Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought the car into the dealer this past week for a "roaring" noise. I knew it was the hub bearings but since it's under warranty I have to let the dealer correct it.

I was of course right, both rear hub bearings are history. They special ordered them and should be next week to get them done. The rotors are also out of round and will be turned as well, if they don't clean up the dealer will replace them under warranty.

22,000 miles on the vehicle right now. The noise came really quick and we drove it only two days before we brought it in.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Could that be from lack of lubing? I have the ultimate service contract which includes full lube every 6k, but one has to wonder if it is done.

Another question, are the newer bearings sealed "cartridges" or are they still the old type? I haven't looked under the car to see if there is any grease fittings.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sealed bearings, no lube is necessary.

Special ordered part. Will not see them for about a week. Not a normal failure part.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
And your still running factory wheels too?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Latest update from DODGE. The rear hub bearings were not the problem. Both Dealer tech and I were fooled. Rear differential grenaded. He put the hubs on and was testing it for the noise that was still there --- and the rear diff launched!!!

He also believes the transfer case may have been damaged from the free spinning driveshaft at launch time. Oh boy, Oh joy. It's gonna be down for some time according to the dealer. Just dumped my extra car last month when I bought the 07 Sebring. Wife now wants the Sebring and says I can have the Caliber.

PS Yes I was running the stock 18" rims.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Wow...sorry to hear about the problem. I've had a road-noise sound that the dealer told me was a result of defective rear tires. I don't agree, but I didn't have any other things to consider. And NOW...I read about your problems. Thanks for the information. We made our purchases around the same as I recall. I've only got a bit over 17000 on it, but that's because I don't drive that far daily.

Since they were wrong about the hub bearings, do they eat the cost. Also, does it count against a future warranty fix on same item?

Keep me informed. What kind of loaner are they giving you?

Tyke

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Loaner?? Oh please don't start there. They had the car the entire week before and only looked at it 4:00 Friday when I pulled some strings. They gave it back and ordered the hubs. I dropped the car off the next Friday(today) morning and they called at 4:55 and the tech (who I know) had started on it at 3:00 and we can't give it back because of the problems. The tech called me from his cell phone as the Service Manager was explaining.

Service manager said they don't give loaners. Well I know they will give me one on Monday. Service manager also said "they will get the new diff in on Monday". Sure, right, they have a diff. in stock in the warehouse. It probably is going to come down the pike from the assembly line!!! I guess 5-10 days minimum.

Yes, MRTYKE you and I have probably owned ours the longest on this forum. As far as I know I have the VERY FIRST R/T in Ohio. Delivered the first couple of days in March 06 (according to my research one of the very first R/T's ever sold anywhere).

So far no charge on anything. All warranty repair. Even if it fails again under warranty they have to fix it.

Just read my banter, not mad, just airing it out. Really do love the car and will continue to love it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i hope the fixed it but november 06 but i only have fwd so it is just a rt problem

·
Registered
413 Posts
OrangeRT said:
Latest update from DODGE. The rear hub bearings were not the problem. Both Dealer tech and I were fooled. Rear differential grenaded. He put the hubs on and was testing it for the noise that was still there --- and the rear diff launched!!!

He also believes the transfer case may have been damaged from the free spinning driveshaft at launch time. Oh boy, Oh joy. It's gonna be down for some time according to the dealer. Just dumped my extra car last month when I bought the 07 Sebring. Wife now wants the Sebring and says I can have the Caliber.

PS Yes I was running the stock 18" rims.
Any idea how this may have occured?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When it's all fixed we will know the real reason.

He believes a pinion bearing failed on the rear diff. I just talked to him this morning (Sat) they have 1/2 day of service today. No reason, just defective is his theory right now.

Won't know until Monday on parts availability.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LATEST update:

Got the car back from the dealer on Tuesday. Roughly three weeks after problem started. They said they replaced the rear hubs twice and the problem is "gone" according to the dealer. They did not order a rear diff and the "friend" of mine who is the service tech lied.

In an effort to stall for time they said the rear diff was blown and the transfer case may be damaged. What really went on was "they were too busy and finally put the wheel hubs on that they originally ordered and now it's fixed".

One small problem, it AIN'T fixed. The noise is "slightly" different and the brake moan is gone from the rear discs. They replaced the rear rotors and wheel hubs no charge. The bearing howl is still quite audible.

I already made another appointment with the original selling dealer (who is 50 miles away) and they will check it out. In the meantime, it's parked in the garage for the next few days until they take it in.

Lesson: if your too busy just say that, I won't mind waiting longer. Now I have lost faith in my tech friend for covering this up.

Again, love the car plan on keeping it. Will post here again when the other dealer finds the problem!

·
Registered
253 Posts
drive it hard till it craps out.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That was the original plan, but the bearing howl is quite loud even with the radio at a decent level.

Other people outside the car can hear it as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts