Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my rack to transport kayaks, while doing that this past weekend I noticed the yaks bouncing due to slight road bumps and wind. With all of the bouncing one of the kayaks came a little loose and started to slide out. I was able to pull over to the side and crank the ratcheting straps so tight the kayak was deformed. Once let loose the kayak sprang back to original shape but I'm not going to compress the yak that much again. I never had to strap this tight with the Volkswagen rack I had on my new beetle. The new beetle rack is made from extruded aluminum though. All that vibration is due to cause a failure and I don't want it to happen while I have 3 yaks up there on a highway.

My solution:

I'm making new crossbars from extruded aluminum that will bolt to the riser brackets that came with the rack. The plastic/carbon fiber crossbars will be put away. In my opinion they are too flimsy to be used for anything other than decoration. As usual I will post pictures when I get my modification done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ordered the roof rack with the bike carriers for my Caliber... I have 2 heavy downhill bikes, so it better be solid enough or they will have to pedal fast at the dealership to get me something that will hold them up there without bouncing!!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Thanks for the report .22! I want some roof racks but will wait till I find something worth my money.

·
Registered
506 Posts
i just need a snowboard rack for 1-2 boards and a bike rack next to it for 1-2 bikes does such a configuration exist? or do my boards need to go in the cabin?

·
Registered
506 Posts
anyone know anything about it?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might want to put the board rack in the center and the a bike rack on either side of it. The rack is about 48 inches wide, how wide are the board and each bike rack?

·
Registered
190 Posts
.22 said:
My solution:

I'm making new crossbars from extruded aluminum that will bolt to the riser brackets that came with the rack. The plastic/carbon fiber crossbars will be put away. In my opinion they are too flimsy to be used for anything other than decoration. As usual I will post pictures when I get my modification done.
Thanks for the info on the rack, and the photos of your original install. I finally received my rack by UPS from my dealer over 4 weeks afer I took delivery of my R/T. If you have photos of your new crossbars, please post them, thanks. I don't know that I'm up for drilling/installing this new thing, I didn't realize it was a permanent install and in my opinion, a bit ugly. Don't want to mess up my new Caliber, maybe I should sell it and opt for the trailer hitch and the hitch bike rack instead... Anyone insterested in a new in box roof rack for their Caliiber, send me a msg. I'm in NY.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I opted to go with the trailer hitch style for carring my bikes.... I purchased a Hidden hitch and a Saris T-RAX 500 (4 Bike) carrier... I must say I love the way the hitch is bairly visible and the carrier hols the bikes solid!

:)

Mike A

1 - 8 of 8 Posts