Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the UK and am trying to buy a diesel Caliber SXT.

My problem is that I want an Inferno Red and I am being told that there are none currently with Dealers in the UK and I can't get one for October either.

Anyway one dealer told me Calibers were made in Austria but another one has told me they all come from the USA!

Do they make them outside the USA?

·
Registered
168 Posts
AFAIK, the Caliber is built in Belvidere, Illinois, using a unique (to Chrysler, at least) manufacturing plant. There are plans to build similar plants in Sterling Heights, Michigan and Fenton, Missouri but they're not up and running yet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
greenhunt said:
I live in the UK and am trying to buy a diesel Caliber SXT.

My problem is that I want an Inferno Red and I am being told that there are none currently with Dealers in the UK and I can't get one for October either.

Anyway one dealer told me Calibers were made in Austria but another one has told me they all come from the USA!

Do they make them outside the USA?
Well, I thought my hearing was going when I was told they were building them in Austria by my dealer :confused: I can only imagine that there must be some sort of assembly plant there for each of the different countries legal requirements?? My SXT CVT has a different transmission to the US version?? Plus when I saw my dealers taking delivery of their latest cars, there was paperwork on the backseat which said that they had come from Illinois?

I can't believe that they would ship the VW diesel engines to the US to put them in the cars and then ship them back??

Something is not quite right??

I know from other UK based members here that delivery is now drifting out until November :( All I can say is, it'll be well worth the wait!! :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well after a bit of research it seems that there seems to a former DC factory that builds other Chrysler models:

Production of the Chrysler 300C has begun at the Magna Steyr factory at Graz in Austria. This plant also builds the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chrysler Voyager and Chrysler Grand Voyager, and will be churning out both the Sedan (saloon) and Touring (estate) versions of the 300C.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
StephenM UK said:
Well, I thought my hearing was going when I was told they were building them in Austria by my dealer :confused: I can only imagine that there must be some sort of assembly plant there for each of the different countries legal requirements?? My SXT CVT has a different transmission to the US version?? Plus when I saw my dealers taking delivery of their latest cars, there was paperwork on the backseat which said that they had come from Illinois?

I can't believe that they would ship the VW diesel engines to the US to put them in the cars and then ship them back??

Something is not quite right??
i hate to tell you bud this is exacly whats happent,there all made in the good old USA:) ,even the diesel,Cheers Thomas

·
Registered
108 Posts
^Which would make you wonder why we're being told something different :confused:

It's not as if it would any difference to us where it's being built :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ive been told my Caliber is now at sea from the US. (delivery is now end sept/early oct down from Nov)

However, the engines will be coming from the VW plant that makes that diesel engine. Some small differences will be done on assembly in the US. A ship full of engines in crates is easier than building an engine plant for a unit only used in one of the cars that makers builds i imagine.

·
Registered
198 Posts
StephenM UK said:
Well after a bit of research it seems that there seems to a former DC factory that builds other Chrysler models:

Production of the Chrysler 300C has begun at the Magna Steyr factory at Graz in Austria. This plant also builds the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chrysler Voyager and Chrysler Grand Voyager, and will be churning out both the Sedan (saloon) and Touring (estate) versions of the 300C.

:confused:
I believe that all 300, 300C, Magnum, Charger, and soon, Challengers, come from right here in Brampton Ontario Canada.

:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Sean said:
I believe that all 300, 300C, Magnum, Charger, and soon, Challengers, come from right here in Brampton Ontario Canada.

:confused: :confused:
you are right they are made in brampton ,both of my cousin also works there and he told me to they are only made there not in austria,:D Cheers Thomas

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can only point you to the website of Magna Steyr who claim to be producing a couple of DCX vehicles:

Since June 2005, MAGNA STEYR has also been producing the Chrysler 300C in Graz for DaimlerChrysler's Chrysler Group. The vehicle is assembled on the same production line that currently builds the Jeep® Grand Cherokee, the Chrysler Voyager and the Chrysler Grand Voyager with the exclusive Stow 'n GoTM seating and storage system.

http://www.magnasteyr.com/cps/rde/x...ernet/hs.xsl/19_717.php?slideshow_akt_id=2027

Now why would a company state on their website that they are doing this if they aren't?? I would imagine that the vehicles built at Ontario are only for the North American market.

No mention of the Caliber though ;)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
well i guess they make the 300 there to but on thing is for shure that there is only on caliber plant in this world because its this plant was completly overhault just for building the caliber and a coupler jeep models who ar built on the same platform and that is in the USA ,it would be imposible to built a caliber on 300c platform plant in austria ,i meen just google ,,where is the 2007 dodge caliber built and there will be only one answer is the< Belvidere Assembly Plant in the USA,Cheers Thomas

·
Registered
198 Posts
StephenM UK said:
Now why would a company state on their website that they are doing this if they aren't?? I would imagine that the vehicles built at Ontario are only for the North American market.
The DC media site states that the 300C Touring SRT will be manufactured in Graz (as well as a few Jeep models). These are not manufactured in the Brampton plant. The others as stated, are.

Magna Steyr - Contract assembly of the Chrysler Voyager/Grand Voyager, Chrysler 300C Touring, Jeep Commander and Jeep Grand Cherokee (Graz, Austria)
Chrysler, and other manufacturers, often use one plant for global production. For example, DCX uses one plant in Mexico for world wide production of the PTs- both left and right hand drives.

Pic of the 300C touring:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wonder if I could sneek up to the plant and get a diesel verson:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts