johnson Controls" mean? Can you order something from from the factory that was not installed at the factory?
Johnson Controls is the company that makes the factory unit. Yes, Mopar does have an external unit, but it is small. My install was done so clean and good, that it looks factory. No wires are showing in mine! If you get the factory version, you're looking to spend a lot of bucks for it! But if you have the dough, go for it. Like I said, I got mine FREE... so I'm not complaining.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts