Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Should the SRT4 have AWD?

• No, I am not intersted in AWD on the SRT4 trim

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Yes, it should be standard

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Yes, it should be an option (if it's < $3000.00 more than the FWD trim)

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Yes, it should be an option (I'll pay any amount over the FWD trim for AWD)

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious how many would be willing to pay extra for AWD either as standard or as an option on the Caliber SRT4.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to be clear, the 2nd poll choice means there would be no FWD SRT4. The only Caliber SRT4 would be AWD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How do we get DCX and dodge to see this! they should know that 2/3 of us would pay extra for AWD. Then they would truly be competing with cars like the EVO and WRX STi (and at 300 Hp doing a fine job).

Hello Dodge SRT Group READ THIS THREAD!
WE WANT AWD! And a six speed manual! :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4banger said:
It is a 6 speed manual
I'm betting he means if it is AWD, it should also have the 6 speed manual as opposed to offering only an automatic with AWD (like the Caliber RT).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Exactly if its AWD it should be a 6 speed manual. Of course I think that just about any car should be manual! I am interested to see how the CVT transmission feels and drives on the standard Caliber.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Rallye_Caliber said:
How do we get DCX and dodge to see this! they should know that 2/3 of us would pay extra for AWD. Then they would truly be competing with cars like the EVO and WRX STi (and at 300 Hp doing a fine job).

Hello Dodge SRT Group READ THIS THREAD!
WE WANT AWD! And a six speed manual! :)
Ok when you say that 2/3 people would pay for the AWD you kind of need more then only five votes to count in order for people to listen. I am not trying to be mean but I don't think DCX will make an AWD version just because of a few people wanting it on a forum. Now after the first year of production of the FWD srt-4 version and people have kept asking for an AWD version then they might consider it seeing that they are producing a AWD base version. Just don't expect one in the first year. Plus I am sure someone out there will put the srt-4 motor with the 6 speed manual in an AWD R/T.

Last thing, could you afford to pay the extra 3000+ dollars to get an AWD version?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can one of the admins make this an "official" poll that DCX might take seriously? If you need to tinker with my poll options to do so, I wouldn't mind. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
It should definitely be a $2k-3k option. That would still keep the price below that of the Impreza WRX, and it would have a LOT more power.

They REALLY need to have an SRT-4 AWD option, that's the only way they can compete with the WRX and EVO crowd, but then again, maybe they're saving that for the sedan successor to the Neon, and not the Caliber.

On another note, is anyone else going to be disappointed if the 300HP Caliber gets beat up by the 300HP STi and 276HP Evo? Of course it's way to early to speculate, but they're not making it sound like it's going to have performance in their class, they numbers they've quoted thus far put it in the 2003 SRT-4 class.

·
Registered
7 Posts
well now that a few more people have voted, it is thus far very clear that a majority of people would like to have AWD on the SRT.
As far as competing with the STi and the Evo if you make an AWD 300Hp car that is priced below them, people will buy it. You would definitely capture a section of the market with a car like the Caliber SRT4.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
94viper said:
I dont think dodge will care about 8 ppls votes on a forum now 8000 would be a different story
I agree. I think the interest would be there for AWD on the SRT4 if there was some kind of official announcement or official poll. Like others have mentioned, it is fine and dandy that the SRT-4 Neon was geared toward younger/first time buyers and that Dodge is looking for "us" to upgrade on our next purchase. With the next SRT models being a big hike in price, that is not reasonable for a lot of us. I think something like the Caliber with AWD sitting in the mid-upper $20k price range would be the perfect car to bridge the gap between the lower and higher priced SRT models. Those are my thoughts anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well from my stance, I in general dislike FWD and have always wanted to drive somthing AWD with some zip. So if the SRT version was avilable in AWD I'd buy it right now. I'm in the market for the caliber since I have a gas guzzler SRT-10 Ram and want somthing as a beater so initiall I was looking at the base model however the SRT version might be cool enough to justify having another play car, though if I took that step I'd probly rather have a charger or viper but I'd rather find an old junker car to restore, get much better results for much less

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
AWD drive would be a nice option on the SRT, but on the other versions I think it would put a burdon on the gas mileage. It comes down if you want traction or gas mileage...all personal opinion I think.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It would be a great option. especially for modders that have the cash and abilities to push the limits of its potential that the FWD simply cant accomplish.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It comes down to cost, I think. They're rolling out a brand new model for the very first time. Making a car AWD takes time and money, which is one reason why the R/T is so much more expensive base than the SXT and SE. There's so much more they have to do in regards to power and transfering it to the wheels, and I don't think they wanted to risk rolling out an AWD turbo unproven model just yet.

Now if the Caliber SRT-4 sells really well, then we may be seeing an AWD version of it in the future. As hot as the Caliber is (even before it has hit the market) you know they're looking.

If we don't see it for the '07 m'y, I can almost bet we see it for the '08 m/y.

·
Registered
30 Posts
AWD isnt exactly the best option. Granted, its nice, because from a dig, it'd really pull. But, once its off the line, a FWD version can possibly catch it AND pass it. AWD systems have alot of loss in their drive system. Its tough on on the clutch and tranny, and long-term reliability is severly hindered. I'd say it'd be nice as an option at least. No AWD system should cost more than 2K, period. Most 4wd/AWD systems range from 1500-2000 anyways.

-E

1 - 20 of 27 Posts