Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am getting my caliber soon and I am a volunteer firefigher and am going to be installing strobes and lights in it. Has anyone else done this yet? Or has anyone seen any police cars with lights on it? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I haven't seen any police car Caliber versions yet.

I had hideaway strobes and a siren box in my previous primary vehicle - a Dodge conversion van - for emergency response, and imagined what it may be like to install anything similar in a Caliber.

Is there something specific in particular you have in mind so far?

Without knowing that yet, I'd speculate on the following:

The strobes themselves may not be too much of a problem; a lot depends on how you plan to install them. Something that mounts in an exposed manner through a window - like the dash or rear window - or a sunshade mount, etc may not be too hard because of the variety of emergency lighting available now. Hideaways in the headlight or turn signal/backup light housing reflector assemblies may not be too hard to install either.

Exterior-mount lighting would likely be difficult.

If you are permitted use of a siren, where to mount the speaker anywhere behind the grill or other frontal area with projection may be a concern, unless you can adapt special bracketing.

I'd guess that the biggest overall challenge, other than any interior mounted window-displayed lights, would be wiring and where to place any "control heads".

For the wiring part, you'd have to determine what routes may be available and feasible.

For control heads, such as a switch control box and/or siren box, you would most likely have to treat it similar to mounting custom stereo gear controls or fixed communications gear. There are some excellent threads here about mounting stereo gear, and fellow member DonSmith - a Ham radio operator - has an excellent thread on mounting his amateur radio gear:

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1915

You could go with the window-display type emergency lighting devices that have their own integrated power supplies (like the DeckBlaster, DashMiser, Dash-King, etc) - or a hideaway system of strobes in the headlights/turn signals/backup lights/etc and a headlight wig-wag flasher system.

Personally, if it was me, I'd do both for maximum effectiveness; but you may wish to also consider something that additionally provides a 360 degree coverage for intersection, etc approach.

An advantage of the integrated power-supply interior lighting is that you could feed all devices into a multi-socket "cigarette lighter-style" power receptacle, and in turn simply push the single plug into the Caliber's power outlet when you wish to activate your lighting. Or, you could install one multi-function SW300-style switch box in one of the caliber's dash slots to control everything you have individually or in various combination.

A lot, of course, may depend on your particular regulatory laws and department/agency rules.

Good luck; sounds like an interesting project.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
rhino1234 said:
Hello all,
I am getting my caliber soon and I am a volunteer firefigher and am going to be installing strobes and lights in it. Has anyone else done this yet? Or has anyone seen any police cars with lights on it? Thanks!
Where are you located? Here in Ontario the Volunteer Firefighters are restricted to only a green light at the front. Most just have green flashing or strobe on the dash. When I did high speed motorcades with the Foreign Affairs department the RCMP wouldn't allow red on the front so my boss had 4 of his black Suburbans fitted with strobes, the amber markers and the white fogs on the front with red and the white back-ups on the rear with a amber or white strobe on the dash. All controlled by a single switch on the dash. It seems that the white strobe is more effective than the coloured ones. Post some pictures when you get the Caliber lit up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a siren installed just behind the front facia. I don't have a decible meter but judging from the sound when running on calls I don't think it is loud enough. I would like to find a better place for it. I have my switches mounted in place of the little cubby hole under the radio. I have headlight strobes from my Ram but have not put them in the Caliber yet because I was told they probably would get too hot in the plastic headlight housings. I am curious myself about installing them. I will try to post some pics tonight of my car and equipment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thank you all for writing back! I am in Florida. You are really only allowed to have white in the front and red/white in the back becuase that is the same color as your brake lights. I was thinking about doing the wig wag system for the headlights. If you have pictures that would be awesome! Thanks

·
Registered
414 Posts
I cannot imagine the liability you will be facing in doing this. In our area, volunteers for both the Ambulance and Fire services are not allowed to have anything installed in their personal vehicles. They are also not allowed to break any speed limits when responding to the fire hall or ambulance sheds.

I would read this and then talk to local law enforcement and the fire chief before doing anything.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...&Title=->2005->Ch0316->Section 2398#0316.2398

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes thank you for looking out. I am not allowed to run calls "code 3" with a siren. But code 2 lights only. Nor am I allowed to go through red lights. Just like any other state I think, its more of a curtsey light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As posted above make sure that you are aware of and follow your local laws plus have the proper permits.

I have a Whelen SpecTIR LED courtesy blue light mounted behind the rearview mirror with the permit in the glove box . I tied into the 12VDC running to the dome light/sunroof and included a switch by the sunroof controls. The light draws under 1/3 of an amp when running. We can't disobey any traffic laws but the public "may" pull to the side and allow us to pass - they're not required too. So some days it helps and other days I don't even use it due to the traffic.

Lee

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys.

I own a Lighting and sirens company in Ottawa, Ontario. I have several differnet kinds of lights installed in my Caliber SXT. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me.

[email protected]

Chris Panagapko
STEALTH Public Safety Systems

·
Registered
577 Posts
Here in Austin, I saw a Caliber that belonged to either the police dept or a security company. It had a mini LED bar on the roof, and markings on the side. I reached for my camera as fast as I could, but I didn't get the shot. I immedietly thought of posting to this forum right there in my work van, but then got called on an outage and forgot about it till I saw this. I WILL find out what agency has that car. Then I will et y'all know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts