Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to be pessimistic, but I was thinking of a worst case scenario since my Dad brought this to my attention a few days ago:

I ordered my Caliber on 10/11 and was told of a delivery date of 3-6 weeks. I was laughing inside when my dealer told me that based on what I've read on the forums, but I tried to be optimistic and stay hopeful. I'm doing well with being patient BUT with the recent issues associated with R/T holdups (2.4 engine and sunroof issues) I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to get my car before the end of the year (doubtful).

MY REAL QUESTION IS:
If for some reason the major build/supplier issues aren't resolved soon, would it be smart to cancel my order towards the beginning of the new model year if my car hasn't shipped? I can't imagine getting my 2007 model delivered to me right as the 2008 models are making their way to the lots. The value of the car would have already lessened by this time. When will the 2008 models start showing up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts
Whether or not you cancel your order is entirely up to you. However, if you are still set on getting a Caliber, before you cancel the order, compare the price of the one you ordered against a similarly equipped '08 model. If the prices go up, you'd still be able to get your '07 at the lower price. If the prices are the same, you can get a newer model, you'll just have to wait a little longer to get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
It would be one hell of a holdup if your car isnt delivered until the 08 models start showing up. Generally you wont see next model years till mid year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fingernipp said:
It would be one hell of a holdup if your car isnt delivered until the 08 models start showing up. Generally you wont see next model years till mid year.
Yeah you're right... It would be one hell of a holdup, but since I'm still hearing that some people have waited 4 to 6 months for their Calibers, I'm not holding my breath. I didn't realize that the next model year was around mid-year. I thought it was mid-spring. Thanks for clarifying that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
The Caliber came out early, it will have a longer run than a normal model year, the '08s will be coming out around the normal new model time, mid summer to early fall. The exception to that might be the SRT4, that model might come out early, and as an '08, since that is an entirely different model, they can do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
ejfb said:
The Caliber came out early, it will have a longer run than a normal model year, the '08s will be coming out around the normal new model time, mid summer to early fall. The exception to that might be the SRT4, that model might come out early, and as an '08, since that is an entirely different model, they can do that.
word... i wouldn't worry about it as i don't think that will happen until july
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unoriginalusername said:
word... i wouldn't worry about it as i don't think that will happen until july
Cool. Thanks guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
I'm just speculating here, but don't they have to build all the ordered '07 models before retooling the robots to start making '08 models? Or can they build different models on the same assembly line?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
There probably won't be much retooling for the '08s, but orders just change over to an '08 model normally in that case. But, orders have a No More Orders date, with the expectation that all orders up to that point, will be built for that model year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ejfb said:
There probably won't be much retooling for the '08s, but orders just change over to an '08 model normally in that case. But, orders have a No More Orders date, with the expectation that all orders up to that point, will be built for that model year.
That makes perfect sense. I never thought about it that way... especially since the person that posted above you pointed out that they'd have to reconfigure the robots for '08 models. Thanks for the tidbit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
In the past most auto plants would have a shutdown time in July for retooling for the next model run. I think it is similar these days, but alot of it just happens midstream because technology is so far advanced.

My own opinion is that the 08 will probably look almost identical to the 07 IF it continues to sell without too many more glitches.

PS there is a WHOLE LOT of these things on dealer lots here in Cleveland, OHIO. R/T, SXT and SE. One dealer I was at on Thusday had 12 on the lot.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top