Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...I'm a newbie here on the forum. Been reading through the threads for the past few days as I research a possible Caliber purchase. I'm very hesitant to buy a new model when it's in such early production; however, i love the car. My question is: In the experiences you all have had so far with your cars, do you think it's wiser to wait until some later production models in the hopes that some of these "bugs" (i.e. fenderwell noise, door alignment, etc) are worked out? Honest opinions are welcome. Thanks for considering! :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
speaking from my experience, I am very satisfied with the Caliber, both in fit, finish and performance. I have noticed some road noise, but I am positive that is from the tires. The interior fit is very nice, no rattles of loose panels (I know that can change, but it can change in any car)

I say if you want one, get one. If you want to wait, wait.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think, if small quirks will drive you mad - do not buy an early production of any car. It doesn't matter if it's a Civic, Camry, Altima, Golf or anything.... the only proven way to eradicate small quirks is to get feedback from the early owners and then make changes as time passes.

Some people will tolerate small bugs, and small quirks will not diminish their liking of their car. For example, in my Mazda3 - early production runs had glove boxes that did not close right if you actually put stuff into the glove box (the box is set up so most of its contents sit within the door itself - instead of a recess in the dash. So, people had to end up taking soldering irons to add on a bit of support to the hook that holds the glovebox door in place. I know lots of people were pissed off to no end to see the gap between the dash and the glovebox - and others had no problem doing a quick mod to their car to make the box close properly. Mazda addressed this issue very quickly and then the problem went away about 5 months into the production cycle.

Anyway, my point is - if you won't tolerate small bugs, do not buy a new car in an early production run. But, if you're more interested in getting a fresh car, the Caliber is a great choice :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
holeydonut said:
I think, if small quirks will drive you mad - do not buy an early production of any car. It doesn't matter if it's a Civic, Camry, Altima, Golf or anything.... the only proven way to eradicate small quirks is to get feedback from the early owners and then make changes as time passes.

Some people will tolerate small bugs, and small quirks will not diminish their liking of their car. For example, in my Mazda3 - early production runs had glove boxes that did not close right if you actually put stuff into the glove box (the box is set up so most of its contents sit within the door itself - instead of a recess in the dash. So, people had to end up taking soldering irons to add on a bit of support to the hook that holds the glovebox door in place. I know lots of people were pissed off to no end to see the gap between the dash and the glovebox - and others had no problem doing a quick mod to their car to make the box close properly. Mazda addressed this issue very quickly and then the problem went away about 5 months into the production cycle.

Anyway, my point is - if you won't tolerate small bugs, do not buy a new car in an early production run. But, if you're more interested in getting a fresh car, the Caliber is a great choice :)
That is good advice. Usually, too few protos are built on any new product because there are never enough resources, .i.e. time and money.

I usually wait until year 3 to buy a new car. Year one gives 'em feedback, year 2 gives them time to fix the problems. Changes get introduced by year 3. Things may change faster now, however.

I'd like to hear from people working at Belevedere. How quickly do things get fixed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a 1997 Dakota the first month after a major redesign. I never had any kind of problem. However, if you can wait, why not. If my dealer ever gets a car I can road test (I've been waiting for a month) I will buy it with no hesitation if that is the car I want.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I honestly love my Caliber R/T, showed it to a real car critic today, usually hates smallish cars, all he could say was geez, kinda nice, funky looking in a good way.

I rest my case. Buy a Caliber.

Flaps:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
A car review quoted that the Caliber will most likely be like the Neon in that the first "year" ( 200 ) will have an 18 month run, with the 2008's coming out in the fall of 2007. Just FYI.

Also, most of the "bugs" in new cars these days are fixed at the dealer. If that doesn't bug you, get yo-self a Caliber. If you need to have any of those things arrive from the factory already in place, like the door alignment, then you can wait, but that doesn't mean the door alignment (or whatever the bug is) is going to get any better for months, or even until the next model year. They may just leave it or the dealers to "straighten out" (pun intended).

I've test driven about 10 different "first on the lot" Calibers (and I go through them from head to tail with a fine tooth comb), and find them to be very well put together for a first run car.

If I was buying now, I wouldn't hesitate, and I AM picking about noises, rattles, squeals, etc. But, then again, if you know your dealer or have heard great things about the dealer, they will be taken care of promptly, which is all that I'm really worried about.

You know you waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant it!!! LOL

·
Registered
60 Posts
i've got one word for you - WARRANTY.

buy it...love it...deal with trouble one day at a time. can't control the flow of water but, you damn well can adapt to it.

all you can do...is maintain your vehicle...save the receipts (as proof of proper care).

even later production models...can have issues. nothing in life is a guarentee...well except death but thats a given.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wife hasnt had a single problem with her car, just look at it this way any car you buy can have a potential problem. people buy new cars everyday and some unfortunatley have issues.

·
Registered
746 Posts
cars as a whole are a liabilty not an investment. all cars will break down because they are not built to last forever. it's just a matter of when and how much. you could buy a japanese model and yes, you will be happy with it for the first while when nothing goes wrong, but when it does, it'll cost you. you can buy a pos cavalier and yes, immediately something will go wrong but it's dirt cheap and easy to fix. there's no getting around fixing your car new or used. lemons exist in all brands new or used. warrenties are the way to go. yes, they're sort of a gamble, but if you're only paying 1k for like three years extended or whatever, you're sort of banking on the fact that you're going to have at least that in repairs in the years to come and 1k gets used up quick.

listen to riceaddictboy and anyone else who tells you, warrenties bridge the gap of time and use for your vehicle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts