Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had window tint on any of my previous vehicles, can anyone explain to me what the numbers mean and what is the most common degree of tint. I know that some states have differnt regulations on this, I live in Virginia.

Also two other things concern me about window tint. 1) WHAT IS THE LIFE OF THE TINT? MY DEALERSHIP WOULD BE INSTALLING IT. 2) HOW DARK IS TO DARK? I DON'T WANT TO HAVE ANY PROBLEMS SEEING AT NIGHT:eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Brandon - I live in Va also. The smaller the percentage, the darker the tint. In Va, you can put 50% on the front doors and 35% on all the rest. i've been quoted $220 to do all my windows. What part of Va are you in?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in Virginia Beach, VA and I am melting in this heat wave todays highs are expected to reach 103 to 105, thanks for the info on the tint

·
Registered
198 Posts
Brandon said:
I have never had window tint on any of my previous vehicles, can anyone explain to me what the numbers mean and what is the most common degree of tint. I know that some states have differnt regulations on this, I live in Virginia.

Also two other things concern me about window tint. 1) WHAT IS THE LIFE OF THE TINT? MY DEALERSHIP WOULD BE INSTALLING IT. 2) HOW DARK IS TO DARK? I DON'T WANT TO HAVE ANY PROBLEMS SEEING AT NIGHT:eek:
The LOWER the number, the DARKER the tint. 5% means 5% of light can pass through.

Life of the tint- should be LIFE TIME, unless the film gets ripped or scratched.

How dark is dark? See above.... 5% is REALLY dark. 35% is fine.

S

·
Registered
135 Posts
I know this isn't directly related to you question, but I thought I would let you know. Just be sure to use cleaner that is ammonia free. If you don't the tint will turn that purple color :mad: YUCK!!! So in other words what ever you do don't use Windex. Most of the "tint safe" cleaners will say "safe for tinted windows" or "Ammonia Free" I personally like Invisible Glass. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is it better to have the windows tinted at the factory? Or after market?
What's the differences? Mine is on order but never ordered the tint. Is it too late to order the tint?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I live in VA also.. I went 50 on the fron t doors, 35 on the back doors, and 20 in the rear and I have no problems at night. You casee pics in the other thread linked.

·
Registered
131 Posts
BethJ said:
I know this isn't directly related to you question, but I thought I would let you know. Just be sure to use cleaner that is ammonia free. If you don't the tint will turn that purple color :mad: YUCK!!! So in other words what ever you do don't use Windex. Most of the "tint safe" cleaners will say "safe for tinted windows" or "Ammonia Free" I personally like Invisible Glass. :)

Beth...Invisible Glass is the BEST. I've used them all. Best one I've ever seen. DITTO, DITTO and DITTO.

·
Registered
911 Posts
As far as I know you can't have the windows tinted in the Caliber from the factory, but you can the Compass. I think its because the Caliber is classified as a wagon or sedan which is illegal in some states to tint any windows, and the Compass is classified as an SUV which can have tinted windows in the rear legally. At least, thats the way it is in NYS.

I plan on tinting my back side and hatch windows in my Caliber. I figure the Caliber looks enough like an SUV that nobody will care. Also if you don't tint the drivers side window 99% of the time, no police will pull you over for illegal window tinting.

Definitely get it done though. I think it makes the Caliber look awesome in any color.

·
Registered
198 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
As far as I know you can't have the windows tinted in the Caliber from the factory, but you can the Compass. I think its because the Caliber is classified as a wagon or sedan which is illegal in some states to tint any windows, and the Compass is classified as an SUV which can have tinted windows in the rear legally. At least, thats the way it is in NYS.
The PT Cruise is also classified as a wagon, and it came with factory tint, rear windows only.

I think it was a cost cutting measure. Either way, the car SCREAMS for tint IMHO!

S

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put 5% all the way around mine. sometimes its hard to see out of, but for me its worth it for the totally black look. And, i dont like the look of some windows being darker than others.

·
Registered
50 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:

I plan on tinting my back side and hatch windows in my Caliber. I figure the Caliber looks enough like an SUV that nobody will care. Also if you don't tint the drivers side window 99% of the time, no police will pull you over for illegal window tinting.

Definitely get it done though. I think it makes the Caliber look awesome in any color.
Yes, that makes sense. Thanks! I'm definetly going to tint....makes a big difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts