Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i got in my car about a week ago and started to drive to work as normal. As i was going down the road with my Palm T|X plugged into my head unit jamin to tunes the bassanger speaker cut out for a second. So i wiggled my cable (its a cheap one from an old set of pc speakers) it crackled so i left it be and figured it was the palm skipping or something. Well my palm is out for repait, and so im on cd now. Its its happening more. ON ANY DISC! i really dont want to deal with the dealership on this one. Any ideas. Ive tried to take the dash apart to replace the head. But i cant seem to get the bezel around the stereo and HVAC off with out seeming to break it? HELP!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
mriccucci said:
Ok i got in my car about a week ago ... I've tried to take the dash apart to replace the head. But I can't seem to get the bezel around the stereo and HVAC off with out seeming to break it? HELP!!!
I can't imagine what would be the problem. I highly recommend a visit back to the dealership. In case you're wanting to get that bezel off in the future, here's the guide for it. Wish I could get my hands on a C-4755!!

Tyke

·
Registered
268 Posts
it's pretty hard to get the bezel off, but i pulled really hard and it didn't feel like it would break too easily when I put the stereo in

i say take it in for warranty work

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you go to a windsheild repair center they have a plastic stick they use when they are putting the urathane onto the glass it's about 6-8 inches long a is great for taking off trim pannels and it won't scratch the plastic

·
Registered
311 Posts
waynet said:
If you go to a windsheild repair center they have a plastic stick they use when they are putting the urathane onto the glass it's about 6-8 inches long a is great for taking off trim pannels and it won't scratch the plastic
So, is it like a putty knife...but stiffer and more narrow?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info, it looks like ill be heading to the dealer anyways i have avour 2-3 scratches in the hood and a long white mark on the side of my fender due to being behind a rock/sand truck dumping in front of me:mad:, anyways hopefully i can get them buffed out and get the stero fixed this weekend.

·
Registered
86 Posts
MrTyke - where did you get the info/pictures for removing the bezel? I've been looking for a service manual for the Caliber, so far no luck. There is a web site where we can download the Chrysler 300/Magnum manual free. Really would be a great help to have one for the Caliber.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Badpenny said:
MrTyke - where did you get the info/pictures for removing the bezel? I've been looking for a service manual for the Caliber, so far no luck. There is a web site where we can download the Chrysler 300/Magnum manual free. Really would be a great help to have one for the Caliber.
I got the service manual (PDF on a CD) from eBay which has that picture and several other pictures. I thought it was going to be more than it was, but it is serving its purpose.

Tyke

·
Registered
269 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...34218QQitemZ8073949068QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I think him sharing it would be illegal..... but it's not really that bad of a price. Most FSMs are over $100 from must auto makers if you order it on paper. The CDRom FSM for the Mazda3 was about $70 when the car first came out.

** edit ** wow, the guy selling these FSMs has sold over 1,000 items with 100% positive feedback. That's insane. **

·
Registered
689 Posts
Funny you should say that about the illegal part. LOL

I think a lot of the Ebay ones are copies of ones people bought. LOL

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've ordered lots of stuff off eBay... (including a CDRom FSM for my Mazda3)... seemed legit enough to me. At least it wasn't a lame CDR with no jacket and no shrinkwrap.

Although, it's funny how eBay doesn't care if you do report that a seller is pushing pirated or illegally licensed products.

·
Registered
8 Posts
MrTyke said:
So, is it like a putty knife...but stiffer and more narrow?
Actually you can use those 99 cent plastic putty knives to help with the bezel removal. I had the base REF radio and swapped it out for a RAQ radio that I bought on E-bay. It took about two hours to do, and the bezel removal is what takes the most time, about an hour for me.

There's a post over on dodgeforum.com that was useful for me, titled "Installing factory navigation radio and Uconnect in my Caliber SXT". Can't get the link to post here, system won't let me.

You have to take the shifter bezel off first (pretty easy) and then work your way up the center bezel (much tougher). The putty knife was almost destroyed by the time I was done (they are cheap enough I should have bought two), it's a little too flimsy. I ended up having to use a butter knife, wrapped in electrical tape to protect the plastic, at one place. Ended up with a small scratch on the bezel and a little scuff on the surrounding plastic, but not too bad. Apparently you can actually buy the recommeded C-4755 trim tool (do a web search on it) for about $3, I should have had the patience to do that.

Will be selling my REF radio by the way in case anyone is interested. Only 4 weeks old, and it has the AUX input for I-pod's and such, which I didn't use but some people love.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts