Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I picked up my R/T yesterday (by the way... it's the best purchase I've ever made besides my iPod) and I have a quick question regarding the engine.

I am taking a 300 mile trip this weekend from Maryland to North Carolina and wanted to know how hard I should push my car.

I've heard from multiple people that for the first 600-2000 miles I should keep my speed under 50-60mph. Number one, that's going to be hard for me because I am a speedracer, but I also want to prolong the life of the Caliber, so I'll do whatever it takes.

Should I keep my speed under a certain mph while on my trip? Will this affect the engine of the car over the lifetime of the car if I do 70-80 on the trip?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just drive the damn thing. IMO, keeping it under 60mph is more a waste of your time than anything. I have a brand new re-built high performance motor in my truck. Definitly not keeping it under 60mph during the break in, but not reving it high as shyt either. For the Caliber though, just drive it like you will everyday.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
HSKR said:
Just drive the damn thing. IMO, keeping it under 60mph is more a waste of your time than anything. I have a brand new re-built high performance motor in my truck. Definitly not keeping it under 60mph during the break in, but not reving it high as shyt either. For the Caliber though, just drive it like you will everyday.
I agree 100% with 100% of the statement!:):cool:

Drive away!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm guessing you have the CVT. My SXT with CVT runs almost a steady 2100 rpm no matter what speed I'm at. That is of course after initial accelleration and reaching the desired speed. 40 mph - 2100 rpm, 70 mph - 2100 rpm. The CVT and computer apparently set the optimum rpm. Uphill or into a headwind does increase rpms to compensate for the added load. I cruise 70 - 75 most of the time on the freeways. Have to, otherwise I'll get run over. Posted 65 MPH reads 75 in the minds of most California drivers. 70 MPH = at least 85!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Heh, we just broke 100 miles on ours tonight and it saw 80mph on the way home from the dealer ;) Constant speeds are the killer on new engines.......just vary the speeds and RPMs as much as you can and you should be alright :)

Chanda

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of your advice leaves me no choice...

It's time to cruise!

Thanks!:)

·
Registered
340 Posts
My wife just drove hers just like any other car from day one. No problem at 15000 miles.

Just like she has done with all of her new cars. (and millions of other people!)

·
Registered
432 Posts
With my manual transmission I tend to keep the revs below 3000 in any gear for the first 5000 km.

Not sure if it helps but I've owned a few cars in my time 10 of which were Chrysler products and never experienced an engine problem in all that time.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have had a new car every 3 yrs since 1967,in 1984 I switched to Chrysler
and have never had a major problem with any of them.
I have always driven each new car in exactly the same style during
so called "break in period" as I would in daily driving and would put
on approx 40,000 km per year.
The Caliber has been no exception and in the first 5000 km I have driven
it up to 100 mph and the rpms have been as high as 6000.
The car is quiet,responsive and has met or exceeded EPA estimates
consistently.
Having said that I would offer that you should drive it when new as
you normally do because of the adaptive learning built in to todays
cars,baby it and change later may not be the best way to go about it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Chanda said:
Heh, we just broke 100 miles on ours tonight and it saw 80mph on the way home from the dealer ;) Constant speeds are the killer on new engines.......just vary the speeds and RPMs as much as you can and you should be alright :)

Chanda
EXACTLY. The manual says during "break-in", drive the car at varied rates & don't stay at a constant RPM for a long period. It even says to run it up hard a few times (~redline) during break-in. It's in the manual, but not sure what page.

Bottom line, don't set the cruise control & drive 100 miles constsant for the first 1000(?) miles (not sure what distance the manual says). Other than that, drive it as you normally would.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts