Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious what brand of gas people find gets the best mpg??

·
Registered
687 Posts
SHELL 87%, test it yourself!

Read more of my posts talking about it, I've worked hard to figure it out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I know it's subject to debate about using premium, but I use Shell V-Power.:D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just try different brands to see what works best for you. Even the same brand uses different additives in different parts of the country, so what works good for one person doesn't necessarily mean it will work good for someone in another part of the country. When I was in Central Cali, had a friend with a 89 Mustang 5.0 notchback. Had a supercharger on it and a couple other mods. He swore by Chevron. Nothing else worked in his car. On my 2000 Dakota, I get better performance out of 76 gas, but lower gas mileage. Haven't ever really tried for best gas mileage, because the gas that seems to work better cost more and the price difference cancels out the better gas mileage.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use Phillips 66 or Chevron 86 octane. And before anyone says anything, at altitudes over 3000 ft, 86 octane is regular. Just like octane slows down the burn of the fuel, thinner air does the samething. I have used Shell a couple times, but it cost more, and gave the same results. Citgo, and Conoco gave me the worst mpg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use Texaco or Chevron 87 octane. Both gasolines contain Techron and both meet the top tier standards.

·
Registered
644 Posts
the only 2 things that go in my cars is Chevron 89-91 or Shell V-Power ... i filled up one time at COSTCO and the car ran like crap through that whole tank of gas...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks, what we mostly have up here in ontario is, esso, petro canada, sunoco,shell, crappy tire, and a no name brand of fortinos, which is a grocery store!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've always had good luck with Shell and Marathon

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have ~80,000 miles worth of gas mileage data on a previous car of mine... it showed absolutely no difference between any brand of gasoline from completely generic 87 octane gas to 93 octane Shell. I most often filled it with generic gasoline with no problems, ever.

It was a 1995 Pontiac Firebird with the 3.4L V6 with excellent maintainance included 3-4k oil changes with synthetic oil and injector cleaner every 3-4k miles along with the oil change. Plugs, wires, air filters, etc were all kept up to date right on schedule.

I fill the Caliber with whatever is next to me when I feel like getting gas. I've racked up almost 7,000 miles since buying it on December 30th with no issues or statistically significant variance in gas mileage based on gasoline brand.

·
Registered
683 Posts
most of the stations around town all get their gas from the same storage tanks. The only difference would be various additives different brands might add.

Here in Phoenix 100% of the gas at the pumps comes from a central distribution center in the southwest part of town no matter what the brand. This is similar to how most cities distribute gas.

·
Registered
253 Posts
thes best brand of gas is the pump your at at 3 am in the center of no where on your road trip it dose not mater long as it looks like gas smells like gas tasts like gas then it is gas. so many stations use the same baluk plant from edmonton up hear. it all comes off the same fliping truck. i use to live on vancouver island and there is one balk plant for the intier island. so you all use the same gas. they came some difrent adatives but it is the same Sh!t when it is in the tank farm. tey may add some adatives. but get rell when it comes out of the ground as oil it is the same black gold.

·
Registered
202 Posts
On another thread they were talking about the best gasoline. I've always used the cheapest 87 octane around for my econo cars for 28+ years & the cars were great.

Whether I run good brand or cheap brand gas in my 2 liter CVT Caliber, my MPG is the same. Enough talk. Beat my overall yearly average 31.4MPG with any non-diesel Caliber, any brand gasoline, any octane for 50 tanks of gas. My 32.7 MPG trips over 4000 foot mountain passes will also be hard to beat.

You can use the 1.8 liter 5speed non-diesel Caliber too. I'll let you have a headstart. Report here your intension to do so, & away you go. I would suggest you compile your data on the gov't fuel economy website, but compile anyway you want to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use quiktrip gas most the time but generally the only rule I go by is I buy gas at places that sell alot of gas so there isnt water in the tank.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I dont know of much differences here except for MOBIL! I have had BAD expirences with Mobil CRAP in 2 or 3 cars in the past. I mainly use Sunnoco or Kwik Fill. Formula is only Sunnoco 93 unless I am on a trip to PA then it gets the 87 anything (Goes though it like mad and just cruzin 70 anyway)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Honestly, I think it depends on the car. If your car requires just 87 octane then it is obviously not very sensitive and probably won't run bad on whatever you use unless you get a bad batch of gas. If the car requires premium fuel then it is more than likely very sensitive(NSRT4) and needs to have good gas all the time with no inconsistencies and this is why using a fuel with additives mixed in to clean things up like chevron w/ techron or shell v-power does you good. I filled up with valero 91 in the srt4 one time and I was sputtering all over the place and it might have been due to lack of additives or maybe mixed up tanks and I was pumping 89 or 87 instead of 91. I drove down to a station that sells 100octane at the pump and put 5 gallons in on top of that tank and it ran fine again. Needless to say I never had problems with chevron or shell and I never used the cheaper gas ever again. Of course it all depends on whether or not the car is performance oriented. That would obviously make one car more prone to the "bad gas effect" than other cars that just require 87.

·
Registered
91 Posts
mldvenm said:
Honestly, I think it depends on the car. If your car requires just 87 octane then it is obviously not very sensitive and probably won't run bad on whatever you use unless you get a bad batch of gas. If the car requires premium fuel then it is more than likely very sensitive(NSRT4) and needs to have good gas all the time with no inconsistencies and this is why using a fuel with additives mixed in to clean things up like chevron w/ techron or shell v-power does you good. I filled up with valero 91 in the srt4 one time and I was sputtering all over the place and it might have been due to lack of additives or maybe mixed up tanks and I was pumping 89 or 87 instead of 91. I drove down to a station that sells 100octane at the pump and put 5 gallons in on top of that tank and it ran fine again. Needless to say I never had problems with chevron or shell and I never used the cheaper gas ever again. Of course it all depends on whether or not the car is performance oriented. That would obviously make one car more prone to the "bad gas effect" than other cars that just require 87.
I buy BP because they were brave enough to change from British Pretoleum to Beyond Pretrolium and shows their take on exploring and investing in new fuels so they get my busineiss whether or not it hurts my Caliber.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts