Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the talk on other threads about Mazdas,Toyotas and other cars compared to the Caliber the main selling point, to me at least, is the fact that it's Union Made by UAW workers. I know there is backlash against the Unions for giving in to Big 3 in the U S in accepting conncesions to reduce health care costs and reducing salarys for new employees but the alternative is more non union plants in Mexico or even China. The only Union made Mazdas are the pickup/SUV made on the line with the Ranger/Escape and some of the M6s. Most of the Matrixs are made in a non union plant in Ontario, Canada. The California plant is unionized and makes the Vibe and Matrixs. The PT and some Ram trucks are made in Mexico. I know the CVT and some glass and trim is from Mexico but installed in the Caliber. Even the "world" engine is made in the States. Click this site to see what is Union Made, there are some you wouldn't think would be there.http://www.uaw.org/uawmade/index.cfm

·
Registered
361 Posts
In the case of the Toyota plant up here, there have been many attempts by the union to get in, but workers seem to shoot it down in votes everytime. They also don't seem to have many hang ups about speaking on the issue with papers either. I guess they're treated well as employees.

Can't say I really know much about the issue though. Just what I've read in the Toronto Star and Globe & Mail.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Unions aren't always the great thing people make them to be. Concessions from both sides are needed so I don't think the union 'gave in'. A company that treats their employees well has no need for a union and employees want no part of it. Looks like Chrysler/Dodge is the only one of the Big 3 thats making money these days. Vastly different from how it was in the 70's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Amandyke said:
It's union made? No wonder we have all these little problems with it.
haha BUMP!

Everyone thinks unions are so great...All unions do is make it impossible to fire the dimwitted and lazy. Oh not to mention dip into your paycheck to further a political agenda;)

·
Banned
73 Posts
unions are not helping the US auto industry out. I would much rather buy a Accord made in Indiana than a ford made in Detroit. I knoiw Ford will take their profit and try to build a plant in Mexico to get away from the union where toyota or honda will take the $$ and build a plant here.

I used ot be a big pro-union , pro- USA made guy but after driving and working on both domestic and imports, I have to say that Japanese cars are usually engineered smarter and made better. Even japanese cars made in USA. I think it comes down to engineering and quality standards. detroit just isnt up to par.

·
Registered
147 Posts
never been part of a union, but I still think they suck nowdays. Unions were needed in the days of coal mines & hard labor, long work days, child labor, etc. to get worker's rights. Unions nowdays only really cause the 2 sides to disagree & then you have to strike whether you, personally, want to or not. It's gone past helping workers to what appears to be greed & politics.

J

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
NOT!

Unions have lived out their usefulness. They have become worse than the companies they sought to protect the workers from!!! They are a modern day mob.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
UTB said:
Made in the U.S.A. or not, cars are going to have problems. Take for instance the recent HONDA recalls in JAPAN --(not sure what type of union involvement they have in JAPAN) . 124,000 vehicles in Japan due to a problem with brake lights. Engineered better? Maybe, who knows for sure. Made better? You make the call. - http://www.autoblog.com/2006/06/30/honda-recalls-lots-ocars-in-japan-nissan-recalls-6-500/
Brakes not lighting when brakes applied? :eek: A defective fuel line? :eek:

Gimme a drippy rear washer or an elusive rattle ANY day over those issues!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts