Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I'm still looking at a Caliber as one of my options. The other is a VW Rabbit 2.5L (I want a TDI Rabbit, but no luck until '08 or 09). Anyway, what engine do you have in your Caliber, and do you like how it performs? I'm thinking about a 2.0L Sport with CVT right now. The reason I ask all of this, is that I have a Wrangler with the old AMC 2.5L in it with the Chrysler ECU and multiport injection, etc. However, despite Chrysler's "upgrades" the engine still sucks even with a 5 speed. It has 120 HP @ 5600 RPM (the rev limit) and 140 lbs/ft of torque at 3250 RPM and still sucks gas. So, how are your Caliber motors? How does it compare to the motor I have in the Wrangler?

·
Registered
343 Posts
well...I don't have a Cali, but my Neon engine is WAY more advanced, reliable, smoother, efficient, and powerful than that old tech 2.5 AMC/Jeep engine

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope that they are a lot better. I can hold a speed sometimes now with it, I got the clogged cat fixed a few weeks ago, and that made a big difference. What about aftermarket support for these motors? There is none for my 2.5L and tons of it for the 4.0 and 4.2Ls, I dont want to end up in the same boat again.Any specs or personal thoughts and comments about them?

·
Registered
343 Posts
being that the Cali engines are "World Engines" with shared technology from Mitsubishi and Hyundai, I'm sure they will be alot of aftermarket products available for them in the not to distant future

·
Registered
129 Posts
2.5L that only produces 120 HP? I feel for you. My old Corolla has a 1.6L and produced 102HP.

The Caliber is only my second car, so the 2.0L Caliber engine is a big improvement in my case.

I've been babying my engine so far, so I don't really know what the advertised 158HP feels like. I think max HP is at 5600 RPMs or something like that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So far I have a 0.0 Litre Inline 0 which goes 0-60 in 7.35 years... :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm a notorious smart-ass, lmao! :D

I'm actually waiting for the SRT, but for you I've researched that the R/T may be your best bet. Especially if you're in a region where it snows often like here in Jersey. Everyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
82 Posts
FYI,

I drive mine on the german autobahn and it'll hang at 115 all day if you have the balls, it tops out about 120 though. As for how it compares, i had a 91 Wranger with the iron duke in it and I couldn't hold 65 in flat ass florida. There is absolutely no comparison between the two. CVT takes some getting used to though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
bahndrvr said:
FYI,

I drive mine on the german autobahn and it'll hang at 115 all day if you have the balls, it tops out about 120 though. As for how it compares, i had a 91 Wranger with the iron duke in it and I couldn't hold 65 in flat ass florida. There is absolutely no comparison between the two. CVT takes some getting used to though.
****, I wished I could drive that baby ALL DAY!! My bike could use the open space.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bahndrvr said:
FYI,

Thank you. That's what I wanted to know. My 2.5L AMC engine is a tad bit better supposedly than the iron duke, but I feel for ya. I got mine to doing about 95 tops one day when I was running late on '20. Wouldn't recommend that in a Wrangler again though! ;) The CVT is going to be my biggest thing with getting used to.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
i had the 2.5L 4tech in my olds calais. that motor was truely indestructable. The previous owner apparently NEVER changed the oil and it had 130k miles. I went to change the valve cover gasket and found the entire valvetrain encased in volcanic rock!... i kid you not i have witnesses. I literally chiped away at it to free up the valves and vacuumed the debris out with a shop vac. Slapped it all back togeather and it ran like a top. My sister took it when she needed a car and gave it away without me knowing when she was supposed to return it when she no longer needed it. From what i hear people still spot it cruising jamaica plains in boston.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts