Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Good idea! So what did you use? It looks as if it hooks over and into the window. I've got a pad for the other armrest, I still haven't made it permanent. But I sure use that window armrest a lot.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The most expensive part is the spay on glue.
A piece of aluminium for sideing soffit cut to the shape you want, allowing for 3/8 inch bend on the side for the window.
1 piece of Creative hands foam sheet and 1 sheet of felt from the craft store.
After cutting the aluminiun make a 90 degree bend on the window edge
sand all the edges so there not sharp this is the substrait
Next put it on the car and form the metal to the door
Away from the car spray on glue to the face that is going to recieve the foam (I used two layers glued one after the other) trim foam
Spray glue on the foam and the inside edges of the metal apply the felt on the bend and the foam rapping it to the underside of the metal and allow the glue to dry add felt to the under side so the plastic won't get scratched then hook it on. It's quite comfortable and doesn't move.
You can use any foam you like I just didn't want it to look way out of place with thick foam.

·
Registered
371 Posts
So how many hours did you lie awake figuring all of that out? Pretty darn clever. Thanks.

Fitz

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the second version the original was made with nylon substrait but I couldn't form it as well as the aluminium. I toyed with other shapes and cover materials, but the felt was cheap and works well, and my arm doesn't sweat when rested on it for long drive like it would with nalgahide (sp) or other plastic type coverings

·
Registered
644 Posts
good idea... i know my elbow hurts on long trips etc... seems like there sould be a way to make it removeable though in case you get tired of it... none the less, very creative...

·
Registered
689 Posts
mealso said:
This is the second version the original was made with nylon substrait but I couldn't form it as well as the aluminium. I toyed with other shapes and cover materials, but the felt was cheap and works well, and my arm doesn't sweat when rested on it for long drive like it would with nalgahide (sp) or other plastic type coverings
Don't remind me about the Naugas, I still cry every night knowing that we made the Naugas extinct by using Naugahide on our furniture.:( They were such cute little creatures, it took 400 Naugas for an average sofa, I can still hear the screams from the back of the furniture store when they were slaughtering those little creatures for their hide. ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
ejfb said:
Don't remind me about the Naugas, I still cry every night knowing that we made the Naugas extinct by using Naugahide on our furniture.:( They were such cute little creatures, it took 400 Naugas for an average sofa, I can still hear the screams from the back of the furniture store when they were slaughtering those little creatures for their hide. ;)
Years ago, I told my nephew, that I was once a Nauga hunter, and that I used to go to South America to hunt them, and that I had actually been attacked by a ferocious Nauga once. Mine weren't very cute. He believed me for years after that. Thanks for helping me to find that brain cell, I thought I had lost it.;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Darren07RT said:
good idea... i know my elbow hurts on long trips etc... seems like there sould be a way to make it removeable though in case you get tired of it... none the less, very creative...
It is removeable it hooks on to the top edge of the sill and can be lifted off at anytime.

·
Registered
644 Posts
oh nice :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts