Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello to all here is two queston .When do you start to see fuel improvement and at what km would you consider a car brocken in ,if i go with the manual its only 500 km but some websides tell you different ,now this is the first new car i ever purchased and if i do something wrong ,there would be only me to blame .Any advice would be greatly apreciated.Thanks Thomas

·
Registered
53 Posts
thye say 500 km is usually when it is borken in, and you can take it on the highway....I didnt see major improvments till the 700-1000km range to handling and what not....

·
Registered
683 Posts
Odd they put 500km in Canadian manuals. In the USA it says 500 miles. There is no magic number. The engine continues to wear. Decades ago it was very important to properly break in an engine. Today the machining tolerances are far better. It is no longer as critical to an engines longevity. Thats why it only takes 500km. During that time its a bad idea to bog the engine down or gun it from a dead stop. However, it is a good idea to rev the RPM's high for very brief moments during break in. The manual mentions this.

Mileage will continue to improve till you have around 5000-10000 miles on it. Thats been my experience with other new vehicles.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and there is exacly my proplem because i pickt up the car in toronto so the car hat 95km on it and ill put it on the highway wit a speed of 110kmph for about a 100 km ,so i think i should not have done this ,cheers thomas

PS: soory could not look for you in hamilton today because i was all day in port dover Sorry ;)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks huff.i have read so many diferent treads on the web and even they talk about changing the oil after the first 1000km because of metal grinding .do you still have to do this or they talk about older model cars???

·
Registered
775 Posts
There are so many differing schools of thought on how to break in a new car and for how long. I have a '96 Nissan that I bought new in '96, one of my coworkers has one that is same year and model that he also bought new. I didn't take any effort to follow any rules breaking mine in. I was up to highway speeds the day I drove it home. My coworker was very strict in driving slow for the first several hundred miles, chaning oil early, etc. Both of our cars are ten eyars old, both have over 100K miles and both cars are running just fine (I've actually had fewer probems with mine).

On the Caliber, I have about 300 miles on it now and I've already been up to 90MPH on the autobahn. Is that a bad thing to do? I don't know, but I'm not all that concerned about it. If anything breaks down in the next few years, it should be covered under warranty.

Regular tune-ups and oil changes throughout the life of the car are much more important and will affect the life of the car a lot more than following strict rules during the break-in period.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Michael K. said:
There are so many differing schools of thought on how to break in a new car and for how long. I have a '96 Nissan that I bought new in '96, one of my coworkers has one that is same year and model that he also bought new. I didn't take any effort to follow any rules breaking mine in. I was up to highway speeds the day I drove it home. My coworker was very strict in driving slow for the first several hundred miles, chaning oil early, etc. Both of our cars are ten eyars old, both have over 100K miles and both cars are running just fine (I've actually had fewer probems with mine).

On the Caliber, I have about 300 miles on it now and I've already been up to 90MPH on the autobahn. Is that a bad thing to do? I don't know, but I'm not all that concerned about it. If anything breaks down in the next few years, it should be covered under warranty.

Regular tune-ups and oil changes throughout the life of the car are much more important and will affect the life of the car a lot more than following strict rules during the break-in period.
One word about the "breakin' in thingy"!

I've been in the car business myself years ago and once picked up an imported (new) Ford Explorer 4.0 directly from the port (was bremerhaven I guess, but then.....not sure).
Standing there, waiting for the car to be ready (paperwork 'n stuff) I was entertained buy the loading crew guys, who virtually "raced" the new vehicles off the ships and all over the parking lot like mad.

That day, all my illusions about "properly breaking in" an import car immediately died :cool:

It wouldn't do any harm to the car though, if you start the relationship gently, rather than grabbing right under the Calibers skirt at the first date - just like in real live ;)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Swoop said:
One word about the "breakin' in thingy"!

I've been in the car business myself years ago and once picked up an imported (new) Ford Explorer 4.0 directly from the port (was bremerhaven I guess, but then.....not sure).
Standing there, waiting for the car to be ready (paperwork 'n stuff) I was entertained buy the loading crew guys, who virtually "raced" the new vehicles off the ships and all over the parking lot like mad.

That day, all my illusions about "properly breaking in" an import car immediately died :cool:

It wouldn't do any harm to the car though, if you start the relationship gently, rather than grabbing right under the Calibers skirt at the first date - just like in real live ;)[/quote

thanks or the advice ,special the one for the first date , now i know what i dit wrong all my live:eek: :D .Cheers thomas

·
Registered
683 Posts
tupmeier said:
thanks huff.i have read so many diferent treads on the web and even they talk about changing the oil after the first 1000km because of metal grinding .do you still have to do this or they talk about older model cars???
I doubt appreciable damage would occur if you didn't. It's not a bad idea to change oil early the first time. Frequent oil changes are an inexpensive way to improve longevity. I change mine every 3000 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts