Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you let your Caliber warm up before driving it on a cold morning? How do you determine that the engine is warm enough?

·
Registered
343 Posts
When you first turn the engine over, it will rev a bit higher to warm up, and usually it will fall back to regular RPM's within a few minutes. I give mine time to warm up when I hook my iPod up and turn on the radio, that's it.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
lately i have been giving my car 10 mins to warmup. I definetly notice a difference when i hop in the car and take off at 10ºF with a cold drivetrain. Also for my short trip a 10 min warmup may actually save me on gas vs it running in *open* loop the entire way there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
the best way to warm up the engine is by driving (calm), not before driving; leading in warming up is the temperature of the oil, not the coolant because the temperature of the cooling-water rises faster than the temperature of the oil! The right operatingtemperature of the oil is reached about 15 mls or 20 minutes after the cold start; if you warm up in town it takes more time, out of town (faster driving) goes faster

when the temperature of the oil is 190F/90C you can drive full throttle

keep in mind that the cold start and the period until the oil is warm enough cause the most wear in the engine; a few cold starts and driving with a cold engine causes more wear than nonstop NY to LA;
that is the reason that I mount a oiltemperaturegauge in my (classic) cars

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Actually the oil being warm is critical only for viscocity. The tempreture of the coolant determines when the engine begins using the O2 sensor output to determine fuel trim. Otherwise its just dumping fuel and running high attempting to warm itself up. The oil will warm very quickly as its pressurized and travels through oil passages.

·
Registered
65 Posts
A give any car about 30 seconds on a normal day. On the super Atlantic Canadian cold days, I let any car warm up for a few mins. All the while scrapping the windows and unplugging the block heater.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have a question... how high does everyone see their temp gauge go when warm?

middle, below or above the half way mark on the temp gauge?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I read somewhere awhile back, I think it was a CAR & Driver article, that about 45 seconds to 1 minute is enough time for a car to warm up. Anything more is just wasting gas, according to the article. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit(a few minutes later):
Did some Google searching, and here is a quote that sums it up nicely...(it's not from Car & Driver but this seems to be the consensus, and this was the answer with the best description)

"In modern vehicles, you do not need excessive warm up time. The minimum that the manufacturers recommend is 30 seconds. Simply enough time to get the oil flowing throughout the engine. If you wanted to wait any longer, you could wait for the car to drop out of fast idle. That is usually an indication that the engine is warm enough for proper operation. Manually increasing the idle above the already fast idle is not recommended."

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Those articles are correct as for the engine reaching operating temp. Its VERY fast on modern cars but thats basically just good for "basic operation" and likely at some average ambient temp well over freezing. Sure you can drive the car just fine in open loop but you will notice it will use alot more fuel and require more throttle to get to speed. RPMs will hang higher with the CVT as its working harder to make power in its rich condition. Its not till the coolant temp sensor tells the ECM that coolant has reached operating temp that it will begin sampling from the O2s to determine fuel trim.
My 10 min warmup even is not needed but it gets the frost off my windows and my steering wheel warm. Besides it takes me about that long to finish getting ready.

In a previous post i mixed up open and closed loop ... corrected

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 mine never reaches the halfway mark its about 40% of the scale most of the time

·
Registered
65 Posts
gwilson said:
I read somewhere awhile back, I think it was a CAR & Driver article, that about 45 seconds to 1 minute is enough time for a car to warm up. Anything more is just wasting gas, according to the article. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit(a few minutes later):
Did some Google searching, and here is a quote that sums it up nicely...(it's not from Car & Driver but this seems to be the consensus, and this was the answer with the best description)

"In modern vehicles, you do not need excessive warm up time. The minimum that the manufacturers recommend is 30 seconds. Simply enough time to get the oil flowing throughout the engine. If you wanted to wait any longer, you could wait for the car to drop out of fast idle. That is usually an indication that the engine is warm enough for proper operation. Manually increasing the idle above the already fast idle is not recommended."

I think people are confusing warming up with sufficent oil coverage. After a night of -20c letting a car idle for 30 seconds isn't going to cut it for warming up. But it would be enough oil coverage to start driving.

I usually let the car idle while I clean the windows and whatever. You get in the car and you can feel its starting to warm up. What did I waste, 30¢ in gas? No skin off my nuts so to speak.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Fingernipp said:
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 mine never reaches the halfway mark its about 40% of the scale most of the time
Same with mine.........doesn't get even near the halfway mark. I only warm up for around a minute or so, just to get the oil flowing. But if I got snow or ice to remove, I will warm it up the whole time untill I'm done cleaning it off.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mine too. I asked at work and they said that's normal. Oh well, I always though the halfway mark was always normal in my other cars. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
none of my cars actually reach the halfway mark. It just depends on the scale of the gauge.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i really hope you guys arent giving you car a long time to warm up, its a waste of gas, and really bad for the environment, all those extra emissions!!! a car only ever needs 30 seconds to warm up and to run properly, especially a brand new car! it might rev higher for a few minutes, but you can drive it. Living in Ontario during this cold spell right now, i can tell you it was -21 C thismorning, and i let me car warm up for a bout 30 seconds before i backed out of my driveway, and it ran fine.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
yes it will run fine but driving it in open loop will actually decrease your fuel economy quite a bit. You actually may even be using more fuel not warming it up to operating temp than you would if you just let it sit and idle. Im actually conducting a test now to find out what way saves more on gas. Im halfway through but it looks like i may have some exra driving to do tommorow that will ruin my results. Like i said before your ECM stays in open loop till the coolant temp sensor tells it its reached operating temp. Till then its driving without the O2 sensors. On a really cold day this can take some time. It has reached operating temp when the thermostat is open. You will know this when you feel heat from your vents.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm going to fill my tank up and try giving my car a good 10 min warm up and see if my mph changes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My45 said:
i really hope you guys arent giving you car a long time to warm up, its a waste of gas, and really bad for the environment, all those extra emissions!!! a car only ever needs 30 seconds to warm up and to run properly, especially a brand new car! it might rev higher for a few minutes, but you can drive it. Living in Ontario during this cold spell right now, i can tell you it was -21 C thismorning, and i let me car warm up for a bout 30 seconds before i backed out of my driveway, and it ran fine.
Revving your car up while it's cold makes baby Jesus cry. Don't do it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I go out and start my car, go in and brush my teeth, and then put my coat on and head out the door. 2-3 min max. It doesn't really seem to make a difference as far as how the car performs, or how quickly the heater starts to blow warm air (has anyone else noticed how good the heater works? It can be -10 outside and when the car is sufficiently warmed up I have to turn down the heat knob).

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
I'm going to fill my tank up and try giving my car a good 10 min warm up and see if my mph changes.
it shouldnt actually need 10 mins... maybe 5 on a moderately cold morning.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts