Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

I'm considering the dodge caliber and the Mazda 3 for my first new car. I have been driving used cars all my life and I have never delt with a dealership in the process of purchasing a new car. I have $5000.00 for a downpayment and I am either going to lease or do the finance plus option because I plan on buying the car in 48 months anyways.

My question is how hard can I push the dealers to included stuff and bring the price down. I assume that they have quite a bit of lee way when it comes to playing with prices.

I am looking at an R/T FWD would it be too much for me to push them to throw in an upgrade to the 18" chrome rims and knock 25 bucks off the monthly payment for the MSRP? Or if they don't have the one im looking for making them pay for shipping to get one from another dealer anywhere in the country?

Let me know what you have gotten away with when you bought your calibers I would be intrested to know how much you wheeled and dealed for your cali's.

lata

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
When i got mine i wasnt able to do alot of dealing because they were still pretty hard to get. I managed to talk him down to $20,000 - sales tax and registration with the options listed in my sig.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good Luck with that.........I work for a Honda dealer and NOTHING comes on a Honda you have to add any and all accessories you want. We may include a set of floor mats here and there but that is about it. Long gone are the days when out parents could negotiate for something. I think Saturn kind of ruined that when they came along with there no haggle pricing. Since the Caliber is still somewhat hard to come by I would doubt that they would be willing to negotiate too much...just my .02 though!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i paid 800 less than sticker for ours. but that's because i was dealing with the sales manager only. That was all he could on it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I work with car dealers, so I can tell you that the best bet is to go in with a set price in your head, usually invoice, and stick too it, maybe at the most allow $500 over invoice, thats still a fair price by the way.

But find out what invoice is, go to Edmunds.com, KBB.com or any site like that. Stick to that price no matter what is said, walk out if you have to, go to another dealer. If you get the price YOU want, then watch all the paperwork, and question EVERYTHING on all paperwork.

But if you are going to try to get free stuff, thats only going to work with top price, and all they are doing is coming down from that to give you the "free" stuff.

Remember, if you know how much you are going to spend, you know what your payments are going to be before you step into the dealer, if you have done your homework and checked rates, don't let them talk you into the Dark Side and get you for more than you really wanted to spend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definitely look up the invoice price for the model/options you want, and use that as your base for negotiation. I got my R/T AWD (custom ordered to get the color I wanted) for $300 over invoice in October 2006 (order placed in September). I was actually surprised to get such a good deal on a new model car--the salesman started out offering me $500 over invoice, but readily agreed to $300 over.

I've never been much of one for haggling--my last car was a Saturn, and I liked them for that reason. But, the Vue was too big for my tastes, so I went looking at Calibers and fell in love. I dealt with my sales person almost entirely by e-mail--except when I went in for a test drive--so it was easier for me to negotiate (I might not have had the nerve to ask for a lower price in person).

·
Registered
37 Posts
My dad has the friends and family pricing, so I got mine for 1% below dealer invoice. I had them add an autostart, and I'm still pretty much at invoice, and well below MSRP.
Mine is also a special order, and I'm not paying any shipping or additional charges for that. It'll end up being $20,600 for an R/T AWD with ESP, music gate, heated seats, block heater, and auto start.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got my SXT for $200 over invoice and they did a dealer swap to get the Solar Yellow I wanted. The other dealer was about 50 miles in another county. We also got the wifes Caliber, also a dealer swap, and my Magnum R/T from the same dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts