Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the rumours continue to mount about delayed availability and the on the lot for sale time frame looks more and more like late summer not including the ineviatable waiting list do you plan to hold out for the srt4 no matter what?

I know my patience has worn down thin... like many when i first learned about the caliber srt4 last year i had made plans for a spring 07 delivery, as that looks less and less likely i am re-thinking my plans as i don't want to take delivery of a new car past August again given the short new car feel time before getting into winter.

So, you going to keep waiting or move on? With both the new STI/EVO launching this fall it might be worth to save a little more over the winter and get one of them in the spring

·
Registered
728 Posts
I am seriously losing interest in the Caliber. The longer we have to wait the more of a bad idea it seems to be. The fact that they would release something like this that close to fall is ridiculous... like you said, who wants to buy a new car JUST IN TIME for winter and all the SALT that comes with it.

Dodge really screwed themselves on this one, they already KNEW that a TON of people hated the Caliber SRT, especially as a replacement to the Neon SRT but now, it seems like they are disgracing the good name that the Neon SRT4 created.

It's almost like this new Caliber is the retarded cousin to the other more successful models.

Again, it BLOWS my mind to find a 2008 Dodge Avenger sitting on a car lot ALREADY when the Caliber SRT is nowhere to be found. Maybe i'll just buy the Avenger...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ironside said:
I am seriously losing interest in the Caliber. The longer we have to wait the more of a bad idea it seems to be. The fact that they would release something like this that close to fall is ridiculous... like you said, who wants to buy a new car JUST IN TIME for winter and all the SALT that comes with it.

Dodge really screwed themselves on this one, they already KNEW that a TON of people hated the Caliber SRT, especially as a replacement to the Neon SRT but now, it seems like they are disgracing the good name that the Neon SRT4 created.

It's almost like this new Caliber is the retarded cousin to the other more successful models.

Again, it BLOWS my mind to find a 2008 Dodge Avenger sitting on a car lot ALREADY when the Caliber SRT is nowhere to be found. Maybe i'll just buy the Avenger...
couldn't agree more, i'll either buy a car this spring or wait until the following summer and get something else (evo x if it is affordable)... i bought our 2004 matrix xrs in the fall, didn't take long for the matts to get salty, the car to be dirty let alone you need to buy a set of winter wheels and tires right away. not going down that path again... sure sucks for this summers plans though

dodge will sell lots of srt4's for sure, i just think they are losing the people not willing to play their waiting game any longer

·
Registered
687 Posts
Like I said before maybe it has something to do with the fact that the BAP Belvidere Assy Plant where the Caliber is built currently is the only DCX plant building two other new lanuch vehicles (JEEP Compass & Patriot) all within the same year.

OK maybe DCX set their goal a bit TOO HIGH, but don't hate them for that! :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
Like I said before maybe it has something to do with the fact that the BAP Belvidere Assy Plant where the Caliber is built currently is the only DCX plant building two other new lanuch vehicles (JEEP Compass & Patriot) all within the same year.

OK maybe DCX set their goal a bit TOO HIGH, but don't hate them for that! :D
they shouldn't make promises in public that they can't keep.... under promise, over deliver=happy customers.

dodge, if you are reading this... add awd and 50hp and i'll forgive you

·
Registered
728 Posts
Unoriginalusername said:
they shouldn't make promises in public that they can't keep.... under promise, over deliver=happy customers.

dodge, if you are reading this... add awd and 50hp and i'll forgive you
lol... X2

·
Registered
567 Posts
that belvideer plant, i heard from someone in my college class, says they have problems with the new assemply system with robots or what ever, so they say, that the calibers themselves arnt getting off the assembly line very quit, i guess few hands touch the car, mostly robots.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
srtman said:
that belvideer plant, i heard from someone in my college class, says they have problems with the new assemply system with robots or what ever, so they say, that the calibers themselves arnt getting off the assembly line very quit, i guess few hands touch the car, mostly robots.
that was the problem last june/july when there was a big backlog of orders, they released a statement addresssing the issue and soon had it fixed

·
Registered
26 Posts
The lease on my current vehicle ends at the end of March 2008...I thought this would be prefect timing b/c the Caliber SRT4 would be out for a year or so...they might add some stage kits by then...and all the major bugs should be worked out. But now it seems it might not be at the dealership until that point! This is almost as bad as GM showing us a Camaro (Jan 06) that will not be available until late 09....they are losing all their thunder...what gives?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
xcler8 said:
The lease on my current vehicle ends at the end of March 2008...I thought this would be prefect timing b/c the Caliber SRT4 would be out for a year or so...they might add some stage kits by then...and all the major bugs should be worked out. But now it seems it might not be at the dealership until that point! This is almost as bad as GM showing us a Camaro (Jan 06) that will not be available until late 09....they are losing all their thunder...what gives?
lol 2008 might be cutting it close lol jk :p it does seem like car companies are showing products they can't sell for some time more often than in the past

·
Registered
728 Posts
I talked to someone at my dealership today who's husband works for corporate (downtown Windsor Chrysler HQ).

She called up two contacts that she has at the Canadian headquarters and asked them about the Caliber SRT4 and whether or not they would plan to make the Avenger/Sebring in SRT trim.

Although he said he didn't know about the SRT Avenger, he DID say that we would "see the Caliber SRT4 next year".

So, according to this guy who is the rep for the Dodge brand in Canada (trust me, the source is reliable)... he claimed the SRT4 wont be around until "next year".

It can be interpreted two ways... he MAY have meant that it would be next years model "i.e. 2008" or he could have meant what we all fear, that it wont actually be on the streets until 2008.

He was also a source for some information about problems they were having with the frames bending during testing.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ironside said:
I talked to someone at my dealership today who's husband works for corporate (downtown Windsor Chrysler HQ).

She called up two contacts that she has at the Canadian headquarters and asked them about the Caliber SRT4 and whether or not they would plan to make the Avenger/Sebring in SRT trim.

Although he said he didn't know about the SRT Avenger, he DID say that we would "see the Caliber SRT4 next year".

So, according to this guy who is the rep for the Dodge brand in Canada (trust me, the source is reliable)... he claimed the SRT4 wont be around until "next year".

It can be interpreted two ways... he MAY have meant that it would be next years model "i.e. 2008" or he could have meant what we all fear, that it wont actually be on the streets until 2008.

He was also a source for some information about problems they were having with the frames bending during testing.
:eek: la-la-la-la not listening :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ironside said:

Hope i can clear some of this up.I work skilled trades in the body shop at BAP.Last weekend the hood fixture for the srt was hung up on the assembly line and a rack or srt hoods showed up this weekend.The srt hoods are outsourced.From what i have been told some srt's will be run down the line in early February and if everything is going ok production will start some time in march or april.Not sure how many they plan on running at first but the time seems to be getting near for this car to start production.I should know more in a couple weeks and when these things start coming down the line i will stop back in here and let everyone know.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hawksview said:
Hope i can clear some of this up.I work skilled trades in the body shop at BAP.Last weekend the hood fixture for the srt was hung up on the assembly line and a rack or srt hoods showed up this weekend.The srt hoods are outsourced.From what i have been told some srt's will be run down the line in early February and if everything is going ok production will start some time in march or april.Not sure how many they plan on running at first but the time seems to be getting near for this car to start production.I should know more in a couple weeks and when these things start coming down the line i will stop back in here and let everyone know.
Thanks, i like the sounds of your news more than others lol... don't get yourself in trouble though keeping us entertained. Might be safter to just PM me all the latest and greatest info LOL :D

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes, hawsview you don't want to get in trouble like the guy that way passing Neon SRT-4 info on the forums. People from Corp came to talk to him. Go ahead and ask your union reps about it. The biggest worry though is our competitors knowing the market timing of our moves before they are complete.

When we do start building the Caliber SRT-4 they will only be pilot vehicles with the final production launch to be announced sometime later. The date for production launch will be determined by the problems/results of the pilot vehicles and how long it might take to fix any bugs. As I said before, my GUESS would be the end of July 2008.

·
Registered
728 Posts
IBUILDCALIBERSUAW1268 said:
Yes, hawsview you don't want to get in trouble like the guy that way passing Neon SRT-4 info on the forums. People from Corp came to talk to him. Go ahead and ask your union reps about it. The biggest worry though is our competitors knowing the market timing of our moves before they are complete.

When we do start building the Caliber SRT-4 they will only be pilot vehicles with the final production launch to be announced sometime later. The date for production launch will be determined by the problems/results of the pilot vehicles and how long it might take to fix any bugs. As I said before, my GUESS would be the end of July 2008.
Which would explain why the guy at chrysler corporate office said we would all see the Caliber SRT-4 "next year" :(

·
Registered
687 Posts
When I said my guess for the production model launch of the Caliber SRT-4 was July of 2008.... I ment 2008 model year in the Summer of 2007.

Sorry I was not more clear and I'm sorry to scare any of you!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts