Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah my first trip to the track ever.....You aren't going to see any impressive numbers posted here or anything else....My car gets absouletly no traction! Which thats really no shock there but my times were terrible however the speed was there 108 mph. So I still have a lot to learn about driving at the track and launching and I have to get rid of my tires right away and get something good.

So back to the drawing board and time to deal with the traction issues. Had a great time though.:jester:

·
Registered
304 Posts
whats was the times you ran?

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
uuhhh, your gonna post this without showing times? common now, you know better than that. doesnt matter if they are horrible, we can at least point and laugh.

your trap is nice but i would of thought at least 112+ spinning taking into account that this car slows traps when spinning. hell ive seen ms1 cars post 110 traps, your must of not got traction once through the whole run lol

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
uuhhh, your gonna post this without showing times? common now, you know better than that. doesnt matter if they are horrible, we can at least point and laugh.

your trap is nice but i would of thought at least 112+ spinning taking into account that this car slows traps when spinning. hell ive seen ms1 cars post 110 traps, your must of not got traction once through the whole run lol
Bingo!!! No traction whatsover..... The tires just were spinning in every gear. I had to let someone else drive the car to get the 108 but their 1/4 was 15 even......He wasn't use to my clutch. My first run I did 14.5 next 14.285 last run 14.038

So My best run
60' 2.387
330 6.452
1/8 9.395
MPH 84.53
1000 11.906
/4 14.038
MPH 104.66

So anyone care to give me lessons on launching at the track lol.... I hope to get new summer tires ordered this week. By Eagle RSA's have barely and tread left on the inside because my alignment isnt right so they are really worn. I've been sliding around a lot anytime the road was wet so this just confirmed that my tires need to be replace right now.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bingo!!! No traction whatsover..... The tires just were spinning in every gear. I had to let someone else drive the car to get the 108 but their 1/4 was 15 even......He wasn't use to my clutch. My first run I did 14.5 next 14.285 last run 14.038

So My best run
60' 2.387
330 6.452
1/8 9.395
MPH 84.53
1000 11.906
/4 14.038
MPH 104.66

So anyone care to give me lessons on launching at the track lol.... I hope to get new summer tires ordered this week. By Eagle RSA's have barely and tread left on the inside because my alignment isnt right so they are really worn. I've been sliding around a lot anytime the road was wet so this just confirmed that my tires need to be replace right now.
And to top it off my friend who I went with in his Cobalt SS Turbo got 13.525 which he is the one who drove it and got a 108

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
well if your running full psi in the tires then thats 1 big problem. another is your using rsa's at 400+whp, and another big problem is those ****ty rsa's are mounted on 7.5" wide wheels. id say the odds are not in your favor. if your spinning in every gear then not much your gonna do will help. buy 18's with dr's or get smaller brakes and slicks thats about all that will help. your car must be a riot on the highway though. fcking roll race king

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well if your running full psi in the tires then thats 1 big problem. another is your using rsa's at 400+whp, and another big problem is those ****ty rsa's are mounted on 7.5" wide wheels. id say the odds are not in your favor. if your spinning in every gear then not much your gonna do will help. buy 18's with dr's or get smaller brakes and slicks thats about all that will help. your car must be a riot on the highway though. fcking roll race king
Yeah I knew it was going to be bad. I just didnt think it would be this bad. I think I could have gotten in the 13's easily on the RSA's if they would have had tread on them. On the inside they are just about smooth from the alignment being off. I will be fixing that when I get the new tires. I just wanted to get out there and see how it was since I had never driven on the track and have fun. Which I did!

I also think I might have a water pump going out on my car too and that didnt help things either!

Anyway I want to get 18 inch rims but I really cant find any that I like every time I find one I like no place has them in stock. I'm thinking about just getting some black steel rims at this point and just mounting the tires on that. Or I was thinking about getting Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 on the stock rims.

What RPM's should I be at when I launch at the track?
But yeah its fun on the normal streets....Not that I like driving fast on the streets but I'll race someone to 80. So far I have only lost once and it was when I was only boosting 10 psi instead of 27 lol

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
its hard to say. ideally is just enough not to bog but not enough to boil. for me that was 3k ish with 27psi in the tires. i probably could of went to 24psi and 3500ish and gotten a better time. but even then the best i could pull out of it is a 2.3 60'. it went 13.6 like that. imagine with a 1.8 60.... can you say 12's wih ms1 and bolt ons.

as for me im leaning on getting nto5's on 18's x 9.5 wheels with. that way i can get an almost 10" tire thats basically the same height as the 19 thats there now. plus not05's seem to grip like a mother but be ok for dd and are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its hard to say. ideally is just enough not to bog but not enough to boil. for me that was 3k ish with 27psi in the tires. i probably could of went to 24psi and 3500ish and gotten a better time. but even then the best i could pull out of it is a 2.3 60'. it went 13.6 like that. imagine with a 1.8 60.... can you say 12's wih ms1 and bolt ons.

as for me im leaning on getting nto5's on 18's x 9.5 wheels with. that way i can get an almost 10" tire thats basically the same height as the 19 thats there now. plus not05's seem to grip like a mother but be ok for dd and are reasonably priced.
How much is that setup going to cost you?Everything I have priced has been so expensive that it was just crazy....But I know I'm going to have to spend the money. I wish I could find an 18 inch rim here locally that would work. But everywhere I go they say they dont have anything.

Ouch.

Time for some drag radials...
I wish I had the money to put on drag radials but I dont..... I might just have to get drag radials on the front tires that really about all I can afford right now.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
i cant say exactly how much because i havent found a rim i like enough to buy yet and im not putting down enough power to justify spending 1500+ on rims right now.

but i priced out some gt500 replicas in a 18x9.5 with 255/45/18's at $1600 shipped. but at that price i have a pretty decent selection in rims. hopefully when i have the money and am ready to get wheels ill be able to spend enough to get some axis or rays wheels.

ive never been able to find a rim i really want.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i cant say exactly how much because i havent found a rim i like enough to buy yet and im not putting down enough power to justify spending 1500+ on rims right now.

but i priced out some gt500 replicas in a 18x9.5 with 255/45/18's at $1600 shipped. but at that price i have a pretty decent selection in rims. hopefully when i have the money and am ready to get wheels ill be able to spend enough to get some axis or rays wheels.

ive never been able to find a rim i really want.
See thats my problem. I really like the stock rim but I know they are huge and heavy and have a limited selection of tires. But I dont like any of the 18inch rims. However I did see the pictures of the caliber with mustang GT500 rims and that looks great but I cant afford 1000 just for rims!

I was thinking about the Sport Edition A7's and then just paint them black or have them powdercoated or painted gunmetal. I think I will start another thread about tires and rims. Because I'm going to have to make a decision this week!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dam that sucks having a huge amount of power but no way to put it down without spinning uncontrollably!
It's a good problem to have though. I always knew it would be a problem thats why I've been running the stock tires hard because I knew they would be worthless with this kind of power.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Sucks man Im definitely no guru in launching hah! But what worked for me best was revving to about 2500-3000rpms feathering the clutch while pegging the throttle through first then slamming it into second :bigthumb: then again my best time was a 14.9 :rofl: so you might not want to take my advice haha.

Some of the guys left their traction control on revved to 3000 and just dumped the clutch they were running consistent 13.9s

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Sucks man Im definitely no guru in launching hah! But what worked for me best was revving to about 2500-3000rpms feathering the clutch while pegging the throttle through first then slamming it into second :bigthumb: then again my best time was a 14.9 :rofl: so you might not want to take my advice haha.

Some of the guys left their traction control on revved to 3000 and just dumped the clutch they were running consistent 13.9s
leaving the tcs on is not a good idea. the car wants to control the wheel spin and can end up hurting its self. this isnt just some spin from the ground being a little wet. your full on launching the car.

also, most of us with just ms1 and bolt ons can rely on some wheel spin to not make us bog. but his car has so much power that the tires start to spin and never recover, plus he has enough power to spin them by flooring it on the top of 3rd. if he can spin them at those speeds then no launching technique will be worth a damn. your only as strong as your weakest link and in this case his tires are his weakest link.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Your best bet is to keep practicing with the RSA's. This will help you learn the launch better than a set of DR's because they will cover up some of the mistakes you may be making.

1. Drop your front tire to 25lb and raise the rears to 40lb.
2. Don't drop the clutch. Bring the revs to about 2,500 and ease into the clutch.
3. Forget about the light tree for now. When it goes green you can launch when your ready. The time doesn't start till you move.
4. You don't have to push the clutch all the way down to shift. No more than half way is plenty and will have you shifting quicker.
5. Race with no more than a 1/4 tank of gas.
6. I'm sure you mean your spinning in 1st and 2nd because if your spinning in 3 and 4 I want to know what MS1 you have.
Don't worry about the spin at the end of 1st and in 2nd. Keep rolling through it because you'll loose more time trying to back peddle than you will spinning through it.

Reactions: IndyCSRT4

·
Premium Member
6,903 Posts
Your best bet is to keep practicing with the RSA's. This will help you learn the launch better than a set of DR's because they will cover up some of the mistakes you may be making.

2. Don't drop the clutch. Bring the revs to about 2,500 and ease into the clutch.
3. Forget about the light tree for now. When it goes green you can launch when your ready. The time doesn't start till you move.
4. You don't have to push the clutch all the way down to shift. No more than half way is plenty and will have you shifting quicker.
6. I'm sure you mean your spinning in 1st and 2nd because if your spinning in 3 and 4 I want to know what MS1 you have.
Don't worry about the spin at the end of 1st and in 2nd. Keep rolling through it because you'll loose more time trying to back peddle than you will spinning through it.
realtune stage 2

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts

read his sig, he has rts2 and over 400whp. i dont spin 3rd, ill roast second and chirp 3rd but not spin 3rd on a roll, he on the other hand wouldnt surprise me spinning 4th on a roll on.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Wow, reading owns me.

Realtune stage 2? Holy cow! Thats like luanching the space shuttle.

RSA's need to go...period.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts