Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have this problem?I took it in for service about like 6 weeks ago or so and I started noticing the same feeling again about 3 weeks after getting the rotors cut,so I just came back from having it checked again and they had to order the parts to replace the rotors and stuff cause no one had these in stock here in the city. Is this common for the rotors to warp or did I just get the worst caliber made ever? Seriously It seems there are so many things wrong with it! To top it off the hatchback is not even aligned right one side has a bigger gap than the other and it looks like its not closing all the way on one side but its closed just its crooked so it looks odd,I didn't see it till after a few weeks after I had bought it,also chil zone never works,I tried it on a 2 hr trip and the 20oz never got cold I had the air on the whole time.Anyhow as I mentioned on another post my biggest concerns right now are the mold,wet floors and shaking steering wheel from warping rotors anyone else expireince this warping?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I suggest you try bedding your brakes first. Most service writers are not aware of this problem and automatically assume the rotors are warped. It may simply be uneven deposits of pad material on your rotors causing brake judder.

I had never heard of this procedure until I tried it. It works! What you're actually doing is transferring a thin even layer of pad material onto the rotors. This will greatly improve your brake performance and all cars need this done. This will NOT warp your rotors either.

Here's a link on how to bed your brakes. Just remember to do this somewhere where you'll have sufficient time to drive in order to cool the rotors off after doing it. Give it a try & please let us know if it worked for you.

BEDDING BRAKES

Medic

·
Registered
246 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
would this work on brakes that have been in use for a while too?
By all means. This can be done anytime at all. At the first sign of judder, try it first before taking it in to the dealer. It certainly can't hurt and could save you a lot of money. All braking systems will benefit from this from stock, to performance to track. There's a ton of other useful information on that site as well.

Medic

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Medic said:
By all means. This can be done anytime at all. At the first sign of judder, try it first before taking it in to the dealer. It certainly can't hurt and could save you a lot of money. All braking systems will benefit from this from stock, to performance to track. There's a ton of other useful information on that site as well.

Medic
I ask because the truck shakes like crazy when you use the brakes especially under hard/panic stopping, the dealer told me it was the ABS but the truck doesnt have ABS on it:mad: :mad: , i found this out after i slid into a curb!!:mad: $#!&@ dealer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Medic said:
I suggest you try bedding your brakes first. Most service writers are not aware of this problem and automatically assume the rotors are warped. It may simply be uneven deposits of pad material on your rotors causing brake judder.

I had never heard of this procedure until I tried it. It works! What you're actually doing is transferring a thin even layer of pad material onto the rotors. This will greatly improve your brake performance and all cars need this done. This will NOT warp your rotors either.

Here's a link on how to bed your brakes. Just remember to do this somewhere where you'll have sufficient time to drive in order to cool the rotors off after doing it. Give it a try & please let us know if it worked for you.

BEDDING BRAKES

Medic
I appreciate the link and all but I am a female and can't work on my car,and my husband dosn't have the time for it thats why I have to take it in to the dealer each time something goes wrong with it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
cannonball said:
I appreciate the link and all but I am a female and can't work on my car,and my husband dosn't have the time for it thats why I have to take it in to the dealer each time something goes wrong with it.
This is something ANYONE can do. If you're able to drive your car, take it up to 60 mph, apply your brakes FIRMLY, repeating this procedure and driving your car till the rotors cool, then YOU, yes YOU can do it!!!

There are many females who could show lots of men a thing or two about cars. One of them is named HEMEEE. C'mon give her a go and show that husband of yours you know what you're talking about. You may just impress him too. Good luck!!!:)

Medic

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'll 2nd that!

You can do it cannonball and we need the results! :cool:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Very interesting article. I think I'll give it a try... Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will try this after I get my new rotors and brakes put in either this coming up friday or the next monday following that,as I am going to be without the car for a few days while they investigate where the leak is coming in from and they gotta dry out my carpet or replace it cause the stink of mold is unbearable.And when I get it back I will go get my rotors and brakes replaced at another dealership.so then I shall try try this,thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
cannonball said:
I will try this after I get my new rotors and brakes put in either this coming up friday or the next monday following that,as I am going to be without the car for a few days while they investigate where the leak is coming in from and they gotta dry out my carpet or replace it cause the stink of mold is unbearable.And when I get it back I will go get my rotors and brakes replaced at another dealership.so then I shall try try this,thanks.
Can't help with your other problem and obviously that's a warranty issue anyway, but it won't hurt to attempt bedding BEFORE you go and get those rotors & pads replaced. As I mentioned earlier, all it may be is uneven deposits of pad material on your rotors. This condition is very common and is called brake judder. Your dealer will be more than happy to separate you from your money and you'll never be the wiser. You have nothing to lose, well except your hard earned cash that is! Good luck cannonball.:)

Medic

·
Registered
77 Posts
When we bought our car home I beded the brakes as soon as we drove off the lot. Went straight to the nearest empty parking lot and did the deed.

Wife thought that I was crazy, until I explained it to her. It's an old habit of mine since I bought my frst car eons ago.

Also, by breaking the car in properly as per the schedule you aleviate alot of problems as well. Yes it sucks going no faster than 80km/h for the first 100km and limiting yourself to not speed over 100km/h for the first 500km but again, it's well worth it.

The brake bedding and break-in period are some things that many new car owners overlook or completely ignor altogether, leading to many problems that could have been taken care of in the begining.

Regards

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had a problem with warping rotors on a 91 Caravan I owned.

There was 12,00 km on the car and the dealer refused to do anything under warranty. Said the solution was to replace rotors and pads at my expense.

That was when I turned and walked out the door. Dealership went under 7 months later.

Sometimes I guess it is just a bad batch of rotors.

·
Registered
147 Posts
cannonball said:
...also chil zone never works,I tried it on a 2 hr trip and the 20oz never got cold I had the air on the whole time...
Since no one mentioned it.....I know it's the least of your worries, but the ChillZone is not a refridgerator....it will not cool your drinks. It will however slow down the warming of the drink. You need to start with a bottle from the fridge & use the ChillZone to keep it cool (not cold). The air going in there is likely about 45ºF....not 35ºF like a fridge.

J

·
Registered
147 Posts
Another thing that can contribute to warped rotors is uneven wheel lug torquing. The shop guys generally use air guns resulting in uneven torques. Request the shop tech to torque the wheel lugs to spec.

J

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'll bet with the way I've been driving my pads and rotors might last longer than most here. I coast up to the light and at 35 mph I down shift in to low and rpm hit 2 and almost don't need to use the brakes. People following me must think my brake lights are broken or something because they don't see my lights on until the very end at about 2 - 5 mph. :cool:

·
Registered
413 Posts
How come the link to bedding the brakes is broken?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Now it works............got it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts