Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have water or condensation in my driver side tail light housing asembly. Is there anyway to remove the assembly, clean it out and seal it as it is reassembled? Or has anyone found some nice aftermarket replacement tail light assemblies?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
You can reseal it, but it will probably come back. Is it still under warranty? If so, have the dealer replace it.

·
Premium Member
29,879 Posts
There is a TSB for that which if you still have warranty you can get it replaced.

otherwise there are a few different aftermarket lights that you might be interested in. i've also seen stock tail lights go for cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Removing the assembly is easy as pie. It's even in the owners manual IIRC as you have to remove it to change out the bulbs. They're just held in with a couple of clips. You could try putting silicone around the sides to seal it. Aftermarket units are cheap and plentiful also should it come to that, plus you could get some bling-bling LED units :D

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I resealed mines with success. The trickiest part was drying out the assembly prior to applying the sealant.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I resealed mines with success. The trickiest part was drying out the assembly prior to applying the sealant.
I have the same problem, but there is actually an inch of water accumulated at the bottom of the assembly. How did you go about drying it out and how do you get it off the car to do so? I know I've replaced the bulb in there once, so it has been taken off, but it was a couple of years ago. Plus, my car is only under the extended "ultimate" powertrain warranty and I'm not sure the tail light assembly is included in that. I asked the dealership to mail me the specifics of my remaining warranty, but that was just this morning. I know I need to get the water out soon so I don't run into any trouble.

·
Premium Member
29,879 Posts
I have the same problem, but there is actually an inch of water accumulated at the bottom of the assembly. How did you go about drying it out and how do you get it off the car to do so? I know I've replaced the bulb in there once, so it has been taken off, but it was a couple of years ago. Plus, my car is only under the extended "ultimate" powertrain warranty and I'm not sure the tail light assembly is included in that. I asked the dealership to mail me the specifics of my remaining warranty, but that was just this morning. I know I need to get the water out soon so I don't run into any trouble.
you can take it out the same way to replace the bulb. IIRC the instructions are in the owners manual.

just let it dry overnight. while it out you could always run a bit of silicone around it to try and seal it.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Mine is the same way... and also only the driver's side. I had the same problem with one of my Depo headlamp housings after I got back from the sandbox in May. Cooked that in the oven at the lowest setting to dry things out and then re-sealed it with silicone. Will be doing the same with my taillight this weekend.

·
Premium Member
29,879 Posts
you could attempt to reseal the lights with some silicone.

maybe look at some junkyards and see if there are any *dry* tail lights there or on ebay for some cheap lights to replace yours with.

although, they are not *that* expensive from the dealer, i think i got a new drivers side one for $120-ish CDN.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Seems as if that water/condensation problem is common for the Caliber. Only 3 month after I purchased my brand new Caliber I realized condensation in my passenger's tail light. It was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So I had this issue for a long time, and left it alone. The other day I decided to remove the tail lamp finally and the thing was half full of water!!!

Kicking myself in the *ss for not taking pics, It was pretty funny. I said screw it and drilled some drain holes in the bottom, will eventually replace.

·
Registered
74 Posts
had the same problem with mine and was replaced under warranty

·
Registered
1 Posts
Right or wrong ? I just drilled a hole in a stratigic low spot on the bottom. Water runs out just as fast as it runs in. Mine are dry as a bone now....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drilled holes in bottom of mine months ago and drained half full of water and the condensation is still in there. looks like sh4t!!! couldn't get it dried out with a hair dryer and thought by now the sun would of dried it by now. Wish there was somebody who represents Dodge that you could drive in and punch in the face and leave...:/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi peeps! Just so you know, pretty much every single Dodge Caliber that I have seen here in Orlando, FL has water I their tail lights, including SRT4's and even the 2011 models. Even at the dealership when I'm waiting to do the oil change, I see men and women with Caliber tail lights with plenty of water inside them. I own a 2007 Caliber sxt, and three months after I purchased the Caliber brand new out of the lot I was at the dealer replacing the first tail light, yay! Two month after that, again, to the dealer replacing the other one. I kept replacing them until the warranty was done! I even told the manager at the dealership that there's something wrong with the design or the quality of the car part; and that I wasn't the only one with this problem. Well, having my documents ready to replace the tail light again after three sets of tail lights, the warranty was up, now it was $145 a piece... What??? I contacted Daimler-Chrysler HQ at the time in Michigan to open a case and to get the headlights replaced for the fourth time! Can you believe that the lady told me they never had a report about leaking or condensation in Caliber's tail lights? Or so they said... I mentioned if they have thought of making a recall or can replace my tail lights, and she said NO. Well, I took the latest tail lights and rinsed them with Aquafina water, let them dried out in the sun, applied clear silicon around the edges and bulbs rings, and to this day they've been dry. I'm hoping that there's many of us with the same situation!!! I just wanted to share...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts