Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Photographic evidence of Brembo crossdrilled rotors after a few track sessions on an STI:

All of those stress cracks are due to HEAT, which the reason why everyone gets these kind of rotors is because they are disillusioned that they somehow defy basic thermodynamic law and cool down faster and superior to blank rotors. If left unnoticed and cared for, this rotor would of literally fallen apart from these fractures, causing a serious and deadly accident on the track at 100+ MPH speeds from when both front calipers compressed and only one found an actual rotor, creating a heavy pull towards that direction and most likely the track wall.

·
Registered
901 Posts
wow, almost every hole has cracks. I thought Brembo was a reputable name too. What is the intended purpose of this type of rotor, if heat cracks can happen? (i.e. apparently not track racing?)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
Brembo stamps their rotars, i don't see a logo anywhere to confirm that those came from (1) an STI and are (2) made by brembro
That design is also not consistant with other brembro braking products, see below for the design:

There are LOTS of ebay crap knock offs which i have no doubt would perform like that picture lol

·
Registered
285 Posts
And even the best companies do make a flawed product. However, that also could be because of stuck brake components, wrong pads for the application, imporper burnishing, etc.

·
Registered
118 Posts
crossdrilled rotors are for the carshow and drag racing set, not the people who track their cars. Precast or simply drilled, stress relieved or not, they will develop cracks when used on a roadcourse, unless the driver is simply lapping at a recreational pace.

It doesn't matter if they are Brembo, Stoptech, Wilwood, The Brakeman, or any other brand...

·
Registered
506 Posts
i'm willing to bet money those aren't brembo... on top of that... even brembo has different rotors... some for look and some for functionality...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
mudstone said:
i'm willing to bet money those aren't brembo... on top of that... even brembo has different rotors... some for look and some for functionality...
race application designed brakes do perform better at displacing heat and brake build up... rotars with holes in them won't stop you any faster, however under repeated heavy use can withstand more abuse before fading plus there might be some benefit to less rotational mass/upsprung weight.

4 Posts
Did you ever stop to think that the cross drilling wasn't for a coolant benefit, but for reduced reciprocating mass?

If you're cooking rotors like that maybe you should look into ducting your brakes and reducing the temperature of the rotor.

I run brembo blanks on the STi, SRT-4, and the neon. :p so im not advocating the use of drilled rotors...just showing their "other" purpose in life.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cross drilling and nothing to do with cooling. When brakes are applied and used hard, the pads can "Gas" and this gas can create pockets between the rotor and pad and thus your braking is reduced. The holes or slots create a path for the brake gasses to vent off and alow full pad contact.

·
Registered
644 Posts
the rotors in my eclipse are crossdrilled/and slotted (nickleplated) rotors made by NOPI. had them on my eclipse for 2 years, no cracking no warping and i drive the hell outa that car.

·
Registered
357 Posts
blanks are best when the going, errr, stopping, gets rough. ;)

aren't most performance pads slotted already for outgassing anyways? either that or completely separate and floating "padlets" for each piston. those are wicked brakes.

·
Registered
506 Posts
you know you may be onto something... specially if drilled by someone who wasn't completely knowledgeable... you triggered my thought onto this... if you create too much heat while drilling that would make the metal more brittle. in order to drill properly you would need a constant flow of coolant going onto your rotor.... without it... and the proper step drilling the heat created would be enough to make the rotor fail like in the picture.

·
Registered
506 Posts
well hey i don't see moderator under your name!!!! lol j/k trying to be a dick like efrmj or wutever his name is.... that's what he said to me... maybe it should be in off-topic but it may be in performance as well....

·
Registered
377 Posts
The way I see it is that they still affect the performance of the vehicle. Whether it be in a positive or negative fashion is irrelevant, LOL.

They have some other neat stuff on that site as well. I want to see the first Caliber with a Flux Capacitor installed.

·
Registered
506 Posts
oooh oooh i want a flux capacitor in my car... maybe then and only then will we see completion of THE DEVICE... thunder crashing in backround MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH MUAHAHAHAHAHA MUAHA MUAHA HAH

1 - 20 of 32 Posts