Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone from GENOA, Italy.
I posted on the USA caliber forum a thread about my problem with the windscreen of my Caliber but at this time without a positive outcome; there's porbably something wrong on my winds. as after few minutes of driving my eyes got some problems like tired, after many hours of drive, something like a sense of uneasiness.
It appears very clear on the main part of the glass, the one mostly used when driving, that there's an area where objects shots outside (e.g. a rounded road sign) appears lenghtned on the vertical side and probably this distortion of the field view cause me some problems.
Here in Italy I'm in touch with two other Caliber owners that noted the similar failure on the windscreen by with different collateral effect, one noted but do not care so much, the other guy feeels more or less my same uneasiness.
My personal conviction is that two are the possible causes:
1) a stock of windscreen failured, limited to few pieces
2) the main engineering project of the windscreen is wrong, but depending from person to person, this can cause or not eyes problems when driving.
Did someone noted somenthing similar on his Caliber? I only add that I'm 42 and my view is pretty good (10/10 each eye), I don't wore glasses (apart sunglasses) and i never met problems like this.
Your opinion on the matter will be highly appreciated, dear all.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Not sure about distorting the outside or causing eye fatigue, but I have notices something weird on mine when driving at night. When the headlights hit the reflectors on the road, something with the windsheild causes what apopears to be a beam of light coming out the top of the reflectors. It has thrown me off on more than one occasion thinking that there were poles or pylons on the road insead of just flat reflectors.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not to minimalize your problem magiclilla, but have you had your eyes tested recently to rule out any visual changes? I can't say I ever heard of a similar complaint.

In any case I'm moving this thread into the Problems / Dealer Service forum. You will get more attention to this there.

Medic

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had a Ford Windstar that distorted my view. It was worse at night, but anytime I drove it the distortion made me uneasy. The dealer replaced it under warranty as it had delaminated, and the plastic film between the inner and outer glass was rippled. If your dealer won't replace yours, then throw a rock at it and have your insurance cover replacement.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just so you get both sides Magiclilla, I have not noticed any distortion during the day nor at night.

My guess would be a faulty batch of windshields and I would think the dealer could readily see the problem and agree to replace the windshield.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
If you look at all the glass on many cars its all pretty irregular. Go lay some tint film on it and you will see all the high and low spots. It may suprise you how much transparency and perspective hide imperfections. I would guess for the windshield they use a lower tolerance for this exact reason but as with anything inspected by human eyes there is always chance for error. I would complain to your dealership and see if they notice it as well.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Prop1 - :cool: Real world ideas for real world problems. Your so correct, if the dealer or dealers fail to fix the problem the insurance company is always a backup plan. :eek:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Have not noticed. Day, night, rainy driving just fine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I worked in the automotive glass industry for 10 years. I've seen thousands of windshields. Unfortunately, even with the best OE glass out there, there are some with distinct distortion. When you lay a large piece of glass at a pretty decent angle, and then add the angles of the human with vision through that glass, you'll get the distortion.

I'd go back to the dealer and have them replace it under warranty. It shouldn't be a big deal. Ford had tons of problems with this on their Aerostar van a few years back.

·
Registered
746 Posts
i am never quite sure if it's a dsitortion on my windshield or if it's the reflection of the dashboard... there's this horizontal line that crosses right infront of my driving position and directly in my line of sight. i've bobbed my head up and down and there seems to be a ripple of vision in front of me when it crosses that line... i've had to replace my windshield due to a crack from a ****head commuter, but the second one still has the problem. so either i've gotten two crappy windshields or it's just the reflection...

no one else seems to have the problem though eh?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I had a 1993 Nissan Altima that I had the windshield replaced. The first replacement gave me a headache to look through. When moving my head from side to side I could see quite a bit of distortion where certain areas looked rather wavy. The 2nd replacement also had this trouble although in a different spot of the windshield. I then requested they use OEM glass rather than 3rd party. The 3rd try was fine.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I've noticed what looks like round distortions in my back glass, but haven't done anything about it yet. I can see it better after washing and drying it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi superbang, what you see is only the windscreen refraction of the part of the console. If you try a pair of polarized sunglasses the problem is simply fixed.
Try and let me know.
As far as my view capacity I'm 10/10 for each eye, so the problem is not in my view; someonen have to telll me what's wrong, why I'm feeling so bad after 20 minutes of drove?For shure is looking through the windscreen, as if i look into other directions no problems at all!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
magiclilla said:
Hi superbang, what you see is only the windscreen refraction of the part of the console. If you try a pair of polarized sunglasses the problem is simply fixed.
Try and let me know.
As far as my view capacity I'm 10/10 for each eye, so the problem is not in my view; someonen have to telll me what's wrong, why I'm feeling so bad after 20 minutes of drove?For shure is looking through the windscreen, as if i look into other directions no problems at all!!!
Well from what everyone's who says this distortion does happen, I think it's time to visit your dealer and get it replaced under warranty. Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Medic

·
Registered
746 Posts
well i have to replace it anyway... that chip turned into a crack all the way across the windshield in twenty minutes... the crack however is only along the windshield wipers so it's not in my way... i'll get to it when i get to it and i'll post about the third windshield for my baby... :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went two days ago to my dealer and after its check he stated that the windscreen has no failure.
So, notwidthstanding my report as weel the claim by another caliber owner here in italy the Dodge refuses its replacement.
Now I'll have to to something else to demnostrate that probably the windsceen has something wrong, i'll evaluate the possibility to ask the help from one or two the most important car magazine here in Italy, maybe they can address me to some automotive producer who has the possibility to check if maybe the glass of the windsceen has the same behaviour of a pair of glasses that causes a lens effect, the same that feels anyone who wear a pair of glasses without the need.
Once again, my position is quite clear: looking forward standing out of my Caliber, no problem at all, no disturbs at all, a can see very far without problem.
By the time i do the same when looking through the windsceen, here begin my disturb on my eyes, causing after 30 min. also headtache.
Whoever may have other suggestions, is welcome.
HAppy easter to everyone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts