Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I am very keen to buy a Caliber and am going for a test drive at the weekend.

I'm thinking of getting a diesel SXT.

Those of you who have bought cars - were you able to negotiate a discount on list price from the dealers?

Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

I didn't get a discount as such as I got an excellent value trade-in for my current car as it's knackered and in need of loads of work, plus they're fitting my extras free!!

Enjoy your test drive and let us know what you think.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My test drive is on this Friday 4th Aug.

If I like it I'll order it then and there. I might go for the SXT Sport too with the 2.0 litre TDi.

I want to try to get a few freebies thrown in if I can such as chrome fuel filler cap, door entry guards, stainless steel pedal covers would be cool, an ashtray and lighter ( fits in the illuminated cup holder ) mud flaps and maybe side window deflectors.

We'll see how it goes, I hope its good vibes for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had my test drive last week and liked the car.

I tried both a basic petrol model and a diesel SXT.

I think I prefer the diesel although my legs were cramped up against the dash in the diesel model.

I imagine that is to do with the seat height etc. rather than model.

I was disappointed with a couple of things:-

- no sunroof option in the UK.

- don't like the leather colour in the SXT - looks cheap.

- parking sensors not included in SXT specification (should be standard).

- ipod connection an extra option (should be standard)

- expensive sat nav option

- centre consol not padded. It feels cheap and flimsy.

Despite that list I still think I will get one. I am going on holiday and said I will speak to them when I come back.

The showroom was very busy with people trying the car when I was there so I don't think they are going to want to discount much. The finance option is not very attractive but I will at least try for getting some options thrown in or look out for a demo model.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well I am six foot 3 and a half and I had no problems with driving space..did you adjust the seat first or did you just jump in and drive? so many people on test drives never adjust the seat so the dealer told me.

The only options I got thrown in was a set of over carpets priced at £75.00 and a smokers kit comprising *** lighter and ashtray worth £25.00..so £100 of freebies....not a lot realy but as you mentioned and as I forgot to say the place was bristling with people looking over the demo-test drive car.

And the old saying " we are selling them like hotcakes ! " was a sentence heavily utilised with delight by the sales exec..."no worries on the sales front here Sir !" and that meant no discount for me ! :(

I think discount on new cars only happens when the dealers cant sell them at the rate they would like.

The centre consol armrest is the worst I have ever seen in a car its just so unbelievably cheap and shoddy it looks and feels absolute crap just what the hell were thinking when they did that...it wasnt enough to stop me from buying the car though because I intend on getting it covered with a home made padded cover or replacing it entirely with one off another car and modding it on or something.

There is a lot of accessories available for the car and I will be adding things myself after. As said earlier the buggers wouldnt give me sod all I had to break the guys arm to get the over carpets and smoke kit.

So I'm told, many other dealerships like VW, Vauxhall, Ford etc always thrown in a grands worth of freebies, dont know how true this is....either way I'm hooked on the Caliber and roll on delivery date !

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your test drive Greenhunt :)

Here's my thoughts:

The seats are very adjustable both back and forward and up and down, plus the steering wheel is adjustable too so you shouldn't find getting a comfortable driving position difficult (I'm just over 6FT with no problems at all)

The centre console has picked up a lot of stick for being plastic with good reason, I had padded arm rests on my 307 which were much more comfortable but it's a minor niggle to me.

The iPod connector isn't even available yet and I've been told it could be a couple more months away, it's not cheap, but I'll be getting it :D

Let us know how you get on, have a great holiday :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dunno if this will help or if these people are good to deal with, but I found some new car deals on www.honestjohn.co.uk as follows:

www.drivethedeal.com offers to 30th September 2006:
New Dodge Caliber 1.8 S 5dr £11161 save £339
New Dodge Caliber 1.8 SE 5dr £11641 save £354
New Dodge Caliber 2.0 SXT 5dr CVT Auto £ 13348 save £407
New Dodge Caliber Diesel 2.0 CRD 6-speed S 5dr £13115 save £399
New Dodge Caliber Diesel 2.0 CRD 6-speed SE 5dr £13595 save £415

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all

With the knowledge of "Drivethedeal" prices (printed off the web site and took them with me) I have just ordered a new black SXT CRD with MusicGate and a full set of luxury carpets for a whopping £1236 off list price from my local Dodge dealer. Delivery in March so 07 reg. We are very pleased with the car and the price. The dealer was great and even let us have a car for a couple of hours on our own after the normal test drive.

I guess it's all down to hard negotiation and standing your ground.

Cheers.:D :D :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got mine!:) Inferno Red 2.0CRD SXT Sport and its sweet as!

I got £1,000 off the list price from my local dealer by showing them figures from the jamjar and buyacar websites plus upped the trade-in by £500 by using figures from Parkers!

I bought loads of extras (parking sensors, ipod lead, detachable towbar, sill plates, rear mud guards, Supaguard, both sets of mats including the boot ones) and paid for the fitting which wasnt unreasonable.

I already have TomTom Sat Nav which is fantastic and way cheaper and I'd recommend going that way. The only thing is I use a cigarette lighter multipoint thingy so I can charge my phone and the Sat Nav at the same time!

I was waiting for the SRT4 but couldnt trust my 6 year old Neon for another 6 months to a year so I bought this one.

I can always chop it in for the AWD SRT4 or R/T should they ever make it over here! :cool:

·
Registered
432 Posts
UKCaliber said:
Dunno if this will help or if these people are good to deal with, but I found some new car deals on www.honestjohn.co.uk as follows:

www.drivethedeal.com offers to 30th September 2006:
New Dodge Caliber 1.8 S 5dr £11161 save £339
New Dodge Caliber 1.8 SE 5dr £11641 save £354
New Dodge Caliber 2.0 SXT 5dr CVT Auto £ 13348 save £407
New Dodge Caliber Diesel 2.0 CRD 6-speed S 5dr £13115 save £399
New Dodge Caliber Diesel 2.0 CRD 6-speed SE 5dr £13595 save £415
As you will see below I have a SXT purchased in Canada. I was amazed at the price difference since if I take your £11,161 pound sterling and convert it to $CDN it becomes $25,910 while the price I paid was $18,895 CDN or £8,140 pound sterling.

Hard to beleive that it costs $6,000 CDN to ship the caliber to the UK.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got the Black 2.0l TDi . Test drove the sport but hated the style of the seats. At the time the only discounts a got were a smokers kit. rubbish a dont smoke! paid it all up front and got about £500 off. Had the car bout 6 months and still love it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts