Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
KimBo k. said:
someone know how to go faster than 115mph?!

does it work with a chip?
Tried this yet?



But don't ask me, how to get your Caliber on that roof :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
KimBo k. said:
you really wanna try this with a callie!?

:eek:
Nope! I myself have ordered the CRD and as soon as it arrives, one of these little tricky gizmos called "powerbox" (what a name :eek: ) is going to boost the 'ol diesel up to approx 165hp and some 270 lbf ft of torque. That'll do it for me I guess :D

Maybe you should go and trade your CVT cruiser in for a CRD powered little gorilla? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
There are reasons more than a DCX engineer sitting around and going, "Haha, let's see how disappointed they will get when they run into the governor at 115 MPH!"

* Tires - Read that number and letter combo next to the tire size sometime. That is the load index and speed rating and they are to be read and understood together, not seperately. I've used this analogy before, a 75H tire would take a Lotus Elise safely to 130 MPH, but a 75H tire on our cars and you would be lucky to hit 100 MPH before tire failure.

* Glass and other items held on by simple silicone/urethane - The Porsche in the picture below blew their tire at 150 MPH (Nothing fancy by today's standards), but when it went sideways at 150 MPH, the crosswinds on the car sheared it's windshield clean off. Also this Porsche was going in a straight-line at 150 MPH when this occurred.



* Suspension, brakes, ABS, traction control, and steering - Everyone of these go hand and hand together. This alone is the main reason for speed governors. GM has an entire facility dedicated to the testing of these systems and what kind of speeds it can take that won't cause failure or pre-mature wear. Personally I wouldn't want to be on a track at 120 to 130 MPH with drum rear brakes (ie Caliber), been there, done that and scared shitless then. Nothing quite like blowing out a wheel cylinder boot at those speeds, losing your brake fluid and not being able to stop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
CoolCallie said:
There are reasons more than a DCX engineer sitting around and going, "Haha, let's see how disappointed they will get when they run into the governor at 115 MPH!"

* Tires - Read that number and letter combo next to the tire size sometime. That is the load index and speed rating and they are to be read and understood together, not seperately. I've used this analogy before, a 75H tire would take a Lotus Elise safely to 130 MPH, but a 75H tire on our cars and you would be lucky to hit 100 MPH before tire failure.

* Glass and other items held on by simple silicone/urethane - The Porsche in the picture below blew their tire at 150 MPH (Nothing fancy by today's standards), but when it went sideways at 150 MPH, the crosswinds on the car sheared it's windshield clean off. Also this Porsche was going in a straight-line at 150 MPH when this occurred.



* Suspension, brakes, ABS, traction control, and steering - Everyone of these go hand and hand together. This alone is the main reason for speed governors. GM has an entire facility dedicated to the testing of these systems and what kind of speeds it can take that won't cause failure or pre-mature wear. Personally I wouldn't want to be on a track at 120 to 130 MPH with drum rear brakes (ie Caliber), been there, done that and scared shitless then. Nothing quite like blowing out a wheel cylinder boot at those speeds, losing your brake fluid and not being able to stop.
Very well stated and every fact is true. Besides that faster you go, that faster the gas needle drops. Greater risk of accident.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
CoolCallie said:
* Tires - Read that number and letter combo next to the tire size sometime. That is the load index and speed rating and they are to be read and understood together, not seperately. I've used this analogy before, a 75H tire would take a Lotus Elise safely to 130 MPH, but a 75H tire on our cars and you would be lucky to hit 100 MPH before tire failure.
I think I have to disagree with the above statement. The '75' indicates the load rating, and the 'H' is the speed rating - it should not matter what vehicle the tire is installed on, the 'H' rating indicates that that tire is OK up to 130mph (210k/mh for our Canadian Friends).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
MikeinWoodstock said:
I think I have to disagree with the above statement. The '75' indicates the load rating, and the 'H' is the speed rating - it should not matter what vehicle the tire is installed on, the 'H' rating indicates that that tire is OK up to 130mph (210k/mh for our Canadian Friends).
^^ correct
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
i saw a caliber dirtier than that today.. on my way from droppin off my parents @ the airport. I couldnt tell whether it was steel blue or black.. it was that dirty. (too little paint showing to tell)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
calibur said:
I'm wondering if im the only one that doesn't drive the caliber like a sports car. :confused:
I know I think it's funny that people are practically whining everywhere about how the Caliber doesn't do 12 sec quarter miles and act like it should blast off as if it had a Hemi in it. For crying out loud the Caliber has a 2.0L 4-banger in it. It's for going to work, the park, the store church etc... not for winning the grand prix or a NASCAR circuit. I saw the same thing with the Neon. If you want a grocery-getter that goes like a hot-rod then you need to dump several thousand dollars into it… or get the SRT4.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
GOT said:
I know I think it's funny that people are practically whining everywhere about how the Caliber doesn't do 12 sec quarter miles and act like it should blast off as if it had a Hemi in it. For crying out loud the Caliber has a 2.0L 4-banger in it. It's for going to work, the park, the store church etc... not for winning the grand prix or a NASCAR circuit. I saw the same thing with the Neon. If you want a grocery-getter that goes like a hot-rod then you need to dump several thousand dollars into it… or get the SRT4.
Well put!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
GOT said:
I know I think it's funny that people are practically whining everywhere about how the Caliber doesn't do 12 sec quarter miles and act like it should blast off as if it had a Hemi in it. For crying out loud the Caliber has a 2.0L 4-banger in it. It's for going to work, the park, the store church etc... not for winning the grand prix or a NASCAR circuit. I saw the same thing with the Neon. If you want a grocery-getter that goes like a hot-rod then you need to dump several thousand dollars into it… or get the SRT4.
My Caliber has a 2.4L and will not be near church any time soon. To each his own. And no, I don't consider a trip to the dealer praying at the Church of Dodge.
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Top