Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to install my sub this weekend. I have the basic sound system (no musicgate) with an after market head unit. I need some ideas on where to route the rca and power cables from the front of the car to the back of the car. I'm looking for a clean install but it seams that this is going to be difficult. If there is anyone out there who did this install themselves who might be able to offer some help I would be eternally grateful.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
it's actually not hard at all.. i have mine on the drivers side routed allthe way to the back under the kick panel and sills even routed it under the brace in the hatch on the drivers side ( it's behind the qrtr panel)... not hard at all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Where did u guys get ground for the amp from?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Where the back see mounts, wouldn't that work for a ground?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Idk bro well that's were I have it but I wanted to c where other people had it at

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
My power wire and remote turn on is run down the drivers side of the car. I removed the kick panel and lower trim pieces and ran it along to the rear of the car.

The RCA wire is run on the right side of the car in the same fashion.

The ground, i used a bolt where the seat bolts to. Make sure to sand the area to make a good connection to the chassis of the car.

If you want or need pictures, let me know and i can load some up.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
on another note, holy dead thread revival :rofl:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Can u guys post pics of where you guys mounted your amps??

·
Registered
4,479 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
My power wire and remote turn on is run down the drivers side of the car. I removed the kick panel and lower trim pieces and ran it along to the rear of the car.

The RCA wire is run on the right side of the car in the same fashion.

The ground, i used a bolt where the seat bolts to. Make sure to sand the area to make a good connection to the chassis of the car.

If you want or need pictures, let me know and i can load some up.
Mine is setup in the same manner (pretty much a standard install on any car).
Someday I'll get my sub box finished so I can actually use those wires.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Mine is setup in the same manner (pretty much a standard install on any car).
Someday I'll get my sub box finished so I can actually use those wires.
Its funny, ive seen so many people route power wire through doors, underneath cars, etc etc.

I remember once when i was working for best buy, having a customer come in with the power wire run down the fender, and through the door. The door cut the insulation, and arc welded the wire to the door.

I told him to take it somewhere else :rofl:

Ive seen a lot of people run rca's along with power wire, and then they wonder why they have a lot of noise through the sub too...:notallthere:

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Its funny, ive seen so many people route power wire through doors, underneath cars, etc etc.

I remember once when i was working for best buy, having a customer come in with the power wire run down the fender, and through the door. The door cut the insulation, and arc welded the wire to the door.

I told him to take it somewhere else :rofl:

Ive seen a lot of people run rca's along with power wire, and then they wonder why they have a lot of noise through the sub too...:notallthere:
I remember my first install.....
I had originally gone to a local shop to see how much it would cost to do the install. The price was ok, but they wanted to run "Monster" power cables (problem 1) from the battery, down under the car(problem 2), and through a drilled hole into the trunk (problem 3).
I did the install myself, and continued to do stereo installs as a side ever since.

The most common mistake I see is people running the RCAs beside the power cables.
The second biggest mistake I see is people running too high a gauge of wire. 0 gauge looks hardcore, but as an installer (side hobby), I hate working with it, and know it is not needed. Some may argue that you loose power over that thick of cable.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
I remember my first install.....
I had originally gone to a local shop to see how much it would cost to do the install. The price was ok, but they wanted to run "Monster" power cables (problem 1) from the battery, down under the car(problem 2), and through a drilled hole into the trunk (problem 3).
I did the install myself, and continued to do stereo installs as a side ever since.

The most common mistake I see is people running the RCAs beside the power cables.
The second biggest mistake I see is people running too high a gauge of wire. 0 gauge looks hardcore, but as an installer (side hobby), I hate working with it, and know it is not needed. Some may argue that you loose power over that thick of cable.
ah yes, the "premium" monster cable

wow, i'm sure having wires running under the car like that is a good idea.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Yea.. 0awg wire i refuse to work with. If you need 0awg wire, youd better have a high output alternator and an optima battery first. Good ole 4awg is fine up to about 135 amps, which is what the alt on most cars put out.

In my car, i have 8awg wire run. It was free, and it is enough for the amp im running(40 amp current draw.) when i add a 4 channel, i MAY upgtade to 4awg, depending on the current draw of the 4 channel.

I cant believe an install shop would want to run wire like that...

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Yea.. 0awg wire i refuse to work with. If you need 0awg wire, youd better have a high output alternator and an optima battery first. Good ole 4awg is fine up to about 135 amps, which is what the alt on most cars put out.

In my car, i have 8awg wire run. It was free, and it is enough for the amp im running(40 amp current draw.) when i add a 4 channel, i MAY upgtade to 4awg, depending on the current draw of the 4 channel.

I cant believe an install shop would want to run wire like that...
My beliefs have always been, if you need 0 gauge wire, your doing something you're not suppose to. If there is that much power draw, a second battery should be installed in the trunk.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
My beliefs have always been, if you need 0 gauge wire, your doing something you're not suppose to. If there is that much power draw, a second battery should be installed in the trunk.
Well, if youre running some serious power, 0 awg could be useful, but you would need amps drawing about 250-350 amps.

The only amp that i know of that is a reputable amp, that draws that much, is the rockford T2500-1bdCP, which puts out 2500rms, and is fused for 300 amps. Its also $1800, i dont know too many people that have that kind of money to blow on an amp like that..

In any case, 4awg is more than enough for most applications

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is plenty of room underneath the driver's seat.. That's where I installed mine..and got the ground behind the panel where the seat belt runs. Big bolt there.... Then just run speaker wire to the back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have run 3x 0-gauge power wire under my car because that was the only option

the hole in the kickpanels near the clutch that suposed to end in the frontfender didn't work because if you remove the plastic caps that seal the hole and you remove the foam in the hole, i got screwd ... inside the hole the frame and the outside of the care where solded togheter
so inside and outside a hole but it didn't go al the way because 2 fat plats of iron where solded togheter there

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
i have run 3x 0-gauge power wire under my car because that was the only option

the hole in the kickpanels near the clutch that suposed to end in the frontfender didn't work because if you remove the plastic caps that seal the hole and you remove the foam in the hole, i got screwd ... inside the hole the frame and the outside of the care where solded togheter
so inside and outside a hole but it didn't go al the way because 2 fat plats of iron where solded togheter there
i ran wires through near the main wiring harness. there is this mega grommet...you can't miss it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
i ran wires through near the main wiring harness. there is this mega grommet...you can't miss it!
yes i have seen is, but once you are in the car with 3x 0gauge wire on that place you dont have space to move with the cable because of al the other stuff thats on that location

1 - 20 of 31 Posts