1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we kill a cobalt?
Can we mash a mazda?
Can we screw a civic?
Theres a bad one about a focus I will not post.

How do you think the caliber stacks up against others cars in its class in performance? (G5,Civic,Cobalt,Focus,Vibe,Versa,Mazda3,Ect...) Please add any cars you feel like!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
it feels pretty slow to me in my wife's SXT, my s-10 is way faster
I think her Pontiac Vibe she had before might have been a good run, but that's probably about it

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
the srt4 will no doubt... if i were to go on the show pinks to race a civic or a mazda 3 i am not sure the base Caliber would be my weapon of choice as i think you'd end up walking home

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
My mother rented a cobalt with the smaller engine though. It was peppy off the line but once moving it was no match for my R/T. I feel the R/T would have a chance against most of those base model cars. The focus would likely be fastest though.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Fingernipp said:
My mother rented a cobalt with the smaller engine though. It was peppy off the line but once moving it was no match for my R/T. I feel the R/T would have a chance against most of those base model cars. The focus would likely be fastest though.
i don't think you can take the top line 2.4L RT and compare it to the base bottom line of the others.... compare top RT to Mazda GT for example

·
Registered
22 Posts
well, with the 1.8 lb and a heavy ass car, is not going to deliver instant acceleration, even my ATX neon feels faster

·
Registered
168 Posts
black-sxt-sport said:
Can we kill a cobalt?
Can we mash a mazda?
Can we screw a civic?
Theres a bad one about a focus I will not post.
How do you think the caliber stacks up against others cars in its class in performance? (G5,Civic,Cobalt,Focus,Vibe,Versa,Mazda3,Ect...) Please add any cars you feel like!!!
From a seat-of-the-pants perspective, I think the Caliber would get smoked by everything except the Versa and possibly the Focus. Of course, this is largely meaningless considering the number of trim levels you're talking about; comparing a Caliber SRT4 to a base model Civic is different from comparing a base model Caliber to a top-gun Mazda 3.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i would agree that it would lose...to heavy...but it's not a sports car. i didn't buy it for the speed capabilities, now the srt-4 is a diff story.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Funny thing about the different models .. I just got back from Alberta, and I had rented an SXT to check out the different models performance and try out a few things I'd never do in my own Caliber (god bless insurance :D).

I was rather disappointed in it. Originally, I was going to rent a Caliber before buying one. The rental would have been an SXT, as they all seem to be. I'm so glad I didn't, if I DID rent the SXT out -- I'd never have bought a Caliber at all.

When I go all the way to the detent in my R/T, there's some decent acelleration, all the way down it's enough to push me into the seat and my head against the head rest. In the SXT, pushing the pedal all the way down seemed pretty weak over all. When I first left Calgary airport, there's a long stretch of road where I mashed the pedal down off a stop sign, and thought, "wtf?!".

It's possible that there could have been other issues with the car, maybe a clogged air filter or needed a tune up. It's not like I did some super controlled test, I just hopped in and drove 4,000KM.

Another thing I noticed was that my R/T handles corners MUCH better!

Some quick stats on the car (should it make a difference):
- The car had just under 25,500KM when I got it
- A tank of gas lasted anywhere from 425KM to 550KM
- The sticker had a build date of March 2006

I don't mean to knock anything here (so please don't get offended :)), it's just an observation from 9 days of driving on particular car which may (or may not) represent the SXT model in general.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've been noticing lately that when I mash the pedal to the point before the "go button," it has on a few occasions sent back in the seat a bit. Then, hitting the "go button" sends me back even further. I have the SE and it's doing this. If you press down on the gas pedal just right you can get some pretty good acceleration, but it does it at 40 mph or so and not right off the line. It's been said before that you can get pretty decent acceleration off the line if you press the pedal down just right. Therefore, while it may not beat those other cars off the line, it sure does do a good job of closing the gap and has the ability to pass them up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I wonder if there's some kind of variance between the electronic throttles. Kind of like how my two computers have slightly different performance in some games, despite being nearly identical (both hardware and software wise).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts