Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okies I have a question for all of you that have the Calibers with the Musigate system.

I have been noticing a kind of "buzz" vibration coming from the rear fender where the sub unit is when the radio is playing. While the sound is noticable from the interior of the car the sound is much worse if you are standing on the rear passenger side outside.(read body panel vibrations)

By all intents and purposes the sub is working just fine and have no reason to believe that it is blown(sounds great and thumps like crazy), it just seems like the whole unit is vibrating like someone forgot to tighten a bolt or 2 on it.

I know that some of you have removed the rear panels and placed sound material but was wondering if there are any mounting brackets that may be defective/weak causing the same problem that I have had. I know that I read someone had the same noise and mentioned something about a broken bracket( I think)..........

My intention is to take the car in for my next oil change in the following week or so and was wondering if anyone else had this repaired and has a TSB or a work order that I can bring along to show that is has been repaired before and what is involved in solving the problem.

Thanks in advance on any info that you may have. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Satellitedriver said:
Okies I have a question for all of you that have the Calibers with the Musigate system.

I have been noticing a kind of "buzz" vibration coming from the rear fender where the sub unit is when the radio is playing. While the sound is noticable from the interior of the car the sound is much worse if you are standing on the rear passenger side outside.(read body panel vibrations)

By all intents and purposes the sub is working just fine and have no reason to believe that it is blown(sounds great and thumps like crazy), it just seems like the whole unit is vibrating like someone forgot to tighten a bolt or 2 on it.

I know that some of you have removed the rear panels and placed sound material but was wondering if there are any mounting brackets that may be defective/weak causing the same problem that I have had. I know that I read someone had the same noise and mentioned something about a broken bracket( I think)..........

My intention is to take the car in for my next oil change in the following week or so and was wondering if anyone else had this repaired and has a TSB or a work order that I can bring along to show that is has been repaired before and what is involved in solving the problem.

Thanks in advance on any info that you may have. :)
I am having the same problem as well and it's incredibly annoying. I'm going in for an oil change this Friday and would definitely like to be able to point this out to them.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
definetly a common design flaw. I plan to insulate the entire car and hope to locate the cause to help others fix it too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
there is a design flaw...if you take apart the interior of the car you will notice no insulation. Plastic on metal FTL!!! Dynamat it and it should be fine, the sub is just rattling the interior....also that heat shield above the huge ass muffler rattles a lot too.

BTW, you may not notice it inside but on the outside you can notice the spoiler rattles too...you may not notice it on the 8" but if you crank it enough you'll hear it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well while my car was in today I had them check out my "buzz" that the sub was making.

As it turned out after they removed the panel it would appear that while building my car they forgot to install 2 of the bolts that retain the sub to the body. He said he placed some foam tabs on the install points and put all of the bolts back.

I tried it out with Gorilliaz "Clint Eastwood" and thumped the hell out of it and rattle was gone. now the only thing that is rattleing is the mirrors so all is well!:cool:

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Check out what RadrussRT did. I took his idea and did my car except only behind the subs and the opposing (drivers side) location. Not only did the buzz go away but the Subs sounds thicker and nicer sounding. He got some really good shots to show the project. Hope I sent the correct link.

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2492

Silver SXT Sport, 2.0 CVT, Intake & Exhaust Mods, Rear Spoiler, Tints, Short Antenna, tweeters add on, Blacked Out Treatments, MOPAR logos

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I forgot to add one more thing that at the rear corners you have these hotdog bun looking cutouts. They lead to the vents which pass air through behind the rear bumper sides. I insulated it all with exception of these holes, left open. Didn't know if I needed to leave it open but I did. Like I said before the subs sounds better.
Thanks to RadrussRT!

·
Registered
40 Posts
my musicgate sub now makes a chirping noise when the bass is thumping. It sounds almost exactly like a cricket noise from the outside and inside and is very annoying. Is there an easy fix that I can do? i'd much rather not go to the dealership and have to drop my car off for this. I'm only 20 and they won't give out rentals unless your 23.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Does it sound electronic from the speakers or physical like a vibration. Did you insulate the sub panel area? The only weird noise I use to have was a buzzing/vibrating noise. Check out the link that I sent eariler from RadrussRT if you think it could be this. I didn't do the whole rear section but insulated only around the subs and the drivers side rear panel, so I didn't need to remove the rear seats. Was sort of tight but easy. Also at the time you have the sub panel opened you can try it and see what's up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ninbri64 said:
my musicgate sub now makes a chirping noise when the bass is thumping. It sounds almost exactly like a cricket noise from the outside and inside and is very annoying. Is there an easy fix that I can do? i'd much rather not go to the dealership and have to drop my car off for this. I'm only 20 and they won't give out rentals unless your 23.
When they "repaired"(put the bolt that were missing) they had put little foam tabs to prevent the plastic caseing of the sub from rubbing on the metal mounting points to prevent another squeek from developing.

You may have to do this or have it done to help I think to solve the problem.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I had this problem as well. What I did was I pulled back the plastic that covers the subwoofer. That goes the whole length of the rear compartment. It has a screw that also houses the tie down thingy near the opening in the rear. Unscrew that and take the black tie down thingy off. Then it will just unsnap if you give it a steady and kind of hard pull backwards. It may sound likes it broke, but it really didn't.

Then you will see the subwoofer. Its probably housed in black plastic. You will see a mid-sized bolt on the very bottom. All I did was tighten up that bolt and the vibration went away for me. It was kind of loose so I gave it a couple of good tugs. Then I tested it with some tunes that had some bass to it, turn it up and I couldn't make it do it again. Still to this day its still not there. The plastic just snaps back into place. Its not really necessary to take it all the way off. Be careful of where the plastic goes under the rear passenger seat belt. It may come off from under were its supposed to be. Make sure it goes under the seat belt holder.

Not to throw the thread off topic but, when I was doing this, I had the black paper-like cover thats above the spare tire off and I saw the amp to the right, and there was another box on the left with yellow connectors on it. Does anyone know what the box with the yellow connectors is? I thought I remember reading somewhere that anything on a vehicle with yellow connectors signifies airbag things? Would I be correct? Could this be the box for the side curtain airbags?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I heard that is for the Satellite/Navigation System. I don't have that and notice that you do. For that black cardboard cover I cut slots/holes at various areas around the amp. A worker at the dealer told me about that and he works with car stereos as well, not needed but wouldn't hurt. I need to install the foam pads like Satellitedriver since that makes sense. Yeah I did notice my bolts also were not tight as I removed the sub when insulating the panels.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yeah that could be the Sirius Receiver. I never thought of that. If anyone has that same box on the left, bang on it and see if the side curtain airbags come out. :p ;)

Then we'll all know! :D

·
Registered
976 Posts
It is the Sirius receiver located drivers side rear under cargo floor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts