Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 CSRT and my windshield wiper switch is possessed. If I bearly rub it my wipers will go off and will not stop until I turn them on all the way to fast speed then back off. Has anyone else had this problem. I am thinking on replacing the whole switch but i am not sure if that is going to work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Pablo,

You may have a bad switch, malfunctioned SCM module (Steering Control Module) or poor contacts to the 7 wires loom between SCM and knob.

That wiper's switch knob is actually a 3 bits encoder that tell SCM how you what to operate the wipers. The switch have three flexible metal blades inside.
3 bits encoder means 2^3 states that is 8 possible combinations that switch can transmit.
From that 8 states only one combination say "Stop" and all other combinations means that wipers should move somehow. So, if one blade from inside the switch is bad and make unwanted contact is normal that wipers will rather move as "possessed" than stand still, that is because you have 7 to 1 chance to do so.

You can look at the switch and using cheapest multi-meter measure continuity of pins 4,5,6 against ground (or pin7). You should get different and steady combination at each turn.
See attachment.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts