Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a strange pulsing in the interior air pressure when my callie reaches 25+ mph. This only ocurrs when one of the rear windows is down and all of the other windows (and sunroof) are closed. It kinda sounds like a blown speaker that has a lot of power behind it that is switching on and off very rapidly (it can give you a headache really fast). Anyone else having a similar problem? I wonder if it has more to do with the aerodynamic properties of the body or if it's just a bad seal in my SXT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts
That's actually very common on four door cars. In some cars you'll expereince it at lower speeds than in other cars depending on the aerodynamics of the car and the size of the cabin. In my Nissan, if I roll one rear window down, I start getting that "pulsing" at around 40-50MPH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
As the previous responses stated, wind buffeting - and how to prevent/reduce/relieve it - has been mentioned in various previous discussions here. Just put the keyword "buffeting" in the search feature for any more details.

In addition, speaking of the "aerodynamic properties", here is the link to an informative design article about Daimler/Chrysler; I had posted this link in one of the past discussions:

http://www.deskeng.com/Articles/Appl...041201213.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
Harley said:
In addition, speaking of the "aerodynamic properties", here is the link to an informative design article about Daimler/Chrysler; I had posted this link in one of the past discussions:

http://www.deskeng.com/Articles/Appl...041201213.html
hmpf. Did they not do this high-tech modeling for Caliber? Because the buffeting is the WORST of any car that I've ever owned, including 3 previous DCX vehicles.

Question for those of you with VentShades installed on the windows-- do you still get that wind buffeting noise, with the VentShades on? (You'd think those would change the air flow as the car moves.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
It is actually called cavitaion. I had the exact same issue in my PT Cruiser. I have order Vent Visors for my caliber (it solves the issue). If you deside to get a set, don't get them from Dodge, get the ones that fit in the channel not the type that uses the 3M tape to the body.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
i hade the same experience ,it feelt like my ears going to explode ,if you leaf the windows about 3 inches open it will go away ,Cheers thomas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
steveb said:
It is actually called cavitaion. I had the exact same issue in my PT Cruiser. I have order Vent Visors for my caliber (it solves the issue). If you deside to get a set, don't get them from Dodge, get the ones that fit in the channel not the type that uses the 3M tape to the body.
The in-channel type are not available yet. One vendor is working on it, but they are not released yet. (There's another thread here that says this: http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26261&postcount=9 )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
hmpf. Did they not do this high-tech modeling for Caliber? Because the buffeting is the WORST of any car that I've ever owned, including 3 previous DCX vehicles.

Question for those of you with VentShades installed on the windows-- do you still get that wind buffeting noise, with the VentShades on? (You'd think those would change the air flow as the car moves.)
The PT Cruiser is worse than the Caliber. I rented a PT Cruiser once and it bugged the hell out of me. I was going to get a PT Cruiser until the Caliber came out. Even he Jeep Liberty does this(rented one of those as well). Not sure why newer cars are wore for it. Never had problems with the family 4-door cars growing up. just the newer cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
HSKR said:
The PT Cruiser is worse than the Caliber. I rented a PT Cruiser once and it bugged the hell out of me. I was going to get a PT Cruiser until the Caliber came out. Even he Jeep Liberty does this(rented one of those as well). Not sure why newer cars are wore for it. Never had problems with the family 4-door cars growing up. just the newer cars.
I was just going to say that. My PT can suck the ear wax out if you have the roof open and windows shut. Just crack a window open till it stops
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
Question for those of you with VentShades installed on the windows-- do you still get that wind buffeting noise, with the VentShades on? (You'd think those would change the air flow as the car moves.)

yes, depending on how the windows are opened. it's standard practice for me to open the driver's window, then crack the same side rear window to vent and get rid of buffeting and cross winds. it's just physics. like how some people don't like droning exhausts. I kinda' like it, all resonant and booming at just... that... rpm. boooommmmmmmmmmm :p alas this car has no such boom. it's more like a fun marshmellow on wheels. mine's blue. haha :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts
HSKR said:
Not sure why newer cars are wore for it. Never had problems with the family 4-door cars growing up. just the newer cars.
My dad used to get mad at us kids when we would roll a back window down in his '72 Impala. The buffetting sounded a lot like driving on a flat tire. We were only allowed to roll the back windows down at highway speeds if one of the front windows was down as well (the buffetting wasn't noticeable at speeds around town). For some reason opening a front window drastically reduced the buffetting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts


Auto Ventshade In Channel Vent Visors

  • In Channel Ventvisors Keep Rain Out And Let Fresh Air In.
  • No Exterior Tape Touches The Vehichle.
  • Decreased Wind Noise.[/FONT]
  • Custom In Channel Vent Visor Applications Available For Most 2&4 Door Pickup Trucks, Cars, Vans, And SUV's.
  • Smoke Color
  • In Channel Vent Visors Are Constructed Of Reinforced Acrylic.
  • Autoventshade Offers A Manufacturers Lifetime Limited Warranty.
  • In Channel Vent Visors Require No Drilling For Installation.
http://www.svcustoms.com/catalog/AutoventshadeInChannelVentvisors.shtml#6066

and they actullay have a good price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
steveb said:


Auto Ventshade In Channel Vent Visors

  • In Channel Ventvisors Keep Rain Out And Let Fresh Air In.
  • No Exterior Tape Touches The Vehichle.
  • Decreased Wind Noise.[/FONT]
  • Custom In Channel Vent Visor Applications Available For Most 2&4 Door Pickup Trucks, Cars, Vans, And SUV's.
  • Smoke Color
  • In Channel Vent Visors Are Constructed Of Reinforced Acrylic.
  • Autoventshade Offers A Manufacturers Lifetime Limited Warranty.
  • In Channel Vent Visors Require No Drilling For Installation.
http://www.svcustoms.com/catalog/AutoventshadeInChannelVentvisors.shtml#6066

and they actullay have a good price.
Nice! Thanks for the heads up! Product looks great and durable as well.
Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
steveb said:


Auto Ventshade In Channel Vent Visors


.
Am I the only one you PMed this post to???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
I've noticed that if you get the wind-buffeting effect going really good while you have anything by Ozzie Osborn playing on your MusicGate system - he actually sounds normal in a Michael Bolton kind of way... ;) :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Harley said:
I've noticed that if you get the wind-buffeting effect going really good while you have anything by Ozzie Osborn playing on your MusicGate system - he actually sounds normal in a Michael Bolton kind of way... ;) :rolleyes:
now that's scary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
steveb said:


Auto Ventshade In Channel Vent Visors

  • In Channel Ventvisors Keep Rain Out And Let Fresh Air In.
  • No Exterior Tape Touches The Vehichle.
  • Decreased Wind Noise.[/FONT]
  • Custom In Channel Vent Visor Applications Available For Most 2&4 Door Pickup Trucks, Cars, Vans, And SUV's.
  • Smoke Color
  • In Channel Vent Visors Are Constructed Of Reinforced Acrylic.
  • Autoventshade Offers A Manufacturers Lifetime Limited Warranty.
  • In Channel Vent Visors Require No Drilling For Installation.
http://www.svcustoms.com/catalog/AutoventshadeInChannelVentvisors.shtml#6066

and they actullay have a good price.
AWSOME!!!!! Thanks Just placed my order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
My '03 Subaru Legacy has the same issue, so basically I just don't drive with the rear windows down (the rear windows only go about about 3/4 of the way down due to the design of the car). If I need air, I open both front windows and/or open the sunroof.

Oh, and the side mirror on the passenger side "sings" to me at around 60mph if there's a crosswind.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top