Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every one, new here. I haven't bought a caliber yet, still undecided. I was wondering from you current owners. If you were to buy a different car right now. What would it be ? I have a 2005 Toyota Matrix Xr. I like the car, but the Caliber has me very interested, I know that there's no real advantage
to switching, other than the fact that I really like the Caliber. I haven't driven one yet. I want a 5 spd. SXT black with the sport pkg. supply is very low here in Pa. Just was wondering if after owning one now if any of you wished you bought something else.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just turned 3k miles on mine this weekend. If I had to do it again, I would still buy a caliber.

I still completely love the car and love the attention it gets. The only thing I may have done different if I had it to do over again, would be to order instead of buying what they had on the lot. The one I got was fully loaded, and theres quite a few of the options that I would leave off if I had ordered it.

I was in a different situation than you though, my car had over 100k miles, was several years old and was starting to nickle and dime me every time I turned around, so I pretty much needed to get something within the next few months anyway.

If theres no real problems with your cuurent car, why not hold off until they are more easily available and by then you may even be able to rent one for a day or weekend and see how you like it for more than just a short test drive. The rental companies will probably have quite a few of them soon.

·
Registered
87 Posts
draed said:
I just turned 3k miles on mine this weekend. If I had to do it again, I would still buy a caliber.

I still completely love the car and love the attention it gets. The only thing I may have done different if I had it to do over again, would be to order instead of buying what they had on the lot. The one I got was fully loaded, and theres quite a few of the options that I would leave off if I had ordered it.

I was in a different situation than you though, my car had over 100k miles, was several years old and was starting to nickle and dime me every time I turned around, so I pretty much needed to get something within the next few months anyway.

If theres no real problems with your cuurent car, why not hold off until they are more easily available and by then you may even be able to rent one for a day or weekend and see how you like it for more than just a short test drive. The rental companies will probably have quite a few of them soon.
What options would you leave off?

·
Registered
63 Posts
No regrets. I love my Caliber. I would probably have liked a couple of more options, like the Security Group for sure, maybe the Driver's Convenience. But I what I have satisfies totally. I'll probably add the alarm and get the Torneau(?) cover at some point. My next one would have those and sunroof and sirius radio. But I was trying to keep payments down anyway, trying to buy a house next year.

·
Registered
62 Posts
zildjian_drummer3 said:
What options would you leave off?
-The plasti-chrome wheels, that $700 would have been better put towards after market wheels I think.
-The drivers convenience group. I don't find the temperature gauge or compass that useful, I can't think of when I've ever found a compass useful when I've been driving and the same for the temp gauge. I don't have a garage door to be opened. The mileage to go/current mileage indicator is only a snapshot of the way you are driving right now, its not an over time calculation that other vehicles have. And it just doesn't seem all that accurate, I've tried keeping track of it to have an idea of the mileage I was getting for a tank, and then its way off from calculating with the receipt/odometer. So I've found I have a much better idea of my mileage if I ignore it and watch the tach. The dimming rear view mirror is a neat idea and the tire pressure gauge is useful, however I don't find those two things to be worth the $540 to get all the other crap that comes with it. One of the few options I don't have is the UConnect. If I used a cellphone very often then I think that would make the UConnect a must have, and that requires the driver convenience group, so that would be the only way I would order it.
-6Disc changer, I've got Sirius and I had sirius before I even bought the caliber. Since I first got Sirius last summer, I'm finding I never listen to any of the CD's I have other than when I am sitting in my cubicle at work. About the only time I listen to a cd in the car is on the way home from buying a new one at the store. I guess you need one of the upgraded units to be able to have the PDT scroll from sirius, however I'm not real pleased with the way thats implemented on the 6 disc compared to other Sirius units I have. You have to hit the info button to change it to scroll every time you start the vehicle, and then it doesn't really scroll so it's a pain to read all of the information anyway. I would have rather had the Aux Input I think.
- I like the sun roof, I seem to have it open any time it's less than 85 and not raining, but not sure I would order one.
- Leather I'm mixed on. I'm not a fan of leather seats to begin with (actually I've hated leather in every other vehicle I've been in that had it), but these are much more comfortable than any other leather seats I've sat in. However, the leather seems to be much thinner than other leather seats I've seen, probably why its more comfortable :p. It will be interesting to see how durable the thinner more comfortable leather is compared to other leather interiors. I do wish I had the matching console though. The painted consoles look much nicer than the plain jane brushed aluminum that I have. I guess the heated seats are also a part of the leather group, not sure I will ever use them.

The only things I think I would definitely order on an RT would be MusicGate, Sirius, and the Security group. Leather and Sunroof are possible, but definite no on everything else.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would definitely still buy the Caliber. It is so different from whats out there and I just haven't really loved a car this much before. I mean, I've loved my own cars, but I haven't gotten as excited over new cars before.

The only thing I would change is get more options but I'm lucky enough that I can afford what I got withonly being one year out of college.

·
Registered
87 Posts
dread said:
The only things I think I would definitely order on an RT would be MusicGate, Sirius, and the Security group. Leather and Sunroof are possible, but definite no on everything else.
thanks alot- i'll definetly take that into consideration when buying my caliber. The only thing is i have to wait until next spring for the SRT4 to come out :( but oh well. oh, i didn't know the Caliber had optional leather seats. thats a plus in my book.

Aaron

·
Registered
311 Posts
jayleav said:
Hello every one, new here. I haven't bought a caliber yet, still undecided. I was wondering from you current owners. If you were to buy a different car right now. What would it be ? I have a 2005 Toyota Matrix Xr. I like the car, but the Caliber has me very interested, I know that there's no real advantage
to switching, other than the fact that I really like the Caliber. I haven't driven one yet. I want a 5 spd. SXT black with the sport pkg. supply is very low here in Pa. Just was wondering if after owning one now if any of you wished you bought something else.
I am a prior owner of a 2005 Pontiac Vibe (look-a-like-Matrix). I definitely enjoyed that vehicle but it didn't survive a front-end collision. :mad: Anyway, I had been hearing about the Caliber and once the paper-work on the Vibe was clear, I went to my Dodge dealership a couple times in search of a Caliber. Long story made short...I finally bought an R/T. Loving that vehicle even more that I enjoyed the Vibe. The reality of it is that had the Vibe not suffered an untimely demise, I'd still be in it with no regrets. Luck of a sort hit me and I am now the proud and adored owner of the Caliber!!! :D

...the adored part was probably rubbing it in a bit too much, but I do take notice that I get a lot of second glances.

If you're still financing the Matrix, you'll probably be upside down in the trade-in. Probably best to wait a bit before deciding to jump tracks. Also, if you wait, you might be able to get in on the SRT version. I am to understand that's a vehicle to RAVE over.

Tyke

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
jayleav said:
Just was wondering if after owning one now if any of you wished you bought something else.
If I were to buy anything else it would be the front-wheel-drive R/T Caliber when it comes out.

If I had more money I would be buying either the Chrysler 300 SRT, the Charger SRT, or the Challenger when it comes out. I also like the Pacifica.

·
Registered
155 Posts
"The reality of it is that had the Vibe not suffered an untimely demise, I'd still be in it with no regrets. Luck of a sort hit me and I am now the proud and adored owner of the Caliber!!! :D "

Just wondering if you miss the lost cargo area, I think the Cali is 48cu ft vs the Vibes 54......??Personally I like the way the Vibe seats fold flat, as well as plastic backs.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts